Rasheed

Is Fish better than chicken breast, and other meats?

24 posts in this topic

Does fish have more benefits than meats like red meat; chicoen breast; etc...??

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

They all have different benefits if you get them in quality forms, but also all can be bad depending on farming conditions, what they were fed, if hormones or antibiotics were used, if they were free to roam and eat their natural diet, ect. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@Rasheed Yeah, fish is the ultimate anti inflammatory food. Chicken and read meat cause inflammation. Well, that's what I've heard anyway. I eat a lot of fish because I feel better on it, I feel lighter, it's easier to digest. I feel a kind of density come over me when I eat meats that I don't get from fish. 

@Rasheed Meats all contain protein, but they will contain different amounts of micronutrients. There's been a lot of studies on red meat in excess which can lead to bowel cancer. Fish has a lot of omega 3 fatty acids which is good for your brain.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

They all have different benefits if you get them in quality forms, but also all can be bad depending on farming conditions, what they were fed, if hormones or antibiotics were used, if they were free to roam and eat their natural diet, ect. 

Yep. You are what you eat, and what your meal eats.

I'd say fish is better for most people, especially cause EPA and DHA, but it also has a lot more phosphatidylserine, iodine, and a little more potassium, magnesium, and niacin.

I don't think mercury is an issue in small fish cause selenium counteracts its negative effects. Though I'd avoid big fish, such as tuna, shark, and king mackerel.

Smoked fish might be a problem if you don't tolerate histamines well.

I would never eat farm-raised.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

While benefits are to be had with all types of meats, fish is richer from a nutritional point of view and helps your overall health improvement at a greater pace.

Fish is great, but its scary to think about all the plastic, metals and god knows what else youre consuming when you eat fish from the ocean... I should probably get a check-up lol.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Biggest problem with fish is heavy metals.

Eating fish on a daily basis is a problem.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. Fish is good in moderate quantities. Eating small fish species is a good idea to avoid heavy metals.

1 hour ago, Not me said:

Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. Fish is good in moderate quantities. Eating small fish species is a good idea to avoid heavy metals.

Good point. Canned sardines in water is a good option right now, high in protein/omega 3s low in mercury 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:23 AM, Leo Gura said:

Biggest problem with fish is heavy metals.

Eating fish on a daily basis is a problem.

Hi Leo, you might also want to look into PUFAS (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and what they do to the body when they get in contact with light heat and oxygen AKA our human body. 

Fish is full of PUFAS so not a good idea, apart from the metals you mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, MartinMaggio said:

Hi Leo, you might also want to look into PUFAS (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and what they do to the body when they get in contact with light heat and oxygen AKA our human body. 

Fish is full of PUFAS so not a good idea, apart from the metals you mentioned. 

You are mistaken there bud, unless the fish is cooked in some heat-damaged low quality oil (where the bad PUFA's are) the polyunsaturated fats you are referring to in fish are beneficial Omega 3s.

33 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

I love fish, but don't eat it very often.  I keep thinking of them eating plastic and human feces and dead things that fall into the ocean, swimming in water filled with oil, garbage and nuclear waste.  Nasty.

The ocean is a big place. There is some degree of truth to this, but far preferable to factory farmed animals not being in a natural environment, being mistreated, in close quarters walking and sleeping in each-others feces, and fed things that make them sick before being slaughtered inhumanely. 

Supplementing with spirulina/chlorella is good for removing heavy metals as well.

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

@Keyhole @TrynaBeTurquoise I think you guys both are right. Omega 3 is really beneficial but you gotta have enough vitamin E in your system to protect PUFAs from oxidizing. Most people get a ton of PUFAs from stuff like canola oil and then their vitamin E stores are depleted, which causes omega 3 to oxidize. So I'd say omega 3 is incredible, as long as you keep the PUFA/Vitamin E ratio low.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

5 minutes ago, Villager Albert said:

@Keyhole @TrynaBeTurquoise I think you guys both are right. Omega 3 is really beneficial but you gotta have enough vitamin E in your system to protect PUFAs from oxidizing. Most people get a ton of PUFAs from stuff like canola oil and then their vitamin E stores are depleted, which causes omega 3 to oxidize. So I'd say omega 3 is incredible, as long as you keep the PUFA/Vitamin E ratio low.

The beauty of it is that you don't have to worry about these omega imbalances/polyunsaturated fats really if you eliminate processed foods/oils like canola oil like you mentioned and are getting your vitamins from whole food organic sources. 

Omega 3 isn't really beneficial. Do deeper research on non funded sources. 

Omega 3 also oxidizes when enters the human body. 

What @Villager Albert mentioned about vitamin E being depleted is correct. Pufa consumption does deplete vitamin 3 

But the true benefits from fish come from it's mineral content not from the Omega 3-6-9, they actually all oxidize 

Limit consumption of fish to once a week and eat mostly ruminant grass fed animals

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26291567

28 minutes ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

The beauty of it is that you don't have to worry about these omega imbalances/polyunsaturated fats really if you eliminate processed foods/oils like canola oil like you mentioned and are getting your vitamins from whole food organic sources. 

You do have to worry about omega and PUFA VS SFA (Saturated fatty acids)  balances is one of the most important things for health. 

an imbalances of PUFA VS SFA creates LIPID PEROXIDATION (age spots that you see in older people) 

literally your fatty tissue becomes oxidized if you have PUFA Imbalances + UV light exposure 

I do agree with you that removing canola oil is a great step but that's just one of the many PUFAS hidden in food OMEGA 3-6-9 being some of the other ones. 
Other suspects: Flax, chia,nuts for the most part, vegetable oils, safflower oil, all oils except coconut and ghee are unstable
Olive is decent when unheated and limited amounts. 

PUFAS suppress thyroid function and slow metabolic rate 

Edited by MartinMaggio