LoveandPurpose

philosophy or psychology in university if I love the actualized.org content?

14 posts in this topic

I have to decide for a major in university (in germany).

I love the actualized.org topics. My primary interests:

What is Existence?

How to live (the good) life?

Big Picture Understanding.

Does Philosophy or Psychology (or another major?) cover these interests better? 

I tend towards one, but maybe there are students here.

Thank you!

Your college courses will probably not be anything like Leo's videos in content, with academic psychology or philosophy. Can you look at the course materials?

I'd consider first what kind of jobs you can work with that education/training. Will you need extra education or certification to work in a place you like? that pays you what you'd like? What kind of jobs can you get with that degree?

I got a degree in Psychology because I am truly interested in it, but in the US, it can take longer to make good money and can require extensive schooling depending on what you want to do.

In the US, a person cannot do a lot with a Bachelors in Psychology compared to an engineering degree in the market. But with a psychology degree and a master's in a specific field, you could get a nice career.

I am personally interested in this kind of actualized content, but it can be irrelevant to the work. I work with children, adolescent, and families regarding behaviors, social skills, and in general mental well-being. I don't get paid a lot at the moment, but it's rewarding work and I feel like I make an impact. I am still developing my vision and at the moment I am working on getting a Behavioral Analyst certification which will put in a position to make a stronger impact and gain independence. 

You could get a psychology degree and then go into:

neuroscience, counseling, industrial and organizational psychology, research, social worker, or clinical practice at a doctoral level, speech therapy, and more.

I feel like a philosophy degree would be great if you really like to philosophize and love to teach. When I went into psychology, I knew I wanted to help people with mental health and I thought psychology 101 & 102 had interesting topics that I wanted to explore further - understanding how the brain and body function, brain measuring instruments, humanistic psychology, psychoanalysis, perception, and social psychology. 

-------

I may be projecting my feelings on financial security, but I wish I gave it more thought when I first began college. I could have been more strategic about it.

Edited by SgtPepper

Your questions are directly part of the field of philosophy.

Psychology will never even attempt to answer what existence is.

But academic philosophy will also never succeed in answering what existence is. That can only be done via awakening.

You created existence. So who are you asking? You are it!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura also big picture understanding?

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Your questions are directly part of the field of philosophy.

Maybe try to think a bit farther ahead. Where do you want to end up? How do you want life to play out? It's never easy to do this, but it can pay off. Value of a psychology degree is significantly different from a philosophy degree, here in Belgium, but neither are useful if you don't want to work in those specific fields.

@randomguy123 Yeah, I tried to think of these questions but I don‘t know yet.

Psychology is also more valuable for the job market but I‘ll follow my passion. I have faith that that passion will lead me to the right place and will make me valuable on the market.

@Leo GuraI wanted to go into the Philosophy field as well to get a broad understanding of the nature of everything from the ancient philosophers' perspectives. I also wanted to write books and teach people in the future once I had a solid grasp on the subject, which lead me to think getting a graduate degree in the subject was a good idea. Is it possible to get the academic knowledge in philosophy, then apply in it my own life, trying to obtain the truth? I wanted to pursue the higher education this Fall but if it's really not a good idea, I may have to do more searching...

@LoveandPurpose

My current path is computer science, focusing on programming. It is fun and very interesting, but the field is oversaturated and is extremely hard to break into with a new app or website.  I was talking to some senior devs that I know and they all work for companies that either give them little freedom or little freetime. I didn't want to work for a company because I wanted creative freedom but even being a freelance dev is extremely difficult and I don't really feel THAT much passion for it. I know for a fact my Zone of Genius is deep thinking,  and my Life Purpose is to understand and experience Reality, and share my wisdom and knowledge with others. So, my intuition brought me to wanting to study philosophy.  ?