UnbornTao

Books & logistical concern

9 posts in this topic

How do you guys read? Which format do you prefer?

eBooks are convenient but you can easily get overwhelmed and distracted amid tons of digital files.

What about audiobooks?

Edited by UnbornTao

I love paperback because I highlight the shit out of them. And they just look cool. I also like how people can see the work you are putting into something, that this work is not something you take lightly (although I couldn't care less what people think). 

It can also get extremely expensive to order them for me here to Iceland. I usually use bookdepository .com, as they have free shipping on all books. But the problem is if I order for example 10 books, they might arrive as 1-10 packages, then I have to pay tax on each package which is 11% here. But usually, some of them arrive together which is nice. Last time I ordered 7 books and they all came in one big box; so that was a big win. 

On 2/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, fridjonk said:

I love paperback because I highlight the shit out of them

xD

I’ll try it.

Edited by UnbornTao

56 minutes ago, Arzola said:

Have you tried ordering Amazon second-hand books?

That's way worse, I ordered one 20$ book from amazon and it ended up being around 50$ in the end with shipping and tax. I'm very happy with book-depository tho, It says when it dispatches from the warehouse. So if the days are matching for all of the books (usually says "Dispatches in 2 days), if they all have the same date - they arrive together. :)

@Arzola I like the paperbacks too much that I'll keep on just buying them. ;) As Leo said, you can't be cheap with this stuff. But a kindle will do also. 

On 13.2.2020 at 4:57 PM, Arzola said:

Ebooks, on the other hand, are more convenient but they get lost amid hundreds of other digital files. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with so many ebooks. 

This, to me, looks very much like a self-imposed limitation. Instead of grabbing a book in a bookshelf, I simply pick one in my library on my Kindle. What's the big difference?

Kindle Paperwhite, with LED backlights  turned off, is pretty much exactly like reading an ordinary book. But it's also so much cheaper and more accessible.

Making highlights is also super easy on a Kindle. You simply swipe your finger over the text to be highlighted.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

For some reason I hate ebooks. Digital versions of paperbacks are hard to read and make the eyes tired. I have never owned a Kindle, maybe they really are comfortable. The Kindle books are ugly though, the text is formatted like on the web page, I don't know maybe they have improved it by now, I have looked into it last time a few years ago. Paperbacks are art.

I read like 70% audiobooks, 25% paperbacks, 5% ebooks on computers.

There's a trick with Audible to listen to 3 books a month instead of one. You can return a book 2 times, no questions asked. It's rather obvious, but I didn't think about it when I first made an account there. Not every book is a kind of book that I would be reading again, so I order it first, listen to, then return.