Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TDW1995

Attached to Current Job

12 posts in this topic

I am currently at a job that I've had ever since graduating college (1.5 years ago).  I do health and wellness coaching for weight management and behavior change, which I find rewarding.  However, I have a one hour commute to and from work each day, typically see only three clients/day on average, and I feel that having a long commute and working full time prevents me from having a life outside of work.  I'm introverted and feel like I need to spend more time outside the walls of the workplace and my apartment.  Recently I applied for a job as a wellness coach in the same town I live in and they want to set up an interview with me, but I feel so attached to the clients and colleagues I work with now.  In the end, I do believe that it would be worth it to work closer to home, but at the same time the thought of leaving my current job all of the sudden makes me feel sad.  Change is hard for me, but I believe it's very necessary.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when going to another job?  I'm a very traditional and attached individual, which severely limits my ability to try and do new things.  I just need some "kick ass" motivation to accept change when/if it happens. 

@see_on_see I appreciate what you said.  I'm really starting to realize the toxicity of being in a bubble of comfort your whole life.  It's really preventing me from experiencing new things.  And you're right, nothing will last forever, so there's no danger in change.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, my friend. Spending 10 hours a week commuting, especially by car, is going to cripple a lot of aspects of your life. You could set yourself up for greater success and hone your skills and maybe even reach more people in the future.

Edited by Vladz0r

i would first condsider alternative within your life, maybe there is something you can do near your job or do something while commuting?

if not so follow your heart. you dont need to do it fast and immidiatly,think a bit about another way of life and slowly act toward getting it

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

Why don't you try going independent and getting your own clients as a health and wellness coach?

Powered By Love

@Vladz0r I completely agree with you. More time alone honing in on professional skills, spiritual development, etc. is important.  You saying that I spend 10 hours behind the wheel each week is quite eye-opening to me since I never put that into perspective.  

@TheSomeBody Definitely don't want to rush into something I don't find rewarding. I try to drive mindfully since it's probably the best use of my commute time.

@ZenBlue This is something I'll consider in the future for sure.  I graduated from college a year and a half ago, so I'm not sure if I'd be ready for something like that just yet.  But, I absolutely will think about this in the future.

Why not just try to move closer to the area you work in now? Maybe I missed that if you mentioned it. If the cost seems more expensive add up the wear and tear to the vehicle, gas, and time cost. 

@Average Investor I did consider that as well.  My friends and I are planning on living together in the same town we are in right now. Plus, I do like the town I am in.  Focusing on getting a job closer to the area is the biggest concern right now.  Just need to push myself and accept change.

@TDW1995 Change is really refreshing sometimes. You might also find some big opportunities trying a new place to work too. Good luck to you. 

@Average Investor Very much appreciate it.  I need to reframe my mind that change can be an incredibly positive thing.  Although I may think that I like this nice bubble of comfort, I'm just kidding myself and procrastinating from what could be.

@kellyon I don't think I'd have any regrets afterwards.  It's just getting through the initial change that seems hard and foreign.

On 20/02/2020 at 0:04 AM, TDW1995 said:

leaving my current job all of the sudden makes me feel sad.  Change is hard for me,

@TDW1995 its not so hard as you creating.

Felling sad is not bad. its healthy Attachment!

At the end dude don't do overthinking dont give any labels to anything. just accept All situation. accepting its your motivation! It will boost your confident.

All of your life you have been told that God created you. God come now to tell you this:  You are creating God❤️