Red-White-Light

Why I gave up Phycedelics

22 posts in this topic

You know I actually hate these kind of threads that state an opinion or experience in the title and then just post a quote from someone else.

Admittedly my post here is pointless as well and doesn't contribute to your intended discussion. Sorry. 

Just needed to vent. Nothing personal. 

I see psychedelics just a very heightened/certain state of conscioussness which can be tremendously useful sometimes, and other might be not be the best tool at all, just that.

Is like you say "Well, I used this car which can go upto 200km/h. It was great but I got the message. Not going to use it again, back to using my car of just 50km/h always". When in fact you could just reserve the car when you have roads that you can go upto 200km/h and keep using your old car of 50km/h the 95% of occasions.

I agree but every now and then it can be helpful to pick up the phone again for a reminder and to see if your hearing of message is any clearer. But using them as a replacement for spiritual practices is inefficient because they are inherently unstable and if you use them as your cornerstone your structure will also be unstable. Just using anecdotal evidence people who lean heavily on psychedelics to replace spiritual practice are basically never among those who  embody divinity most fully, they can be very high consciousness but they always seem to embody instability as well.

Said a man who died of alcohol addiction.

If he was less arrogant about psychedelics, maybe they could have healed him.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I don't get it? He's not denying the use of psychedelics, he's denying the over use of them?

Yes biologists are not glued to their telescopes, but they don't throw them away either, they come back when the time is right?

I think many “spiritual” individuals underestimate how much tripping is required to really “get the message.” Thus hanging up the phone prematurely. Just gotta follow your heart, especially with psychedelics. 

2 hours ago, electroBeam said:

I don't get it? He's not denying the use of psychedelics, he's denying the over use of them?

Yes biologists are not glued to their telescopes, but they don't throw them away either, they come back when the time is right?

I'm pretty sure Leo is referring to the part that says " if you get the message, hang up the phone"

These arguments could go on forever but if you're not walking in that persons shoes, who would know.

I used to drink like a fish and smoke some of the finest green that the Pacific Northwest and Canada had to offer... I also probably tripped on LSD 25 times and mushrooms maybe 10 between the ages of 16 and 19.

I do not know if these substances assisted in my awakening or not.

There was also at least 100 hours of meditation, 100's of watched actualized.org/YouTube videos, yoga, radical open-mindedness while simultaneously staying grounded, complete surrendering but knowing I would never give up.

Maybe it assisted, maybe it didn't maybe it partially did.

There's no real way of knowing, which I find quite interesting.

All we can really do is report on these experiences.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

I think many “spiritual” individuals underestimate how much tripping is required to really “get the message.” Thus hanging up the phone prematurely. Just gotta follow your heart, especially with psychedelics. 

Exactly, and how would one even know that they "got the message" when theres an infinite amount of messages one could receive, each one being more profound than the last?

Better quote would be "do whatever the fuck you want with psychedelics, its your own consciousness, just take responsibility and know what you're getting in to."

Edited by TrynaBeTurquoise

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

7 minutes ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Better quote would be "do whatever the fuck you want with psychedelics, its your own consciousness, just take responsibility and know what you're getting in to."

There you go, slam dunk. End of discussion :)

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

Actually i think if done in the right mindset, maturity, and proper build up, you would enter God Consciousness anyway.  And that is where the realizations occur.   Your finite consciousness isn't affected at all.  The ego probably won't be very happy apon its return though :)?  But if done enough times you become a psychonaut and the ego actually gets used to dying.  No more backlash.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Leo Gura Phycedelics don't just magically heal you. He obviously had serious mental health issues. You have a very ill way of talking about someone who's dead. 

2 minutes ago, Red-White-Light said:

@Leo Gura Phycedelics don't just magically heal you. He obviously had serious mental health issues. You have a very ill way of talking about someone who's dead. 

I'm not disrespecting the dude who passed.  But awakening provides infinite intelligence.  It doesn't fix your egoic issues but it provides you with enough consciousness to overcome them.  Now I'm saying awakening by any means possible.  Meditation, pyschedelics and the like.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@VeganAwake "if you get the message, hang up the phone" is great advice. People tend to get very attached to their methods of enlightenment and forget those methods are just scaffolding or support structures, but not the actual thing.

I've wasted lots of time 'chasing enlightenment'. Lots. I would spend 10 days straight just meditating. Did that improve my chances of enlightenment? Nope, just got me focused on how to meditate, rather than why I'm even meditating in the first place. After I completely dropped meditation and did whatever I felt like, that's when reality was revealed as oneness.

Same with psychedelics, you can (and I haven't seen lots, but have seen a little of evidence of this) get attached to the process of using psychedelics, rather than understanding reality. When you hear questions on the forum like "do you need psychedelics to get enlightened" or "how much dosage do you need to have a breakthrough" or anything that focuses too much on the psychedelic... that's a red flag. That's someone whose so lost in the process of taking a psychedelic, that they've forgotten why they are doing it in the first place. I agree to what Alan Watts says "once you've gotten the message, hang up" Yes Alan, that's exactly right, once you're having a non dual experience, stop meditating, because meditation is apart of the dream!

@electroBeam I understand what you're saying...❤

There's some truth to everything, some people probably should stop taking psychedelics... others may be need to up their dosage to have more profound insights... others will benefit from stopping everything.

There's no should or shouldn't's...

I was more or less saying if you don't go for it you'll never know...

I'm a big fan of the middle way myself.

Either way it doesn't really matter ?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

18 hours ago, Red-White-Light said:

@Leo Gura Phycedelics don't just magically heal you.

Psychedelics are proven to be quite effective for alcohol addiction.

He obviously had serious mental health issues.

Psychedelics can help with that. Of course there's no guarantee.

You have a very ill way of talking about someone who's dead. 

What I said wasn't ill or even directed at him. There is a lesson here for you not to blindly follow the advice of others just because it sounds good.

Sometimes advice sounds good as a quote, yet it's wrong.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@VeganAwake yes agree. You can literally empirically verify for yourself that everything any guru or sage has ever said is wrong, and is right. Each piece of advice is a like a double sided coin which is half right, half wrong, and is right and wrong at the same time, just depends what you've experienced and what chapter you're in.