Kshantivadin

Instagram, yes or no? pros and cons, can't decide

7 posts in this topic

I see the potential for it bringing quality into my life. I am trying to allow myself to get inspired and not be so anal about asceticism.

It can also be toxic.

I don't know what to do. I have an Instagram account for half a year now, and I can say it enriched my life. My rules for usage were :

no opening stories unless the people I chatted with in the past 3 days posted something, no scrolling feed, no explore button

The last week or two I've been watching ALL the stories sometimes. I don't know if it's harmful. Also, the mega easy access to sexual content might be a dealbreaker.

I still can't decide. Post your thoughts about this.

Maybe you can take a break?

one day this will all be memories

Doesn't Instagram ban all sexual content?

I think you should ask: Does instagram serve your goals? If it does and does it well - use it. If not - get rid of it.

I personally don't see much value for myself here. I don't even use it for business purposes (although my biz is purely based online).

Edited by Hello from Russia

@kag101 I don't understand?

44 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

Doesn't Instagram ban all sexual content?

I think you should ask: Does instagram serve your goals? If it does and does it well - use it. If not - get rid of it.

I personally don't see much value for myself here. I don't even use it for business purposes (although my biz is purely based online).

There's lots of women being mildly or overtly sexual, lewd content etc. I guess it does serve my goals, I'll have to inquire.

4 hours ago, Kshantivadin said:

I don't understand?

Take a break from Instagram. Not use it for a few days, or weeks.

Btw -

6 hours ago, Kshantivadin said:

no opening stories unless the people I chatted with in the past 3 days posted something, no scrolling feed, no explore button

That sounds pretty neurotic.

Edited by kag101

one day this will all be memories

1 hour ago, Kshantivadin said:

@kag101 I don't understand?

There's lots of women being mildly or overtly sexual, lewd content etc. I guess it does serve my goals, I'll have to inquire.

Another great way to approach this is from the opposite side: "What goal\purpose does instagram serve me? Why am I attracted to it so much?". You may find very insightful answers.

For example, you might notice that you go to instagram when you hit brick wall in the current work that you do and you're tired and you use instagram as a distraction to have even tiny moment to relax and have your dopamine spiked. So hence, you'd find out that you probably need take breaks more often and relax in a more effective ways. 

^ Such thing was definitely the case for me (Although not with Instagram). I had the tendency to "cram" my work and not take any breaks. And it backfired, since the mind seeks any opportunity to stop whatever you're doing and have some time to recharge. Maybe you can spot some simillar patterns in your case

If you have something short and specific to do, under few minutes, something that has proven to yield results. Than yea. If you use it strategically and wisely it can be useful. 

But If you engage in scrolling or story clicking of any sort, you leave yourself open for mind hacking. The app is designed to keep you hooked for as long as possible. It wrecks your dopamine response and will make life all around less juicy, carrier, discipline, relationships, all of it. And no, you can not fight it and have control over it, you will fall for it. That is how it works.

Proceed with caution mate. It is sticky stuff.