ROOBIO

Fear Vs Intuition

4 posts in this topic

Both are gut feelings. When I feel fear, it arises from my gut, the same for intuition. 

Both works against each other, and I need to follow my intuition more.

I started some practices that help. Whenever I vision myself following my life purpose, I get this pleasant feeling arising in my stomach; I felt tears in my eyes and then I smile a lot. I believe this in intuition. Telling me I need to follow up on this vision that I have for my life.

However, at other times, I also experience fear. It arises in my stomach but has an anxious tone to it. Also, thoughts follow saying "What if it doesn't work", "what if it is the wrong vision", "what if you lose your family" etc?

They are like yin and yang.

How do you navigate through this and not let fear stop you from following your intuition?

What is the purpose of this fear?

What do you think the purpose of fear is?  When fear arises in you, check and see.  Contemplate it, feel it, uncover it.  Why is it happening?  Are you creating it?  If so, why?

Watch the thoughts... if they weren't there, would the fear still be there?  Are the thoughts creating the fear?  

Are the thoughts true?  

Look at the thoughts as if from another persons point of view.  When looking at yourself from another's perspective, do the thoughts seem neurotic, fantastical, ridiculous?  Do they sound like victim thoughts?  Do they seem like thoughts created by your ego/homeostasis?  

When you see that the thoughts which are creating the fear are absurd, and obviously not true and are designed simply for you to stay where you are and to not help you, then, I've found, you'll be way more free of the fear and those thoughts.  

You'll see the thoughts and say "Wait!  Why the hell am I believing these thoughts?!  They obviously only have one goal: to bring me down.  Haha!  Why would I ever believe these thoughts?"

If a thought arises, see it as something other than you and ask yourself "Am I believing this thought?"  If you are, then you know it's not true and you can stop believing it.  If no, then, already, it doesn't have a hold on you.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Ask "Are these thoughts useful in creating the life I want?". Then breath, create space for the feelings, and connect back with following ones life purpose.

The purpose of the feeling is survival, it wasn't that long ago we were running around as hunter gathers who needed to know if a sound was a dangous animal or a friend, making a mistake there could pay with your life. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@ROOBIO : Ha! I asked this same question some time ago.  I can say that (although I appreciate the input of others) I still don't have clarity on this issue.  I do wish Leo would do an episode on it.  

The thing that is troubling is that I have pursued things that I fear are the wrong decision for me, and they have turned out to be wonderful choices for me.  If I would have followed my intuition, I would have not pursued them.  Life would have been fine, but I probably would have regret about not doing these things because my intuition told me that it was not the right decision for me. 

Life is complex :)