Bill W

Neville Goddard - Feeling Is The Secret

17 posts in this topic

I could not decide which subforum to put this; Spirituality, High Consciousness, or Book Reviews.

So, I'm really getting into Neville Goddard. Would it be correct to interpret that a lot of his material is Law of Attraction? 

I'm going to post below some direct quotes from the book above and my interpretation (my interpretation in bold italic). I wondered if anyone else finds his below content quite inspirational?

Every feeling makes a subconscious impression and, unless it is counteracted by a more powerful feeling of an opposite nature, must be expressed. The dominant of two feelings is the one expressed. So for me, this could mean fully accepting and sitting with the difficult feeling but then moving on to visualising or contemplating on an alternative, more positive and empowering feeling. 

Sensation precedes manifestation and is the foundation upon which all manifestation rests (Is he saying that feelings dictate manifestation?) Be careful of your moods and feelings, for there is an unbroken connection between your feelings and your visible world. Your body is an emotional filter and bears the unmistakable marks of your prevalent emotions. Emotional disturbances, especially suppressed emotions, are the causes of all disease. To feel intensely about a wrong with-out voicing or expressing that feeling is the beginning of disease. This reminds me of a section of a Dr Phil book where he argues that we don't get away with dysfunctional thought patterns, emotions, and behaviours as much as we think we do. 

Think feelingly only of the state you desire to realize. Feeling the reality of the state sought and living and acting on that conviction is the way of all seeming miracles. A change of feeling is a change of destiny. All creation occurs in the domain of the subconscious. What you must acquire, then, is a reflective control of the operation of the subconscious, that is, control of your ideas and feelings. This reads to me like someone who has reached an advanced state? Do you think that the more you can influence your subconscious the more you can attain a degree of emotional mastery? 

The subconscious is not selective; it is impersonal and no respecter of persons. The subconscious is not concerned with the truth or falsity of your feeling. It always accepts as true that which you feel to be true. This rings very true!

The subconscious never fails to express that which has been impressed upon it. The moment it receives an impression, it begins to work out the ways of its expression. It accepts the feeling impressed upon it, your feeling, as a fact. The subconscious never alters the accepted beliefs of man. To me this highlights how we can live on auto-pilot, sleep walking through life like a puppet being controlled by our ego and/or emotions. 

However, until perfect self-control is attained, so that, in spite of appearances, you feel all that you want to feel, (this reminds me of Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take) use sleep and prayer to aid you in realizing your desired states. These are the two gateways into the subconscious. (He says sleep and prayer, but I am assuming also meditation?)

Man awake is under compulsion to express his subconscious impressions. Do not waste one moment in regret, for to think feelingly of the mistakes of the past is to reinfect yourself. Turn from appearances and assume the feeling that would be yours were you already the one you wish to be. Again, Proverbs 3:5-6 as above.

Prayer is not so much what you ask for, as how you prepare for its reception. “Whatsoever things ye desire, when ye pray believe that you have received them, and ye shall have them” [Mark 11:24]. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

The only condition required is that you believe that your prayers are already realized. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

All you can possibly need or desire is already yours. You need no helper to give it to you; it is yours now. Call your desires into being by imagining and feeling your wish fulfilled. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

Neville comes out of a different premise than Law of Attraction. the latter implies there's an outside force that is delivering your desires, all you have to do is to match the "vibration". whereas Neville states that the God powers are within you and in order for the desire to come true, we need to impress our subconscious with an end goal, and your being through a bridge of incidents will shift to that new reality.

kind of there's infinite realities in existence, and you shift to the one where your desire is true, by activating that reality/dimension with your imagination (as opposed to attracting the thing by emitting waves or whatever).

On 3/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bill W said:

I could not decide which subforum to put this; Spirituality, High Consciousness, or Book Reviews.

So, I'm really getting into Neville Goddard. Would it be correct to interpret that a lot of his material is Law of Attraction? 

Many interpret it as Law of Attraction, I was aware of the infinite realities nuance but didn't realize it as separate to LOA. I think regardless, the results achieved by his methods occur via the Law of Attraction. 

I see your post is from March, so your interpretations may have slightly changed but I'll reply anyway. I found this book "coincidentally (;)) soon after I had a big realization that FEELING is incredibly important and magical. Before this I dismissed it as something that just shouldn't be suppressed and not of much other "value". It made me realize that the feminine aspect I was trying so hard to override with logic was beautiful in itself- in the form of feeling and intuition, as I got more into spirituality. 

Every feeling makes a subconscious impression and, unless it is counteracted by a more powerful feeling of an opposite nature, must be expressed. The dominant of two feelings is the one expressed. So for me, this could mean fully accepting and sitting with the difficult feeling but then moving on to visualising or contemplating on an alternative, more positive and empowering feeling. 

I agree

Sensation precedes manifestation and is the foundation upon which all manifestation rests (Is he saying that feelings dictate manifestation?) 

Yes over mere thoughts with no feeling, like how an experience can be more traumatic/memorable the more emotion it stirs up because it transfers more easily to your subconscious from your conscious mind.

Think feelingly only of the state you desire to realize. Feeling the reality of the state sought and living and acting on that conviction is the way of all seeming miracles. A change of feeling is a change of destiny. All creation occurs in the domain of the subconscious. What you must acquire, then, is a reflective control of the operation of the subconscious, that is, control of your ideas and feelings. This reads to me like someone who has reached an advanced state? Do you think that the more you can influence your subconscious the more you can attain a degree of emotional mastery? 

I wouldn't say I have reached an "advanced state" in spirituality but I have good emotional mastery through meditation and positive psychology (a form of LOA I didn't realize at the time). To answer your second question, yes, but simply it's just practicing more mindfulness to be able to control your thoughts and feelings without them controlling you so much. Also, practicing grattitude daily helps shift perspective from the negative to positive more easily. 

However, until perfect self-control is attained, so that, in spite of appearances, you feel all that you want to feel, (this reminds me of Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take) use sleep and prayer to aid you in realizing your desired states. These are the two gateways into the subconscious. (He says sleep and prayer, but I am assuming also meditation?)

Yes, during meditation your subconscious is more receptive to impression too. Prayer can be similar to a state of meditation. But using a technique such as affirmations/visualizations/scripting before or after meditation or sleep can be beneficial to have the ideas you want easily transferred to your subconscious. 

Prayer is not so much what you ask for, as how you prepare for its reception. “Whatsoever things ye desire, when ye pray believe that you have received them, and ye shall have them” [Mark 11:24]. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

You are the creator of your reality. You are God. Yeah I'd say it's a form of LOA. 

The only condition required is that you believe that your prayers are already realized. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

"Act as if" and speak in the present tense as if anything you want is already happening/is already you current reality. If linking to energy and vibrations, you are aligning your thoughts with the same frequency as the reality you are trying to create. Thus, you ARE creating. It is already done. 

All you can possibly need or desire is already yours. You need no helper to give it to you; it is yours now. Call your desires into being by imagining and feeling your wish fulfilled. Any comments or interpretation on this? Law of Attraction? 

Similar to what I've said above, "it is yours now". Believing it will come in the future isn't sufficient, as it will always be in the future. Believe the reality you are wishing for already IS, in the present and it will be! 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Moon  how do you interpret the "feeling"? feeling it real or experiencing emotion?

asking b/c i've been studying Neville and manifestation for a while...many imply that emotions aren't necessary to manifest...even myself, i had a few major things come to me when i was in the shittiest mood...

however i'm still not sure about feeling it real, as it's happening right now. some say you have to (referring to changing a state), some say you don't, from my experience, i had to feel it in one way or another before the thing coming true. but if we've been manifesting our entire life, do we actually bother to feel it real every time? don't think so...

@General 2 So I've not been studying Neville in particular for a while, but there could be other variables involved like how naturally intuitive someone is etc.

1 hour ago, General 2 said:

i'm still not sure about feeling it real, as it's happening right now. some say you have to (referring to changing a state), some say you don't, from my experience, i had to feel it in one way or another before the thing coming true. but if we've been manifesting our entire life, do we actually bother to feel it real every time? don't think so...

Yeah we have been manifesting our whole life without knowing it or needing to feel it as if it's real, but that meant manifesting the good and the bad for most people. We manifested whatever we thought possible within the limits of our beliefs at the time. I think feeling as if it's real/you already have it just helps us consciously manifest exactly what we want. 

1 hour ago, General 2 said:

many imply that emotions aren't necessary to manifest...even myself, i had a few major things come to me when i was in the shittiest mood...

I'm not sure about this. From what I've read from him, he says this is important. 

Was it just a temporary shitty mood? did you try feel "as if" you already had it otherwise? 

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Moon i believe Neville itself is not referring to an emotion, but feeling it real.

when you already have what you want, you don't necessarily feel overexcited, just calm and relaxed, and even bored or annoyed. say if you own your dream car, there's a chance you can get anxious because of insurance/fear that someone can crash into it accidentally etc. but at the same time, you know that it is your car = feel owning it b/c it's a fact.

16 hours ago, Moon said:

Was it just a temporary shitty mood? did you try feel "as if" you already had it otherwise? 

no it had been a perpetual feeling, i think what really had manifested back then, my focus on the end result and feeling it real for a few short moments, not acting as if, which per my understanding, means continuous pretending that you have the thing you desire...

14 minutes ago, General 2 said:

@Moon i believe Neville itself is not referring to an emotion, but feeling it real.

when you already have what you want, you don't necessarily feel overexcited, just calm and relaxed, and even bored or annoyed. say if you own your dream car, there's a chance you can get anxious because of insurance/fear that someone can crash into it accidentally etc. but at the same time, you know that it is your car = feel owning it b/c it's a fact.

The manifestation is less about the car and more about the state, if you imagine a boring and worry state, that's what you are going to get.

Nothing is stopping you to imagine yourself being in that car feeling blissful and safe.

If someone is in a shitty mood constantly, they are going to get more of that until they decide otherwise. It is needed to make a conscious effort to really feel (with all senses) how you want to feel. Like an actor, embody how you would feel in a perfect condition, use physiology, affirmations, imagination, like a child pretending she is a pirate or a king or something.

One I am using these days is simple affirming: I am amazing, my life is amazing, fuck yeah, I am amazing, my life is amazing,  I love myself, I love life, I love my body, life loved me. 

While I put a big smile and spread my arms like I had won the lottery or something. Make a victory dance, jump and shit like that. You have to normalize this awesome state, make your subconscious mind be comfortable with feeling awesome and your life will change radically.

I love Neville Godard and all the New Thought Movement authors.

Manifestation doesn't depend on feeling, It can happen regardless.  When you realize you create everything, then everything is manifestation. 

Then again feeling is great, feeling fulfilled is a great feeling, which can be easily created by onself because we create everything.

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

19 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

Manifestation doesn't depend on feeling, It can happen regardless.  When you realize you create everything, then everything is manifestation. 

Then again feeling is great, feeling fulfilled is a great feeling, which can be easily created by onself because we create everything.

this ?

On 8/31/2020 at 0:04 PM, Recursoinominado said:

Nothing is stopping you to imagine yourself being in that car feeling blissful and safe.

i get your point, but still it will be 2 separate manifestations, the car and feeling blissful.

you can manifest a car without feeling anything but what you've been feeling prior.

and you can manifest feeling great about life, the car may show up as a consequence and may not, if owning a car doesn't fit into your image of having a blissful life.

41 minutes ago, General 2 said:

you can manifest a car without feeling anything but what you've been feeling prior

You are always feeling something, Neville didn't said to feel blissful, that's my 2 cents, he did say to fee like your wish is fulfilled, which can be calm gratitude or boredom, yes. But, in my opinion, this is just a waste. Why the he'll wouldn't you want to feel awesome?

Those won't be two separate manifestation if you imagine them together, you are living a mark in your subconscious mind by imagining the thing and feeling like you feel. 

1 hour ago, Recursoinominado said:

Those won't be two separate manifestation if you imagine them together, you are living a mark in your subconscious mind by imagining the thing and feeling like you feel. 

depends on what you mean by that:

1) manifesting feeling awesome (in general) + a car

2) feeling awesome having manifested a car

at 1), this may take longer to manifest, first to get you out of your rut and then deliver you a car.

at 2), it is natural to feel uplifted due to a big gain, but won't guarantee you being out of misery permanently.

in general i agree with you and your point, it's just per my experience in manifesting, these little details can be a game changer often times ?‍♀️

On 8/31/2020 at 10:04 AM, Recursoinominado said:

While I put a big smile and spread my arms like I had won the lottery or something. Make a victory dance, jump and shit like that. You have to normalize this awesome state, make your subconscious mind be comfortable with feeling awesome and your life will change radically.

love this haha

18 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

@General 2 My goal is not to feel awesome because I manifested a car, is to feel awesome and have a awesome car. 

i see...

you can manifest both either way, it just depends on priorities.

5 hours ago, Moon said:

love this haha

reminds me of Neville's "Isn't it wonderful?"

did someone practise this technique?