capriciousduck

Language Learning

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I am preparing for IELTS. I can read and write well but I can't speak properly in English. I feel like, while talking in English, my brain's processing speed is too slow. I am aware that the best way to improve my speaking skill is through speaking to more people. However, I am interested in knowing which thing brings good results? I mean what is the "root" thing to learning a language? So that I will concentrate on that one thing if I lack it.

1 hour ago, capriciousduck said:

I can read and write well but I can't speak properly in English. I feel like, while talking in English, my brain's processing speed is too slow.

Me too! I also usually need to look into the void to extract phrases. lol. It sucks, but I guess practice makes perfect.

However, I'm interested what other people would say about this.

To improve your speaking u need to increase the amount of your language input (reading and listening). As you increase it and then trying to use them in your speaking, you can improve your speaking.

That's what worked for me well.

As @Elham you need to listen/read as much as you can, even though I would suggest you start listening more(you didn't mention how good your listening skills are). Before you start speaking you need to accurately understand all the English sounds because when it comes to English pronunciation is very important.

The "root" as you call it it's basically understanding that a language it's something sub-conscious for example; you don't need to think about grammar when you speak your native language the words just come naturally to you. Another example's just how you are capable of understanding someone without stopping and translating you just make an instant connection and it's almost impossible for you to not understanding even if you try lol.

So after a certain amount of hours of listening you will be able to speak almost naturally without making mistake(because you listened to native speakers saying that countless times). 

So is that it? Nope

I would recommend learning how to use Anki and learn the most used phrases in English with flashcards 20 new cards a day it's enough - not the most fun thing to do but it's good for your discipline and you will see results as you go through

The last advice, due to the fact that you have to do an exam, go watch videos on youtube of what the exam will be like and prepare in advance some answers to their questions(or understand the structures and useful keywords).

And if you don't have yet a good pronunciation or it takes you a long time to come up with words, just don't speak because that way you are habituating yourself to do mistakes and pronounce incorrectly, instead listen a lot for at least 1 month while not speaking a word. Then if you see improvements go ahead practice what've said.

Good luck

I know a guy who just spoke to people in english as much as he could

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Language learning actually ties in nicely with the work we are all doing on this forum, cool topic.

Ask yourself how you learned a language in the first place. You were so absorptive precisely because of your lack of consciousness as a child. You allowed the sounds to slip in unnoticed into your mind such that you actually believed that the word chair was somehow as real as the chair for example. This process occurs at lightning speed before you could ever notice it was happening. When learning a new language you shouldnt notice your doing it.

Basically if you try to use the conscious mind too much you'll pick up the language far slower.

Also notice that there were concepts that existed for you prior to gaining language that you then labeled with language. There too are concepts that could only exist for you AFTER gaining language. Making this distinction will help you to stack what youve already learned and deepen your mastery of the language in ways that are impossible via simple translation.

It helps to recreate a childlike state to achieve all this, which is marked physiologically by increased neuroplasticity, which can be induced by microdosing psychedelics, using a tdcs machine for the DARPA accelerated learning montage (google it) or the best--- combine your language learning with an activity that activates reward circuits that have a pay off aside from simply grasping the concept. Flirting with someone in your target language will massively increase your language ability.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

Im 26 and I have been learning English since I was 11, and I like to think that I got the writing part of English pretty well handled but my spoken English is very poor. Grammar is fine, but the pronunciation is difficult for me and words often come out unclear. Its also difficult in the moment.

But the darnest thing happened to me once while I was sitting in a taxi in another country. Basically I was extremely relaxed and my life was at its best in the moment as I was on my way to the airport, and when I spoke with the taxi driver my English was beautiful! Every word came out clear like English was my mother language! I didn't have to think any word, I didn't notice any flaws, I just sat and everything I wanted to communicate came out loud and clear!

So I have been wondering, could it be that my poor spoken English is due to some kind of anxiety Im not aware of? Something that the temporary moment of extreme happiness just dissolved and allowed me to speak the language to my fullest potential?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Edited by Hansu

@Hansu My ability to speak to Chinese effectivley to the locals i meet normally depends on a couple of things. First, how receptive the other person is to me and my Chinese skills. Some people are just better listeners and friendlier people which allows me to be more relaxed and gain more confidence in the moment when i know they are understanding me clearly and they are giving me positive feedback. Fluency can mean flow, and it takes two people to have a flowing conversation. In China there is usually a correlation between the age of the person and how well i can communicate with them. Younger people in there 20s and 30s, and 40s all speak Mandarin very well generally speaking but when i speak to people in there 50s, 60s and above thats when i struggle to communicate and understand them. Also, some people just don't have the space within them to understan you, some people just look at me blanky and tell me they dont understand over and over again even though im using a simple phrase that i use everyday and i know that 90% of people get it.

I agree with you, confidence and your only state matters hugely in speaking a language. The person we are talking too can help put us in a more relaxed and confident state, this then helps the language flow more and we are more willing to just fucking go for it and not care about fucking it up, its at that moment you will do your best. Being stuck in your head and anxious is when you end up making shit tones of mistakes and freezing up, so worrying about your ability to communicate is actually fucking pointless because by not worrying, you put yourself in the best position. The ideal situation would be to develop your confidence and inner being to one when you are relaxed, happy and focused and always just do your best. The good thing about living in China is that Chinese people are pretty impressed by foreingers even speaking one word of Chinese so anything else you can say blows their mind and you already have their attention. They are also very understanding because they dont really expect you to be able to speak the language and their default assumption is that you cant say a word,  so when you do talk they are good at matching your ability, slowing down, and helping you find your words which is awesome! Having good people to talk to helps a lot.