Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trenton

Finding a purpose I don't need

4 posts in this topic

I noticed a source of neurotic behavior in that I was stressing too great of importance on finding a life purpose.  I now see that this is counterproductive and it keeps me in place while contributing to misery.  I don't want to continue hurting myself in this way which is why it dawned on me that I don't need a life purpose and it does not matter in the long run of thousands of years what I do In this life time.  I often ignored this thinking I still needed to do something important to help mankind, but this leads to self generated suffering.

Now I am trying a different approach to self actualization.  I'm coming from a position that a life purpose is not something I need and it does not matter, but before I was afraid that this would have demotivated me.  Instead I am overall happier and curious about the possibility of a life purpose and how other people may have found one without this clinging in the back of your mind.

What kind of purpose did you find by accepting that it does not matter?  Why did you select this purpose and how has it transformed you?

Having a life purpose is important because it's gives you direction . I understand your reason for wanting to have a life purpose, because it's nice to have a purpose, because now has a clear direction and destination. Imagine using Google Map to get a destination, you feel much more 'happier' and relaxed because now you have a direction, but if you don't use it, you may find yourself getting lost , confused and stresssed. Now there are many types of meaning and purpose. Some say find a purpose that is bigger than yourself, others say find a purpose that serves other people, My suggestion is to find a meaning and purpose that is motivational, that is one that is keeps you going and looking forward to life. Find a life purpose that makes you happy. Lastly, I would like to say life about the journey rather than the destination, it's like eating, what's the point of eating if you are going to get hungry again in 3 hours. The point is to enjoy the process of eating and not just to fill up your stomach.

@InspirationToAction I think you have a very interesting perspective.  This is what I have applied to chess tournaments where I am more interested in the journey rather than the end result.  This is very motivational, and it helps me to learn constantly.  You explain what I have done for my hobby very well.  Now my family encourages me to have a different unrelated passion.  If I use my hobby as a model for what want, then I will have something to reference in terms of enjoying the journey, motivation, constant learning, direction, ect.  Good answer.