mind_blown

Overcoming back pain

9 posts in this topic

Ever since I got hold on my first video games console ,my back started to slouch and I have bad posture ever since.

It wouldn't bother me that much if it's only a "body" problem but as I started meditating and so on I realized that my posture only seems to affect my mind in more ways than I can think of. Whenever I find myself in work or with other people I often lock my shoulders and neck unknowingly. This creates tension in my body and results in my anal behaviours.

I watched Leo's video on body awareness and it had opened up my mind to the possibility of a mind-body connection.

But what I feel is that this back pain that I have is almost like an addiction, it's my ego's Identity. I tried practicing body awareness now,but I feel like it's really REALLY hard to stay wake all the time. Some days I find myself slouching all day and even if I was able to be aware for moments here and there,it's not enough to address the issue. Also I remember Leo told in one of his videos that back pain is the result of me lying to myself,I have pondered this statement for months and I still don't understand why that is..

Sorry if this post is longer than it should be,I need some advice on this.

I have thoughts to avoid people all together only because my back pain will persist if I'm in an uncomfortable situation. (I'm introverted and prefer to be alone)

It can take awhile for your body to adjust to changing your posture. Try getting up periodically and doing some stretches that target the part of your back that is hurting. 

One is stuck in a bit of a jam here, you bealive it is the tension that is causing your behaviour, in truth the tension is just what it is, feeling sensation. What is really causing the issue is labeling the tension as bad, or harmful in some way. Tension cannot harm you. So then, connect with the aware part of yourself and observe the tension, and also observe any thoughts, images, and feelings that come up as a reaction to the tension. 

The mind and body are one. 

That is totally ok a lot of people find it really hard a the start, that is why most quit, but don't give up! Know you will get stronger from doing the practices. I bealive what Leo was trying to show you is that pain can be the result of disowned feelings, one can create space for these feelings threw meditation.

A good exercise for tension is deep breathing into the tension, as if you are expanding the space around it with ones breath. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

nothing better than going to see a certified Rolfing practitioner.

Look into myofascial release and Rossimer technique, will change your experience of being in a body.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

20 minutes ago, Rinne said:

@mind_blown Get rid of your soft bed and build you a hard solid wooden flat bed. 

the vast majority of Chinese people's beds are very stiff if not straight up hardwood sleeping surfaces. 

It's crazy.

But they tipically have good posture I've found.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

@OctagonOctopus I really can't help but notice the tension especially when I feel agitated or groggy , maybe I am labelling it as something else.

@Rinne Can't hurt to try...ok it can it's gonna hurt :D

@montecristo Thanks,i will check them out and lol I'm actually Chinese....can't say much about Chinese people having really good posture, cuz most of the people around me suck at it xD

Edited by mind_blown

59 minutes ago, montecristo said:

the vast majority of Chinese people's beds are very stiff if not straight up hardwood sleeping surfaces. 

It's crazy.

But they tipically have good posture I've found.

@montecristo@mind_blownI

I slept on my floor for 4 months due to serious back pain. Now i prefer it over my old bed, lol.

I need to revamp my bedroom ?

@mind_blown

Good, notice the tension, awareness is the first step. Trying not to notice it is the result of you labling it as negative, you don't want to notice it because you don't like it. Observe the agitation, what is it really? I think you will find that it is also just tension itself, tension connected to thought stories, and images. Tension is both emotional and physical, it is feelings in the body. When tension arises first acknowledge what it is, feeling, then breath into it giving the feeling space (Let the feeling expand to the rest of the body), and then refocus back on to the present moment. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.