Rasheed

All People Experienced in Nutrition...Advice On My Nutrition Problem?

11 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I have this issue, which I become aware of, only now. 

This is what I eat in a day: 1). Basmati Rice with Red Lentils. 2). Buckwheat with Split Peas. 3). Millet and Quinoa. 

My issue: After every meal, I feel bloated. 

What made me think about this is: I am reading Tony Robbins book "Unlimited Power". In this book, he talks about right food combining. Wrong food combining is combining starchy food with protein source. Now my question is:

- Am I making food combining mistake? I am making bad combine choices? What is causing the issue and how can I solve it?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Need a bit more info: 

• do you get constipation/diarrhoea? 
  • Does your poo seem to have a normal shape?  (not liquid and not too hard & bulky)
  • do you react to every meal? 
  • How long has it been going on? 
  • How long after the meal does it start? 
  • How are you with vegetables, legumes, fruits
  • Are you allergic to anything? 
  • Do you have any known food sensitivities? 
  • Do you also get pain in your abdomen? 
  • Acne? other skin conditions? 
  • Do you cook the lentils or buy canned? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I ate way too many lentils and beans, and peas (all legumes) for a year (all very carefully cooked and rinsed well) with no problems and now cannot tolerate them or a good amount of other foods. I'm not entirely sure I should blame the diet I was on, but I would suggest not eating beans every single day if you're having any bloating issues. Quinoa is another food that can be really difficult to digest for some. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Need a bit more info: 

• do you get constipation/diarrhoea? 
  • Does your poo seem to have a normal shape?  (not liquid and not too hard & bulky)
  • do you react to every meal? 
  • How long has it been going on? 
  • How long after the meal does it start? 
  • How are you with vegetables, legumes, fruits
  • Are you allergic to anything? 
  • Do you have any known food sensitivities? 
  • Do you also get pain in your abdomen? 
  • Acne? other skin conditions? 
  • Do you cook the lentils or buy canned? 
  • No constipation/diarrhea
  • My poo is normal
  • I have bloating often. I will focus on looking at my belly, after every meal. I don't know for a fact.
  • How long? I don't know. I noticed it, for a while now.
  • I am good with vegetables, fruits and legumes. No issues.
  • 0 allergy.
  • No food sensitivies.
  • Pain in my abdomen, only when: I have excess gass, stuck in ke, and I can't let it go. When I let it go, pain goes. 
  • Acne is my issue.
  • I cook lentils.
3 hours ago, mandyjw said:

I ate way too many lentils and beans, and peas (all legumes) for a year (all very carefully cooked and rinsed well) with no problems and now cannot tolerate them or a good amount of other foods. I'm not entirely sure I should blame the diet I was on, but I would suggest not eating beans every single day if you're having any bloating issues. Quinoa is another food that can be really difficult to digest for some. 

I do not eat beans daily but I eat lentils daily...Quinoa daily...

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

You can start by supporting your gastric acid production. If that doesn't help you can investigate deeper to the intestinal level. 

1. Proper chewing sits on the top of the chain. Chewing produces salivary amylase which digests carbohydrates. Disconnect from all videos and media and solely focus on eating. Chew until the food turns into a shapeless consistency in your mouth. Take smaller heaps and eat slow. 

2. Try doing 5 minutes of deep abdominal breathing before every meal. This stimulates vagus nerve get away from nervous system activation and more towards digestive process. 

3. try reducing the lentil doses to get your microbiome adjusted to it. ANd cook them until they are effortlessly squashed between fingers. 

4. If none of the above works ,bitter herbs stimulate gastric acid production. You can look into artichoke, or gentian tincture and drop few drops on your tongue 10 minutes before eating. Alternatively you can do 1 tbsp of apple-cider vinegar before meal with water. 

See if any of that helps. If not, let us know and we can look into further things. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

35 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

You can start by supporting your gastric acid production. If that doesn't help you can investigate deeper to the intestinal level. 

1. Proper chewing sits on the top of the chain. Chewing produces salivary amylase which digests carbohydrates. Disconnect from all videos and media and solely focus on eating. Chew until the food turns into a shapeless consistency in your mouth. Take smaller heaps and eat slow. 

2. Try doing 5 minutes of deep abdominal breathing before every meal. This stimulates vagus nerve get away from nervous system activation and more towards digestive process. 

3. try reducing the lentil doses to get your microbiome adjusted to it. ANd cook them until they are effortlessly squashed between fingers. 

4. If none of the above works ,bitter herbs stimulate gastric acid production. You can look into artichoke, or gentian tincture and drop few drops on your tongue 10 minutes before eating. Alternatively you can do 1 tbsp of apple-cider vinegar before meal with water. 

See if any of that helps. If not, let us know and we can look into further things. 

Thanks. I apprrciate you. Extremely helpful.

Do you see any problem with my food combining? Maybe I am combining wrong pairs of food...What's your opinion on that?

28 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Do you see any problem with my food combining? Maybe I am combining wrong pairs of food...What's your opinion on that?

Not necessarily. Food combining is not problem for most people unless you go and eat steak with apples. Your combinations seem quite healthy, more on the complex-carb end. There is not that much protein in lentils to produce any severe reaction with quinoa but you can test them separately and see if that helps. 

How long have you been eating like that? Depending on quantity you could try to switch up the rice and quinoa a bit more with something easier to digest. 

I eat a lot of quinoa, typically about 3/4 cup a day. But in the morning I have a smoothie with a mixture of fruits and veggies. I would say at first this was harder to adjust to. I don't have any issues at all with it now. But I imagine an excess amount of stuff like rice and quinoa is going to make you feel bloated like that depending on the amount. At least that is my experience with it. It took awhile for my body to adjust to it. I would try to just rotate out one on those with something like a salad, smoothie, nuts, etc. Then see how it goes from there. 

You might also be experiencing more gas due to increased fiber intake. Are you drinking enough water? That could be a big part of the issue too. 

Sounds like you eat a lot of carbs. 

I used to eat lots of beans, rice, lentils, legumes, quinoa and felt very bloated/gassy all the time. This diet also gave me lots of inflammation which lead to breathing and lower back issues. 

I cut out all dairy, grains, seeds and nuts. 

Now days I eat a ketogenic style diet. Literally all I eat is organic meat and vegetables. I’m 220lbs at 9% BF and feel fantastic.

Something to consider. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@Michael569 great advice as always. 

I think you mentioned it but properly soaking and cooking these foods is essential to avoid digestive issues, also if you went from a completely different diet straight to this that could explain it. 

I used to get bloating a lot after every meal, but once I started cooking the food properly, eating slower and chewing properly it went away. 

Also, for Acne, I managed to completely clear mine when I went Vegan, lots of healthy fruit and Veg though, which you don't seem to have much of at all. You didn't mention any Fruit, or any leafy greens etc. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Yes. Your food is causing bloating. You need to go easy on lentils and rice. Include vegetables in it. Don't just eat rice and lentils on their own. They are known to cause gas and prolonged eating them causes many joint diseases and pains. 

So here's a trick on how to eat them - add gas reducing foods whenever you eat these. Add garlic, ginger, pepper or chillies to it. Never cook these without any of these ingredients. If you want to know more about foods that cause gas/bloating, google types of food according to Ayurveda. 

Also, do not eat them at night. Digestion becomes weak at night and these foods are hard to digest. So less digestion = more bloating. Try to have all such heavy meals before sunset. or at least 4 hours before bed time. 

And eat a little less. Do not eat until full. Leave some space in your stomach for air and water movement. 

And lastly. Cook them very well - not al-dente. It should be mushy for it to digest well. And cook in ghee instead of oil. 

(Source: Common practices in traditional Indian diet. I'm Indian.)