Charlotte

Language

20 posts in this topic

Does anybody else witness just how powerful language is? How it actually shapes our reality on the deepest level. How it gives and takes meaning from things. How it constructs our world. It's incredible! 

Please share with me your own thoughts on this topic ? love to hear other perspectives.

Yes, the words we use use us on so many levels! Words are the beginning of thoughts manifesting to forms, thoughts turning into communication, so I suppose it would make sense that words would be so powerful. 

There are so many strange pointers and synchronicity to be found in language. This is so profound and so easily glossed over.

The speed of light is commonly denoted c. See?  Of course!

course 1.the route or direction followed by a ship, aircraft, road, or river. So "of course" is like saying "of path". 

time spelled backwards is emit, dogma spelled backwards is amgod

devil spelled backwards is lived, evil spelled backwards is live

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Words cast spells, that's why they call it spelling ;)

The English language for example, is very distorted from the more ancient languages and true tongues, if you will and a lot of is is black magic.

Symbolism is even more powerful than words and modern languages but yes words definitely have shaped our reality and played quite a part in the collective consciousness we experience now.

Then there's somethings like Awesome and Awful, these are basically backwards. Why not Full of Awe? and why is Awful a bad thing?

You can go for days about how silly modern languages have become and make no logical sense but then there's occult agendas behind them so i guess it reveals itself eventually.

Choose your words wisely.

B R E A T H E

Yes it constructs reality so deeply... A reality that we believe so fucking hard. Limiting beliefs bro. They're just beliefs. But your mind takes it as reality

George Orwell in his essays and in the novel, "1984" has some insights on language.

An author I read in University, Marshal McLuhan, has some very important structural insights on media, which includes sounds and by extension language. His book, "The Medium is the Massage" is worth checking out. He uses the term differently to mean more than just "news media".

Other than that, just knowing three languages has helped me tremendously and greatly expanded my mind. Languages are at the center of cultures. Knowing a language is the key to getting to know the mentality of any culture. I don't think you can know a culture fully if you don't know it's language. 

If you only know one language that can be limiting. It's like you are a fish in water. As humans we learn by compare and contrast. To know your culture you need to know other cultures. That gives you a reference point. Having access to different types of songs, movies, ideas, religions, and people gives you a better reference point to understand your own culture. 

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

Language is groundless and always self referencing. It's only living in a context.

Words have the power you give to them.

This is all completely relatives.

For instance Québec french speak no french to french people. They use words and sentences we never ever use in France + harsh accent. They sound like really weird and funny to french people.

Words are like entire movie

It's all interprétations and cultural imprégnations. 

Semantic and meaning seams always contextual/local. 

Consensus even in language looks like a self delusion

Edited by SickLuv

I realized it early since my native is not English, but I learnt it at an early age.

Trying to tell the same joke in Finnish and English definitely did not work as well as imagined. :D 

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P

Here's my thoughts:

Language is nothing more than combinatorial symbolic manipulation. The symbols can be anything: letters, sounds, semaphore, binary. The symbols are completely arbritary, but have to be distinct enough to tell them apart from each other and there should be a finite set of them. By themselves the symbols are useless, but put them together in specific ways and they can be used to convey any sort of information.

The juxtaposition of symbols then allows speakers to hang real world experiences onto those specific patterns. In effect the patterns of symbols point to a category of things in the real world. The things themselves can be any experience including thought.

Communication between individuals boils down to constructing these special patterns that are pointers to experiences the speaker is having. The receiver of the communication then "runs the program" of the communication and "re-experiences" it for themselves.  This is in effect a form of mind reading or thought transferrence.

The system is not perfect because it is finite.

To speak takes time, so the rate of transferrence of information is limited. Also the number of patterns (grammar, syntax, words etc), is huge but finite. This means that it is necessary to take only specific parts of the speaker's experience when communicating; the number and rate of experiences is much much greater (probably infinite) than the rate of information in speech. In other words the recipient of a communication can only receive a sketch of your experiences. But like a good artist, we will "fill out" the sketch to make a full picture which fits with our own experiences.

Language is powerful, because it puts us into different states of consciousness, which can change our behaviours and actions - this leaves us open to manipulation by other speakers (positive or negative).  It is also powerful, because when speaking we become habituated to only taking certain parts of our experiences to convey information and we ignore the rest. This habituation has a distorting effect on our perceptions, by placing greater importance on some experiences over others - over time we become blind to the non-important experiences, maybe to our detriment.

But note that we experience things whether we are speaking or not - thought, memories and experiences carry on quite happily without language. It's easy to become too confident and make language the ground of our experiences, it is definitely not. It is a superficial layer above our experience of the world.

All stories and explanations are false.

Better the vocabulary, better the chances of different perspectives.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Talking on perspectives, it's interesting to note that the Japanese hear the call of the cat as 'Nyan' and the rest hear it as 'Meow'.

Upon careful examination of the call of the cat one can realize that both are right .

Edited by Pacific Sage
Grammar

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Language is the interconnection of names. Every word is name. Name or concept. Language is concepts, names of something which is not given in experience, i.e. of something absent. Language is the concepts about absent thing, about absent one. This absent one is God. The point is to put names, concepts or characteristics of God, who is absent one, in the centre of our attention. These names are for example: Merciful, Compassionate, Almighty, Giver, Forcing, Judge etc etc. Islam gives 99 such names. If we succeed in this, in putting names of absent one into centre of our intellectual attention - it leads to awakening. However, society makes everything to turn language into a mere communication tool. But original nature of language is pure thinking, and thinking is antithesis of communication. And pure thinking is thinking about absent thing. Just think about it, it will make perfect sense, that thinking = language = names/concepts = about something which is absent. Because if something is given in experience then there is no need to have concepts about that! But if something is not, then we need names of this absent thing! But how can we think about absent thing which is not given to us in experience? Only if we receive knowledge about it. And knowledge about it is received by us via specific book which is always and only the revelation (revealing what wasn't before), and this revelation is only given to us via prophets. This book is the discourse about absent one, and it is the instrument for awakening. So, names of absent one (merciful, almighty etc.) should be put into the centre of our intellectual attention and that should lead to the awakening. It doesn't work every time but it works. And when it works it is real miracle.

On 24/02/2020 at 2:37 AM, Pacific Sage said:

Talking on perspectives, it's interesting to note that the Japanese hear the call of the cat as 'Nyan' and the rest hear it as 'Meow'.

Upon careful examination of the call of the cat one can realize that both are right .

Or neither.

This illustrates my point well. The words 'Nyan' and 'Meow' don't actually capture a cat's call at all - despite them supposedly being onomatopoeic. If it did we'd be looking for the cat every time we heard the words. We are suckers for language, 

All stories and explanations are false.

oh im starting to

its so hard to change how you speak once you become aware of the gravity of the situation ahaha..like..must...not....complain.....

I'm learning a new language and it's opened my eyes even further to how much we cling to beliefs. old habits and our self made 'reality' via language and culture. 

Yep, learning a language is a big mind trip. You put in the work, and slowly but surely you witness the world around you shifting, morphing and manifesting into a different reality. It's a great reminder of how relative it all is.

I would like to learn Japanese 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

On 20/02/2020 at 0:17 AM, Charlotte said:

Does anybody else witness just how powerful language is? How it actually shapes our reality on the deepest level. How it gives and takes meaning from things. How it constructs our world. It's incredible! 

Please share with me your own thoughts on this topic ? love to hear other perspectives.

Yeah it's amazing how merely inserting "I think" or "for me" before stating what I need to say profoundly changes my experience and probably changes others experience of me too. I find myself in far fewer conflicts just by adjusting how I use language.