peqkno

Self-image of another? Picking up patterns.

2 posts in this topic

Something I've been wondering lately.

At times I tend to see someone else "in front of my mental eye" as like the self-image. It seems as though I'm picking up their patterns. I remember it being that way even around like 3 years old, where "in my mind(?)" I spoke like a girl from kindergarten. Right now patterns are putting with my hands in the pockets of my trousers/pants or like looking upwards with eyes wide open, nearly rolling the eyes. And when that happens thought pop into mind like those of a friend or a girl I used to date whom I have experienced doing this.

Like totally picking up on those things they did. Also when lying down and stretching I see someone else in my mind doing it, doesn't matter which gender (o.O maybe could do with animals too)

Does anyone experience similar things?

Usually I do not see myself as an image in my head (well, now writing this I imagine). Is that a sign of weak self-image? Or like compensating for those people not being there?

Like as though the self-image somehow fused with them, or patterns to keep me feeling safe or company.

Sorry if this now added to more confusion :D

Well, if someone has insights on that or ways to investigate it further I'd be happy to hear.

Have a great day.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

We're constantly adapting and picking up patterns whether we know it or not. 

I'm guessing that there was something about these things that they did that resonated with you and that is why you remember that. 

Being social creatures we are pre-programmed to fit in socially, being accepted in a social setting. So adopting features that we ourselves find compelling, straight off carbon copy or modified, knowingly or unknowingly, is not a strange thing.

I've done the same. It's harder to do the same when you are conscious of it, as it comes out as a bit ridicules, and we tweak it to be more our new behavor than mimicing someone elses behavior. 

Have you ever notised someone else copying someones behavior and thinking "oh she/he is totally copying him/her"? Happens all the time. 

If you have a poor self-image or low self-esteeme I imagine that you would be more prone to do this as you have greater a need to fit in/be accepted.

The line between building a facade and an actual behavior shift can be hair-thin. Adopting behaviors isn't bad, facades usually are. 

Facades not to be mixed up with roles, we can put on a role at work that essentially is a kind of facade, but that facade is purpose driven to fulfull a function more so than hide something that we've made "ugly". 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today.