Derek White

Update On Jordan Peterson, In ‘Absolute Hell’

51 posts in this topic

I find this National Post article interesting, thought I’d share. It seems our friend JP has been in a bad condition.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/jordan-petersons-year-of-absolute-hell-professor-forced-to-retreat-from-public-life-because-of-tranquilizer-addiction/amp

His family flew him to Russia for his treatment because they claim North American hospitals misdiagnosed him and pharmaceutical companies have less influence in Russia (claiming corruption in NA).

Here are some cool excerpts:

“His conditioned worsened through the winter, Mikhaila said. He was driven to thoughts of suicide by a movement disorder called akathisia, a well known side effect of various drugs for mental illnesses. It is a sense of restlessness and an inability to sit still.

She [his daughter] said Russian doctors are not influenced by pharmaceutical companies to treat the side-effects of one drug with more drugs, and that they ‘have the guts to medically detox someone from benzodiazepines.’

Maybe his autoimmune disorders have to do with his philosophy and how he holds his body? (This is probably not true, now that I think about it)

Maybe JP will realize that “the left” that he criticizes is not so bad. Maybe this will change his view on competition, “freebies”, western culture and free market economy too.

I always thought JP was in deep suffering.  I think it was and is evident by his health, emotions and his face. His way of thinking hasn’t served him. It’s too rigid and uptight.

Feel free to express what you think about this and share any information you have on him that’s relevant.

Hope he gets well?

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

It's very revealing how the conservative religious right have rallied around an immoral corrupt conman and a drug addicted pop psychologist grifter as their leaders and mentors.

I hope he can resolve his dependency issues but if he does I suspect he will just use the 'come back' to continue with the bigoted grift machine he's built which the 'believers' will buy into again.

Edited by SOUL

Careful when speculating about another's health.

Autoimmune disorders are very common these days. I struggle with that myself. Autoimmune disorders can be very complex. There's not one simple cause or solution.

His drug addiction was supposedly due to his wife being diagnosed with cancer or something terrible like that. Life can get very challenging sometimes no matter how developed or spiritual you are.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Derek White said:

Maybe his autoimmune disorders have to do with his philosophy and how he holds his body?

i wouldn't think his current mental or physical healfh would have anything to do with his philosophy or worldview.   I hope gets back on his feet it sounds like he is going through a really tough time.

Who knows maybe it will counter intuitively lead him to enlightenment.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Speaking of disorders. I got a question for everyone here.

When I get sick I typically have more energy and am able to work harder and faster on whatever I’m doing.

Is this normal?

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

It seems as though his 100% carnivore diet that supposedly "cures depression & almost all diseases" didn't really work. What a surprise... 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

His drug addiction was supposedly due to his wife being diagnosed with cancer or something terrible like that.

Does untreated depression enter the equation?

27 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

i wouldn't think his current mental or physical healfh would have anything to do with his philosophy or worldview.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, it seems that he's still relying on alternative treatments. This reminds me of how Steve Jobs tried to cure his cancer, and the consequences of that...

It's crazy how very intelligent people can believe in pseudoscience.

29 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Who knows maybe it will counter intuitively lead him to enlightenment.  

Lol, sorry, but I don't buy into that stuff. And I think it's dangerous how this idea is frequently repeated in spiritual circles. 

"Oh... but Eckhart Tolle..." Am I allowed to say that imo he's not truly awakened?

19 minutes ago, Thewritersunion said:

When I get sick I typically have more energy and am able to work harder and faster on whatever I’m doing.

Is this normal?

Do you really need someone to give you an answer to that?

Edited by kag101

one day this will all be memories

26 minutes ago, kag101 said:

Unfortunately, it seems that he's still relying on alternative treatments. This reminds me of how Steve Jobs tried to cure his cancer, and the consequences of that...

It's crazy how very intelligent people can believe in pseudoscience.

When you get a serious disorder that traditional medicine cannot cure, you'll turn to alternative treatments too.

You don't appreciate how serious these issues can be and how many disorders traditional medicine only makes worse.

It's easy to take your health for granted when you're young and it comes effortlessly to you.

Hope enlightenment will prevent me from kicking and screaming when my survival is threatened, but until then we'll never know.

3 hours ago, Derek White said:

Maybe his autoimmune disorders have to do with his philosophy and how he holds his body?

Maybe JP will realize that “the left” that he criticizes is not so bad. Maybe this will change his view on competition, “freebies”, western culture and free market economy too.

I always thought JP was in deep suffering.  I think it was and is evident by his health, emotions and his face. His way of thinking hasn’t served him. It’s too rigid and uptight.

Projection

41 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

When you get a serious disorder that traditional medicine cannot cure, you'll turn to alternative treatments too.

You don't appreciate how serious these issues can be and how many disorders traditional medicine only makes worse.

It's easy to take your health for granted when you're young and it comes effortlessly to you.

Amen. Preach.

Dr. Jordan Peterson changed my life.  Him along with about a million other things.  I hope that he can find some help for what he is going through.  Because you know, caring about other human beings is really what it is all about.

I don't care all the time for his politics, but, I believe that being accountable for yourself, and being honest and truthful and taking responsibility for things is extremely important in this world.  It's something that is easily missed by the resentful.  I was a resentful person for a very long time regarding just about everything, till I took responsibility for myself and realized that it wasn't the world that needed to change.  It was me.

I also enjoy watching people project themselves all over him.  It's kinda comical to me, but again, I make an effort to love everyone regardless.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Autoimmune disorders are very common these days. I struggle with that myself. Autoimmune disorders can be very complex. There's not one simple cause or solution.

True.

Actually I got the idea from you, that some diseases might be psychosomatic, from your body awareness video and I think you also mention it in your stage orange (or blue?) video if I'm not wrong.

2 hours ago, Thewritersunion said:

Is this normal?

@Thewritersunion I am the same way If I have a fever or a common cold. I think it has to with you knowing that you can't mess up or otherwise you will feel too tired to work. Having lower energy can make you more cautious about where you spend it and how you use your time.

34 minutes ago, Robert Leavitt said:

Dr. Jordan Peterson changed my life.  Him along with about a million other things.  I hope that he can find some help for what he is going through.  Because you know, caring about other human beings is really what it is all about.

I don't care all the time for his politics, but, I believe that being accountable for yourself, and being honest and truthful and taking responsibility for things is extremely important in this world.  It's something that is easily missed by the resentful.  I was a resentful person for a very long time regarding just about everything, till I took responsibility for myself and realized that it wasn't the world that needed to change.  It was me.

I also enjoy watching people project themselves all over him.  It's kinda comical to me, but again, I make an effort to love everyone regardless.

That's good. But JP is usually the resentful one... I guess we can agree to disagree.

51 minutes ago, Derek White said:

Actually I got the idea from you, that some diseases might be psychosomatic

Of course some can be, but that doesn't mean all are.

1 hour ago, Derek White said:

True.

Actually I got the idea from you, that some diseases might be psychosomatic, from your body awareness video and I think you also mention it in your stage orange (or blue?) video if I'm not wrong.

The video his daughter posted was quite clear. He was on a very physically addictive  antipsychotic medication to deal with the suffering of his wife who was dying of cancer. As he was trying to get off the medication he suffered from a rare yet not unheard of case of absolutely devastating case of withdrawal that left him on the brink of suicide. He went for help by going to the hospital to get treatment to help himself get off the medication safely while battling the withdrawal symptoms. 

Let me be clear, if you have not been on a antipsychotic medication (antidepressants, mood stabilizers, tranquilizers to bring down bipolar people from manic episodes, etc.) you have no clue what withdrawal from those things it’s like. Pretty much all antipsychotic medication have warning labels about not getting off too quickly because the withdrawal can be so bad and so sudden you can end up killing yourself and not even know why. If you have not had this experience you have no idea the level of hell this is. You can be having a seemingly great day and within a matter of minutes after being several days off the medication you can be on the brink of killing yourself. 

For those using developmental models of psychological development (which are abstract conceptual generalizations of individuals, collectives/cultural memes), you are merely projecting your own ignorance on a man you don’t know. 

How about we express some compassion for a human being whose been going through hell rather than express petty likes and dislikes that have everything to do with mind and ego? If you’re going to try and critique, pick apart, ridicule, and delegitimize every person based on their stage of development than you’re wasting your time. Jordan Peterson is actually a very healthy Orange modernist and makes and has very useful points and perspectives on some of the problems in the world. If your case is that “well he’s just an orange rationalist who thinks logic is supreme and has no idea about God,” what exactly is the point you’re trying to make? That enlightened people are the only people worth listening to? Newsflash, the more developed you are, the more capable you are of making bigger mistakes. The more developed you are, the more capable you are of both benevolence and also malevolence. A Turquoise ashram leader who hasn’t done any shadow work is more capable of harm than a Magenta (purple) tribesman who hunts with sticks. A truly conscious person in practice is able to really learn from Peterson and appreciate the fact that he’s actually very integrated person for his altitude of development given the amount of shadow work he’s clearly done. He highlights very big real problems of both Green and Blue. Those points are worth listening to. Take what is useful, toss the rest and have compassion for another human being that’s going through hell. The odds of people who are not in the public light, not to mention how much of the public light he’s under, to handle criticism as well has he has is so extraordinarily low it would baffle you. I highly suggest to forum users that it’s wise to really appreciate, learn, integrate, and the value all the different stages of development. 

Edited by kieranperez

@kieranperez Dude chill, I don't hate JP. Thanks for your info on psychotic meds.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

I hope nothing but the best for his health. I learned quite a bit from him and he told me what I needed to hear at the right time. I've definitely transcended what he has to offer and learned what I can from him, but I hope he gets back to himself so he can go full strength at helping people who were in my position when I needed him.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Very old news. You must have been living under a rock. 

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

1 hour ago, Shiva99 said:

@Shiva99 The article and the video are from last Friday. He has just come out of an intensive care unit. They flew him to Russia last month. He was writing articles in late November. This is not very old news

We knew he went to rehab but this time he nearly died several times.

Edit: I could not find any older source talking about this. Unless you have some other sources it was 'news' to a lot of people.  

Edited by Derek White

22 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

For a moment, i thought i was in a toxic video game forum or something, glad i was wrong, right?

5 hours ago, kieranperez said:

A truly conscious person in practice is able to really learn from Peterson and appreciate the fact that he’s actually very integrated person for his altitude of development given the amount of shadow work he’s clearly done. He highlights very big real problems of both Green and Blue. Those points are worth listening to. Those points are worth listening to. Take what is useful, toss the rest and have compassion for another human being that’s going through hell. The odds of people who are not in the public light, not to mention how much of the public light he’s under, to handle criticism as well has he has is so extraordinarily low it would baffle you. I highly suggest to forum users that it’s wise to really appreciate, learn, integrate, and the value all the different stages of development. 

Just giving this gem another chance to be read. I wholeheartedly agree.
The attitude towards Peterson that is enabled by administration of this forum is very unfortunate.

11 hours ago, Derek White said:

I believe that this is the case.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2