Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameskells

Is there value in traveling?

22 posts in this topic

Does traveling help one grow and self-actualize?

Or is it all just inner game?

It depends on the type of traveling. If someone goes to Vegas for blow and call girls, there probably won’t be a lot of growth and self actualization. Yet if someone does solo traveling without a lot of distractions, it’s a great for growth. As well, I’ve experienced a lot of growth immersing myself in foreign cultures. 

Yes, I found out they travel it is self-actualization in steroids if you do it properly. 

It correlates with the concept of anti-fragility, as long you put yourself into chaos, situations outside your comfort zone, you will be forced to grow, even if you are a lazy fuck. 

Solo travel, backpacking, try to spend as little as possible with anything that's not essential, interact with your environment, learn new skills, go somewhere you feel like the dumbest person alive because you fail to know how to perform basic tasks, this will give you loads of humbleness coupled with self-reliance. 

You will have to ground yourself a lot as your environment keeps changing  and the only constant is you. 

2 hours ago, Jameskells said:

Both!

It gives you the necessary "mental space" to focus on your inner game. 

Here are 3 more specific things I do while traveling:

1. Journal daily – with focus on your emotions, thoughts, and encounters
  2. Listen to music in nature – to foster feelings of oneness
  3. Connect music to events and places  –  so that you can "travel" back there when you listen to the same music back at home

Visited locations, new acquaintances and nice memories are a nice side bonus of traveling ;) 

Also, I completely second @Recursoinominado 

I used to ask myself that question about the value of travel, too! And now I can answer it for you. I hope you understand my thought. Each of us goes through stages of growing up. The very first stage is childhood. Do you remember how slowly time dragged on as a kid when the whole world was something unexplored to you? Every childhood day was filled with knowledge and impressions. It was through learning new things that we noticed the passage of time. Now that we are grown up, with a family, a car, a house, days fly by. To slow down time, we can get out of our comfort zone and explore new places, cultures where everything will be upside down, new to us. When I was riding trains in Germany, this thought occurred to me! So think about it.

Edited by hambiggers

@Jameskells Definitely it has potential to change you as a person and your views on things.

But travel is only effective when you plan to stay for a long time (minimum 1 month) and when you visit new places every (other) day.

It also helps if you have a guide who lives there who can show you around and take you out on interesting places every day. 

This is all from experience.

@Jameskells

On 23/02/2020 at 8:12 PM, Jameskells said:

Absolutely YES! Travelling can help you grow more as a person.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:12 AM, Jameskells said:

For me now.. it is number one tool for self actualizing.

Outer game and inner game is nonsense. Its the same game. Try different things in your journey and choose what fit you. Personally I don't really fit in meditation.. travel give me much more clarity than any meditation techinque I ever try. 

57 minutes ago, somegirl said:

Definitely it has potential to change you as a person and your views on things.

I grow exponentially this new year because a travel. I realize the most important thing when doing travel is connect to new people. Connect to their mind. My worldview is widened. My nerd mind vanished knowing its just one perspective to explore reality. I became more fearless and detached somehow.

On 2/23/2020 at 0:12 PM, Jameskells said:

Good Questions.

This last summer, after working a job across the country, I travelled alone, without a car, for two and a half weeks across the east coast. I was surprised how difficult it was mentally, but here is what I got from it.

1. it can forces you to face yourself in unknown situations: I remember multiple times, having to problem solve on the fly, trying to get from one place to another, or what to do when my phone almost died and I needed it to know where to go. 

2. Showed me how capable and resourceful I can be: mentally it was challenging, I didn't have much to ground myself in, I HAD to be resourceful to make it through, there was no one to lean on but myself.

3. Exposure to different perspectives, ideologies, places, and people: a distinct memory is being in Washington DC, seeing all the monuments, and watching these "Model Americans" so proud to these monuments and so excited, taking pictures in front of the white house and playing music talking about the greatness of America. I thought it was so STUPID. I get that America is a pretty good place to live, certainly better than some, and I am lucky to live here, but the blind worshiping of these symbols left me with an uneasy feeling. It was especially interesting to watch MY reactions to THEIR behavior, to see my thoughts and emotions as I observed the monuments and places.

Definitely recommend, doing it alone allows for less external distraction, allowing oneself to be explored in a more unhindered way :)

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

I think so. Think it can be a great experience! And really reshape your view of the world and your relationship to it. As well as a tonne of fun.

However, I think it can also be escapism. I know someone who spent their 20s and 30s using it in part to runaway from their home life. I think a depth psychotherapy would of been better. So, I reckon as long as someone doesn't use travel as their sole means of healing, it can be great.

Its a bit like doing pick up. It can be awesome. However, its important to keep in mind that it won't fix people's inner issues.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

On 2/23/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jameskells said:

Yes, mainly through destroying your old paradigm by exposing yourself to new paradigms.

traveling= materialism

get smart . do not travel. instead explore your inner world

Edited by itachi uchiha

I've travelled solo a lot and lived in multiple foreign countries where I moved there alone. I think it can be a very good way to discover yourself, grow and expand your mind. 

You feel your ego, worldview and paradigms getting broken down when you expose yourself to other cultures and languages. Traveling and especially living in another country really forced me to grow up.

Edited by Spence94

44 minutes ago, itachi uchiha said:

traveling= materialism

get smart . do not travel. instead explore your inner world

How is it that simple?

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

@Realms of Wonder kriya yoga gave me more exciting states than my travelling.kriya yoga is better than traveling .do u have acess to a kriya yoga guru in your country

4 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

traveling= materialism

So, you tried both and came to this conclusion? How much have you traveled?

Edited by Kensho

8 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

@Realms of Wonder kriya yoga gave me more exciting states than my travelling.kriya yoga is better than traveling .do u have acess to a kriya yoga guru in your country

I'm glad that it works so well for you :)

I am wary of gurus, I desire to trust myself and go within, not look  to another person to give me direction on what to do. BUT that being said, no, not that I know of, I do have a book on Kriya yoga, that I have practiced on and off over the last view years. it is something I see as powerful, but not for this stage of my life. 

11 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

traveling= materialism

Worship inner world, be little outter world that is material. Classic spirituality. 

Edited by Manusia
Grammar

7 hours ago, ParkerGroove said:

I think it depends on type of traveling. Once I went abroad alone, and spent three weeks there. For me that time was precious. I spent all the time by myself, and it was great. I opened a lot of new sides of myself, and realized that I'm comfortable with myself

Awesome! Where/Why did you go?

16 minutes ago, Manusia said:

Worship inner world, be little outer world that is material. Classic spirituality. 

Are they separate?