Saarah

What Actions/behaviours Contribute Towards Strengthening The Ego?

21 posts in this topic

Can someone point to the types of things we do in our daily lives that strengthen the illusion of the ego?

I think if you were doing enlightenment work, it'd be important to find ways to weaken all the pervasive ways this illusion exists in all areas of our lives, not just during that sitting of self-inquiry 

Im thinking of things like making judgements, all the neurotic behaviours, lying, moralising etc., would improving yourself in these areas aid in weakening the ego, since they are about accepting reality more? 

Thanks! 

Hey , Here is what I think. Let's assume that you will get better at these activities ;you will not lie so often; you will be careful when you judge and so on ; you create a image of your self and you tell yourself ok this is me:  I don't lie , I don't cheat ,I meditate and I am growing  every day bla bla bla. But notice that is all an image, the image of your ideal self .

And I think that the early stages of self development will not make your ego weak, I think that the early stages  of self development will grow a healthy strong ego . When you think of yourself , what do you think ?  If you are honest no matter how much self development work you have done , you'll have an image of the ideal self

What makes the difference is a healthy strong ego , a sense of self that gives you the power to move on , that you are worthy , a weak ego cannot do that , a weak ego will defend itself to the core .

Maybe I am wrong on this but I find the whole weak ego strong ego point doesn't make sense. To me ego is like death , either you're dead or not ; either you have an ego or you don't 

This line of thinking is neurotic in itself. 

And disappointing for such a promising candidate. 

What strengthens the "ego" is imagining that you have any control over this whatsoever.

Face and accept judgement. And you will find that judgement is a neurotic way of avoiding pain (control).

Face and accept pain (because you have no control over it) and you will find yourself in the transcendent within 3.8 seconds and laughing your ass off because you just saw how the cosmic joke was on you!

It's not rocket science 

Edited by Mal

@Donald I see, use the ego to move forward, definitely! :) 

@Andre Thanks for sharing! I like his message of simply being aware of the ego and using it as necessary 

@Mal Ok, I recognise I have no control over it

@Saarah

What are you talking about?

"It"?

You ARE the ego. When are you not ever the ego? When are you not ever you?

The point is to accept whatever arises.  You as the ego THINKS YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT IS GOING TO BE, OR NOT BE

You think you can avoid judgement? Bullshit. What you are is not Sarah, what you are IS JUGEMENT. 

If youre-cognize that, you will become

PAIN that judgement was trying to avoid. 

As you realize you are pain, and not Sarah, you realize that you are also all things, and that ,"Sarah" was the joke the cosmos was playing on you.

Can somebody please do a fucking video explaining this and be done with it, because it's getting old having to go over it again and again

@Mal Alright I get it, thanks for your input 

I AM ALL THOSE THINGS

maybe you should make the video if it's getting to you so much :) 

Actually, it's not a personality thing but more a mirror to see what the ego is doing. Seeing your ways of fixating and also revealing your essence and even deeper - truth. Some authors use it just as a classification of personalities but  that's not what it can really do and is very superficial. Some - imo - good authors are Eli Jaxon Bear, Sandra Maitri, Almaas. Just go on amazon. Most of the time you can preview books. That's enough to see if something resonates for you. If it doesn't there is no need to look into it a great deal.

@Saarah

"YOU" will never get it. 

Don't come back with an answer saying you "get it" because you clearly don't. You're just wasting our time by intellectualising this nonsense. 

Do the excersise people are spending their preciois time on here for you to have an experience.

Less of the lip service responses saying you get something and actually take some effort thinking about things that matter.

10 hours ago, Saarah said:

Thanks for sharing! I like his message of simply being aware of the ego and using it as necessary

@Saarah I believe ego has its purpose.

@Mal I would absolutely love if "YOU" made this video. I have video equipment lets do this! 

@Toby That's a nice way to use it, I'll check them out thanks! Then I guess with whatever I discover I'll just practice more awareness and perhaps I'll begin to notice everything in real time :) 

@Corte

LOL 

Thank you for being you 

Unfortunately my time here has come to an end, so I'm going to pass on the invite.  Who on earth would watch it anyway? Certainly not the "information gatherers" among us. :)

Warm regards 

Mal

All your actions contribute to the strengthening of the ego, including meditation. Until they don't.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I think you should not try to eliminatie all those things. Its okay to judge , its okay to lie its okay to do anything... As long as you are aware that you are doing it.

Eventually you will stop doing all these things automatically.

@Saarah what to you mean by ego? The word has been used so many times in so many differen contexts (some positive as your "true self", some negative as "a social avatar that you might mistake with your true self" , some neutral as in just the greece word for self ... and so on ) 

In the end the ego is a concept / a word or a map ...and like all maps it is something you can throw away as soon as you arrive at the territory which is here and now :) 

@Falk thanks! I just wonder why the grip onto the map is so strong :')