DefinitelyNotARobot

Reprogramming behavior using a mantra?

6 posts in this topic

TL;TR: Can I use mantras to heighten my awareness of insights that I've gained through meditation? Can reaffirming a mantra "rewire" the mind and it's behaviors?

----------------

So I've been doing mindfulness meditation for a couple of months now and I've had a few interesting insights since I started.

There are a few moments throughout the day where I have a pretty clear mind. These moments are beautiful!  I just lay back, look at stuff and enjoy the present moment as it is! Remember when you were a kid and everything looked new and exiting? Those moments feel just like that!

It feels like "I" am pure awareness which gives me better control of what I am aware of! On top of that "I" feel really connected to whatever I am aware of!

I was laying in bed the other day, listening to music, trying to get myself into a meditative state. Suddenly all of my awareness shifted to the music.  It felt like I had left my mind and my body and I had traveled to a realm where the song was all that existed! "I" was the musician. "I" was the song! After that I felt very connected to the musician. It was REALLY beautiful!

But these moments are just fleeting. I have a few of them and that's it. The problem is thinking. Listening to thought is a behavior that has been wired deeply into "my" mind. My mind likes to pay a lot of attention to thoughts. There is something about thought that attracts my mind. Meditation feels like unwiring my mind. Unwiring this automatic behavior. It makes me stop listening to thought!

When I am in this state I do have thoughts, but I just don't listen to them. I don't pay them any attention. This got me thinking.

Can I "rewire" my brain using a mantra? What would happen if I were to repeatedly reaffirm an insight for, let's say, 10 minutes each day?

Something like: "BE the awareness", "Be the ocean, not the wave" etc. 

I've always preferred doing mindfulness meditation. I don't have much experience with mantras. I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter!

beep boop

@DefinitelyNotARobot Yes it works.

Most people are stuck in negative thinking patterns when they start on the path. Meditation breaks the cycle, and provides some relief. But when they aren't meditating, usually the negative thinking continues in the background and so the person is creating their life, using thoughts, but they are thinking negatively and are unaware of the effects of the thoughts.

Starting positive thinking, like mantras and affirmations is good because it forces the mind to think positively, but eventually even affirmations will be dropped and the thinking will be brought in alignment so you are consciously thinking and creating your experience.

I was listening affirmations for multiple hours per day prior to my awakening experience. I liked one's about self love, confidence, etc. But it will vary from person to person.

@Raptorsin7 have u tried subliminals?  Does it work

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Harikrishnan I haven't tried them no. I want to start using over night affirmations more though, I think those are really effective.

I know @zeroISinfinity used affirmations when he sleeps, so maybe he can speak to this more.