DefinitelyNotARobot

Is there an observer?

30 posts in this topic

"Is there an observer?"

When the mind thinks "Is there. . . (x)?", it is a relative with more fundamental questions of "what is creation?', "what is real or imagined?".

We can create a thing called an "observer" if we like. Millions of humans have explored this "observer", buddhists, mediators, Rupert Spira often talk about an "observer". There are some really beautiful ideas and expressions of an "observer". Quite often, my subjective experience is that of an observer. To me, it's a space I find intriguing and like to explore. 

As well, for there to be an "observer", we need to have "an observed". That's cool. Currently there is observation of my environment. The subjective experience in my mind and body right now is that there is observation of that which is observed. We could go really deep into this realm, it's fascinating.

Or we can take other views. If there is awareness of an "observer", who/what is aware of the "observer"? For me, the term "observer" carries a personal connotation, so I often simply rest in "there is observation happening". Yet it still applies. Who/what is aware of the observation happening? And can observation observe itself?. . .

We can rest in observation of the observed. We can also "flip" into observation = observed. This is also a wonderful realm to explore. 

2 hours ago, steenadrianmr said:

Is a hallucination unreal?

Good question! From a non-dual perspective? Yes AND no. If you are dehydrating and you hallucinate drinking water, would you be hydrated? No. But even dehydrating would be a hallucination, wouldn't it? I mean everything is subjective. So it depends on your perspective. (If you saw somebody hallucinate drinking water, would the water be real to YOU?)

59 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

As well, for there to be an "observer", we need to have "an observed".

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

observation = observed

This makes me think...

My mind tries to separate the observer from the observed. But if reality is true oneness, then there wouldn't be a difference between the two, right? I think I now get what Leo was saying about reality observing reality. 

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

"what is creation?', "what is real or imagined?"

That brings us back to what reality is. How and why is it observing itself? Also, what does observation even mean in the context of the whole?

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

To me, it's a space I find intriguing and like to explore. 

I bet! There are a lot of things about that question that can be explored. Even just meditating on the question of "who" or "what" that observer is can be a lot of fun!

beep boop

@DefinitelyNotARobot  ?❤?

On 2020-02-11 at 3:17 AM, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Is this just the ego trying to distract me, or is there actually some deeper realization that I just have to push through to? And how would I do that?

Push through to where? You are already it, the pushing through is the illusion. It's a barrier made by the ego to push through as the ego. Let the realization come or don't come, it will happen when it happens, spontaneously, without effort. ?

Could it be the case that there is just observing happening? If imputation is required, "blame" it on Nothing.

If "I" know that "I Exist" or  "I Am",
what is the "I" ,or the knowing , by which I know "I Exist"?
If I'm observing an object such as thoughts,emotions,sensations etc.,,what is the knowing by which the act of observing is known?
What do the words "I Am" point to and/or, arise from? " They point to/arise from, the wordless knowing, and/or, aware essence (awareness), with which and by which, the knowing (awareness) "I Am"or "I Exist" is known. "I" is the silent,wordless,aware knowing, with which and by which all that is or can be known, is known. What is known, cannot be separate from the knowing with which, and by which, it is known,Therefore all that is known or can be known, is pervaded by the all one Self/Presence/Consciousness/Awareness/ Knowing .
Therefore, "You" are the Presence/Existence/Consciousness/Awareness/Knowing, that pervades all experience. No experience is absent of the Knowing/Awareness of it. Without "You", the objectless Knowing,Conscious Awareness, nothing can be known.
This is what Omniscience or All Knowing is. It doesn't mean "I know "intellectually" everything there is to know",it means All Conscious,All Aware. All that is known or to be known, is pervaded by 'Me" or "I" (the Self),the non-objective Existence/Consciousnesss/Awareness/Knowing, with which and by which, all exists.

Therefore,'I" Am in all things, and all things are in "Me". Tat Tvam Asi  (That Thou Art/I Am That).

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

Another way of pointing to it is "You" or "I" ,Am the Existence with which Existence is known.
I Am Self luminous,Self Knowing Existence.
I Am in all things, and all things are in "Me"(One).
That Thou Art. I Am That.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

@DefinitelyNotARobot  It's paradoxical, even as we will transcend all the layers of self consciousness so we perceive from observer-less observation it still is perceiving from awareness....awareness in it's genuine nature is observing.