Mongu9719

Sadhguru disapproves of psychedelics

86 posts in this topic

Sadhguru disapproves of psychedelics but in this video he talks about weed and other drugs, so he seems a bit confused about what psychedelics actually are. I wonder if he would change his mind about them if he tried them. It would be really interesting to see how they would affect a mystic such as himself.

Edited by Mongu9719

Hes comparing psychedelics with chemicals used by cheating athletes and other drugs like cocaine. he also seems to have a lot of dogma regarding what psychedelics can do. An easy way to easily resolve this question...do not believe sadhguru, do not believe leo, do not believe me. look through the telescope in the correct way and you wont need to believe anything or anyone. But just sayin, sadhguru is riddled with dogma that his ego is used to. He is uncomfortable with the form that he is unfamiliar with. look through the telescope

@Raptorsin7 His other advice is pretty good. He’s also a fairly advanced yogi, but yeah I agree he doesn’t know what he’s talking about when it comes to psychedelics. I’m not going to throw the baby out with the bath water tho.

Don't listen to people's opinions about psychedelics unless they've done 50+ trips.

You might as well be asking him his opinion about how it's like to live on Mars.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't listen to people's opinions about psychedelics unless they've done 50+ trips.

You might as well be asking him his opinion about how it's like to live on Mars.

Until I see you moving mountains with your sheer will and imagination, you're just a human being with quite an imagination.

Trip well ?

5 minutes ago, Lento said:

Until I see you moving mountains with your sheer will and imagination, you're just a human being with quite an imagination.

Trip well ?

Your foolish expectations are not my problem, they are yours.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Your foolish expectations and demands are not my concern.

Exactly!

Sadhguru is no God for someone to get his stamp of approval on psychedelics. 

Psychedelics help a lot with breakthroughs with consciousness. 

But it's not everyone's cup of tea. 

But there are tons of benefits to it

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Sam Harris, Sadhguru, Jordan Peterson and some others have no clue how much  psychedelics help. 

Some of them have never tried. Some of them have tried but only slightly. 

Not saying that it's not possible to be spiritually fulfilled or wise without the use of psychedelics. 

But those who do them have significantly different experiences which help them in their spiritual growth. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

3 hours ago, Lento said:

Trip well ?

You're literally imagining that X needs to happen in order to prove Y. This is quite an imagination here in you human ?. 

Life well ?

14 hours ago, Mongu9719 said:

Sadhguru disapproves of psychedelics but in this video he talks about weed and other drugs, so he seems a bit confused about what psychedelics actually are. I wonder if he would change his mind about them if he tried them. It would be really interesting to see how they would affect a mystic such as himself.

This man is a guru and has tried psychedelics. Listen to his words as another perspective:

for the lazies... 11:22

Edited by Kensho

2 hours ago, Brenzo2 said:

You're literally imagining that X needs to happen in order to prove Y. This is quite an imagination here in you human ?. 

Life well ?

Imagine and let imagine, eh?

?

I find the idea that "psychedelics are cheating" to be interesting. From one perspective, they are a "performance enhancing substance". In terms of experiencing higher states of consciousness, they are performance enhancing. For me, this is important for me to consider. In a way, it's like taking epo, running a 4 minute mile and then thinking "it's pretty easy to run a 4 minute mile". Insights revealed through psychedelics can be very difficult to be revealed through standard meditation. . . As well, psychedelic microdosing has become fairly common in areas that involve high creativity. For example, microdosing is fairly common is Silicon Valley. In this context, I can see how psychedelics can be perceived as cheating and a performance-enhancing substance.

Yet from another perspective, it's nonsensical. The concept of "cheating" involves competition toward an outcome of reward. This reward is limited and those that take the substance have a competitive advantage. For example, an Olympic gold medal in the marathon is a limited reward and athletes taking epo wold have an advantage toward winning the reward. This would seem unfair. . . . Yet what would be the limited "reward" that people are competing for that psychedelics give an advantage? In terms of career, we might say that psychedelics give a creative advantage - for example, those microdosing in Silicon Valley have a creative advantage, which can translate into higher productivity and promotions. I met a fellow who worked in Silicon Valley who had this perspective. He was considering starting to microdose because he felt like he was at a competitive disadvantage. . . In this context, I can see how it is unfair since everyone doesn't have equal access to psychedelics (I would not factor in a "harm" aspect since microdosing is not associated with mental/physical harm). . . Consider something like caffeine. This substance can give a productive boost, yet most people wouldn't consider drinking coffee because it's easily accessible to everyone. However, it is slightly/moderately addictive and unhealthy. Would it be valid for someone to say that drinking coffee is "cheating" because they choose not to drink coffee?

Yet there is also a non-competitive and unlimited reward aspect of psychedelics. For example, these substances can help heal people's trauma. If someone was cured of PTSD of two MDMA sessions, I think it's absurd to say this is "cheating" and someone with PTSD should have to go through 20 years of inefficient talk therapy. Healing from PTSD is not a competition and it is not a limited limited reward. . . . Similarly, psychedelics can help transcend an egoic construct. I don't see this as a competition (although many people do). As well, I don't see this as a limited reward. For some people, a year's worth of tripping and integration could be worth 20 years of inefficient meditation for egoic transcendence (as was my experience). In this context, calling it "cheating" sounds absurd to me. 

My guess is that people that have invested 20+ years of hardcore meditation to reach transcendent states may see psychedelics as "cheating". As well, people that believe transcendence "should be" attained only through "natural" means like meditation and yoga, may see psychedelics as cheating. Yet to me, that would be like someone spending 20 years inching their way up a mountain on their belly. They finally make it to the top and see someone riding a bicycle up. I can see how someone would be attached/identified to the belly inching method and see a bicycle as cheating. Yet this would be a self-biased view. In particular, there is no limited reward at the top of the mountain we are competing for. The "reward" is the beautiful meta view. Yet this view is unlimited and free. 

@Serotoninluv I don’t think that looking at them as performance enhancing drugs is the right analogy. Think of psychedelics like a rocket ship that blast you off to a far away destination like the moon, while meditation is like driving in a busy street to your local grocery store in your sedan. Both the rocket ship and the sedan are methods of transportation.  Both the sedan and the rocket ship are technologies that benefit us, but the rocket ship is more powerful and has a different use than the sedan. The sedan will probably cause less damage if misused than the rocket ship, and you will probably use it a lot more. Both are useful but for different purposes and in different contexts. In the same way, psychedelics and mediation are just spiritual technologies used to explore and raise  conciousness., each having a different use in terms of both frequency,setting, and purpose. I think it is very harmful to view psychedelics as some kind of performance drug, rather we should view them as powerful spiritual technologies, just like the rocket ship which is a powerful method of transport. And in that way powerful technologies should be treated with care and used infrequently.

16 minutes ago, Mongu9719 said:

@Serotoninluv I don’t think that looking at them as performance enhancing drugs is the right analogy. Think of psychedelics like a rocket ship that blast you off to a far away destination like the moon, while meditation is like driving in a busy street to your local grocery store in your sedan. Both the rocket ship and the sedan are methods of transportation.  Both the sedan and the rocket ship are technologies that benefit us, but the rocket ship is more powerful and has a different use than the sedan. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. Context is dependent. I said I can see how psychedelics can be a performance enhancing substance in certain contexts. 

For example, take my friend who works in Silicon Valley. His job is dependent on creative production. Let's say that microdosing increases creative production by 30%. That is a "performance enhancing" substance. It is the definition. 

In the example you gave of the rocket ship and sedan - there are two different goals - it is comparing apples and oranges. In the context of performance enhancement, the goal needs to be the same. If we say one person has a goal of being more alert at work and another person has a goal of falling asleep easier - adderall would only be a performance enhancer for one of the people. . . In the case of a car, if the goal is to travel across the country, an airplane would be a performance enhancer over a sedan. . . Yet like I said, this assumes there is a specific goal - a specific destination or thing to attain. Adding in "cheating" would bring in the dynamic of interpersonal competition toward a limited goal and reward. . . For example, using a dishwasher rather than handwashing would not be considered "cheating" because there is not a goal with a reward people are competing for. 

5 minutes ago, Lento said:

@Serotoninluv So, now there is a destination? Say hello to the ego.

I wrote that we can create destinations. I did not write that there is an inherent destination.