traveler

Isn't it weird how "neo-advaita" speakers talk shit about other teachers?

75 posts in this topic

I've been watching Tony Parson, Jim Newman, Richard Sylvester and other "neo-advaita" speakers lately. Their main message is This Is It, which something resonate with. What I don't get is why many of these speakers often talk shit about other teachers like Rupert Spira, Eckhart Tolle and Adyashanti. They say that these teachers talk to an individual, while they themselves doesn't talk at all, there are just speaking happening. Alright, but in awakening it is seen that everything is saying the exact same thing, THIS IS IT. It is so obvious that there is nobody, there are only things happening, people aren't separate, there is only one. Everything literally is one. How then if there is "no me" in Tony, Jim and Richard there is story about how their message is coming more purely from oneness than the teachings of Rupert, Adyashanti and Eckhart Tolle? Seems very contradicting. There are infinite ways to describe the beloved, every single one of them falls short of the truth. 

It's because they are human. They are heavily invested in their concepts and beliefs. Anyone that has spent half their life or more dedicated to a specific belief will be very attached to that belief regardless of how awake or enlightened they are. You just can't dodge bias. Not completely anyway. 

3 hours ago, traveler said:

I've been watching Tony Parson, Jim Newman, Richard Sylvester and other "neo-advaita" speakers lately. Their main message is This Is It, which something resonate with. What I don't get is why many of these speakers often talk shit about other teachers like Rupert Spira, Eckhart Tolle and Adyashanti. They say that these teachers talk to an individual, while they themselves doesn't talk at all, there are just speaking happening. Alright, but in awakening it is seen that everything is saying the exact same thing, THIS IS IT. It is so obvious that there is nobody, there are only things happening, people aren't separate, there is only one. Everything literally is one. How then if there is "no me" in Tony, Jim and Richard there is story about how their message is coming more purely from oneness than the teachings of Rupert, Adyashanti and Eckhart Tolle? Seems very contradicting. There are infinite ways to describe the beloved, every single one of them falls short of the truth. 

I wouldn't say their really talking shit lol, they are trying to describe the misunderstandings that other spiritual teachers often seem to overlook in their communication.

For example:

Staying in the present moment (Eckhart Tolle)

Jim and Tony don't like this phrase because it sounds like something narrow. Why would you need to try to focus on staying in the present moment when all there is, IS THIS.

Obviously their biggest disagreement with these other teachers is the belief that a separate individual can somehow obtain enlightenment through suffering, spiritual practices and self-inquiry.

They point out the supposed separate individual is the illusion itself and that these practices can actually perpetuate the belief that there is a separate individual that can attain something called enlightenment. 

Tony Parsons is like the Godfather of these non-dual messages haha... I'm not sure about the whole neo-advaita stuff but I guess people can call it whatever they want ?

Here is another guy you might be interested in ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I've noticed the same thing, and I agree. You never hear guys like Rupert Spira or Adyashanti doing that, they understand relativity much better. Guys like Tony Parsons and Jim Newman have something about them that is off, and it shows in those snarky comments about other teachers. Not that it matters :)

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

While this perspective of no self is extremely important, the relativity that a self is operating shouldn’t be dismissed. The fact that these neo advaita teachers are still participating in the act of survival necessarily means that a “self” is manifesting. A particular manifestation, a specific rhythmic “happening” is occurring. If you study Peter Ralston’s work he goes way way way into depth of the dynamics of self survival while also teaching about the lack of self, nothing being the existential nature of existence. 

If you jump straight into, “THIS IS IT” you completely limit the possibility of becoming conscious of many, MANY, facets of existence and specifically the way a self is playing out in your experience. Just like the body morphs and changes across time, so too is psychological self survival. Yet if we don’t become conscious of the many mechanisms of how the mind and self are existing, we limit the possibility of self survival’s manifestation. 

Believe it or not, self actualization is the ultimate movement of authentic energy when it comes to self survival. Someone could easily call this is belief system, and that’s fine. But... it’s what Ive observed in my own experience. However, to identify with this self actualization process, to take ownership as “the one who is self actualizing” is to limit the process of self actualization. The self can only truly self actualize when it is seen as an illusion, a pretty big mind fuck. 

Back to the original post though, when we stop at “THIS IS IT,” and are not manifesting self actualized behaviors, emotions, and ways of living, then you are still mired in the illusion of being a self, at some level. And this too is a mind fuck. If the devil, if selfishness and ego are how you interact with the world, you are still holding onto unconscious belief systems that you’ve yet to become conscious of... hence your work does not stop, cannot stop with “THIS IS IT” if you wish to truly understand reality and who and what you are. 

But don’t take my word for it. Just consider this as a possibility. 

8 minutes ago, Consilience said:

While this perspective of no self is extremely important, the relativity that a self is operating shouldn’t be dismissed. The fact that these neo advaita teachers are still participating in the act of survival necessarily means that a “self” is manifesting. 

@traveler That. 

@Consilience I'm amazed at the development of your perspective, brother. It's almost parallel to the some of my realizations and hardships. Thrilled to see where you will continue. 

3 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Obviously their biggest disagreement with these other teachers is the belief that a separate individual can somehow obtain enlightenment through suffering, spiritual practices and self-inquiry.

@VeganAwake This is nonsense. Practices are necessary for a lot of people early on the path. These neo-adavita guys seems like idiots imo.

9 hours ago, Consilience said:

While this perspective of no self is extremely important, the relativity that a self is operating shouldn’t be dismissed. The fact that these neo advaita teachers are still participating in the act of survival necessarily means that a “self” is manifesting. 

There's still a conditioned human body that will turn its head when its name is called or jump out of the way of a train. The human body will still eat when it's hungry and decide to walk over and get a glass of water when it's thirsty. It will also jump out of the way if a snake tries to bite it in the leg.

I know that their messages are radical and there's nothing there for the individual in fact the individual won't even hear their message.

My advice would be to stay radically open-minded and recognize there is some truth in everybody's perspective.

These guys do seem to take it a little extreme but I would also call it walking the walk. 

Survival is not dependent on an illusory ME manifesting inside of the body claiming it's in control of everything.

The body will survive naturally whether the me thinks it's there or not. ❤

Edited by VeganAwake

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

6 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@VeganAwake This is nonsense. Practices are necessary for a lot of people early on the path. These neo-adavita guys seems like idiots imo.

It's a radical message that is rejected by the individual. The individual doesn't like it because it has nothing for it,  it explains the individual is the illusion or the problem itself.

11 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

I wouldn't say their really talking shit lol, they are trying to describe the misunderstandings that other spiritual teachers often seem to overlook in their communication.

For example:

Staying in the present moment (Eckhart Tolle)

Jim and Tony don't like this phrase because it sounds like something narrow. Why would you need to try to focus on staying in the present moment when all there is, IS THIS.

They point out the supposed separate individual is the illusion itself and that these practices can actually perpetuate the belief that there is a separate individual that can attain something called enlightenment. 

Tony Parsons is like the Godfather of these non-dual messages haha... I'm not sure about the whole neo-advaita stuff but I guess people can call it whatever they want ?

Here is another guy you might be interested in ❤

You can attain enlightenment through suffering.   And yes while there is no one to be enlightened - that's only evident afterwards.  That's why its a paradox.  

Also it is really annoying to me the spiritual teachers that make language so strict that you can't say things like staying in the present moment.   I think some teachers make things so strict it takes the fun out of Being because they are sooo hooked on only one facet - about duality being imaginary - that they can't even allow themselves to stop and smell the roses which they themselves created.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Nahm  @VeganAwake Personally i resonate (there is no me so i guess i shouldn't say this) with the guy from the 10th ox herding picture :)?❤  nothing needs to be said or done anymore - all is perfection.  However if one wants to say something its not "spiritually incorrect" either.  All is good to go!!

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

They seem to be having fun always laughing and joking around.

Its a shocking and startling message that the individual never existed and any attempt to get rid of this illusory separate self by means of practices or self-inquiry is simply a futile attempt and can actually perpetuate the illusion of the separate individual... keep you running on the hamster wheel sorta speak.

There is no where to go, and no one to get there. Its simply THIS ?

On 2/19/2020 at 0:31 PM, VeganAwake said:

Its a shocking and startling message that the individual never existed and any attempt to get rid of this illusory separate self by means of practices or self-inquiry is simply a futile attempt and can actually perpetuate the illusion of the separate individual... keep you running on the hamster wheel sorta speak.

If they are joking around about it that's cool.  ")❤?  but if they are seriously locked into it then that would inhibit they're own growth as God.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

On 19.2.2020 at 7:31 PM, VeganAwake said:

I always had resistance to this message, but for some reason I kept watching them. Something resonated. Either way, a falling away of the individual happened and then It was realized that the message they give is so pure and lovely. From the me's perspective it seems kind of dark, "no hope, no one here, totally meaningless." But these are absolutely beautiful descriptions of what is. Totally boundless, no stickiness. Beautifully and simply this, not a big experience or reality bending revelation, just simply this. The greatest joke of all.

@traveler nice one!! ❤

You're like my brother from another mother!! ?

What is Neo advaita?

2 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

What is Neo advaita?

From Wikipedia:

Neo-Advaita, also called the Satsang-movement and Nondualism, is a New Religious Movement, emphasizing the direct recognition of the non-existence of the "I" or "ego," without the need of preparatory practice. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.