Bill W

Emotional Sobriety - part 2 THE BIBLE

6 posts in this topic

This journal will focus on the Bible and how I'm using the Bible to help my mental health and personal development. The only other source material will be The Life Recovery Bible which links Alcoholics Anonymous material and principles with the Bible. 

My intention with the Bible is for it to act as a guide with the following;

• To get out of my own head more. Less time in SELF. 
  • With the above in mind, be more useful to others. Not to make me a good person, but to make me a more well person. 
  • To handle my resentments.
  • To try and keep the sense of entitlement lower and humility higher.
  • Deepen my relationship with God.
  • The Bible is a great fit for letting go and surrender work. It reads just like David Hawkins Letting Go to me. The Hawkins book being one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I spent most of my life thinking personal development was accruing things, accumulating things and getting things. I then came to believe that in fact, it is more a process of losing things, letting go, jettisoning, dumping, and removal. As the old programmes are removed, new programmes are automatically installed. 

My previous journal is here

This will be interesting to follow :)

I've found out-put to be crucial after being used to so much in-put of information my whole life. It makes me act more on my intentions and just a good stress reliever overall. 

Good luck ! :x 

Right here we go. 

We will start with James from the New Testament. It's one of the shorter books in the Bible at 1742 words. That means it's 45th out of the 66 books in terms of length. James is a brilliant book in that it conveys a strong message of action and behaviour change. This should suit us self-actualizers :)

Here is a link telling you a little bit more about this book of the Bible https://overviewbible.com/james/ 

What now follows are my favourite versus and what they mean to me in terms of my development. 

1:2-8 - My brothers and sisters, consider yourselves fortunate when all kinds of trials come your way, for you know that when your faith succeeds in facing such trials, the result is the ability to endure. Make sure that your endurance carries you all the way without failing, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. But if any of you lack wisdom, you should pray to God, who will give it to you; because God gives generously and graciously to all. But when you pray, you must believe and not doubt at all. Whoever doubts is like a wave in the sea that is driven and blown about by the wind. People like that, unable to make up their minds and undecided in all they do, must not think they will receive anything from the Lord.

Resilience and faith. I also see Law of Attraction and manifesting. 

1:19 - Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters! Everyone must be quick to listen, but slow to speak and slow to become angry.

To be truly present with someone. Not to react on impulse. Keep calm.

1:22 - Do not deceive yourselves by just listening to his word; instead, put it into practice. and 2:22 - Can’t you see? His faith and his actions worked together; his faith was made perfect through his actions.

Avoid obsessing. Avoid mental masturbation. Just do it. You are more your actions than you are your thoughts. 

3:7-10 - Human beings can tame and have tamed all other creatures – wild animals and birds, reptiles and fish. But no one has ever been able to tame the tongue. It is evil and uncontrollable, full of deadly poison. We use it to give thanks to our Lord and Father and also to curse other people, who are created in the likeness of God. Words of thanksgiving and cursing pour out of the same mouth. My brothers and sisters, this should not happen!

As Russell Brand would say, be kind and don't fuck anyone over. 

4:10 - Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Need I say more? Watch out for self-entitlement.

4:12 - God is the only lawgiver and judge. He alone can save and destroy. Who do you think you are, to judge someone else?

Work on yourself. Other people will do what they want to do. Also, don't be such a hypocrite. 

This is Philippians from the New Testament. It's one of the shorter books in the Bible at 1629 words. That means it's 47th out of the 66 books in terms of length. 

Here is a link telling you a little bit more about this book of the Bible https://overviewbible.com/philippians/ 

What now follows are my favourite versus and what they mean to me in terms of my development. 

2:4 - And look out for one another’s interests, and not just for your own.

This is a very important element of my Alcoholics Anonymous programme. What you give, comes back. Also, this helps to get you out of SELF and out of your own head. 

3:14 - Do everything without complaining or arguing.

A good prompt to help contemplate if you are dwelling or otherwise sitting in victim mode for longer than required.

4:6-7 - Don’t worry about anything, but in all your prayers ask God for what you need, always asking him with a thankful heart. And God’s peace, which is far beyond human understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with Christ Jesus.

Love this. If I read this with my heart I feel like God is literally giving me a cuddle and telling me everything is going to be okay.

4:8-9 - In conclusion, my brothers and sisters, fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honourable. Put into practice what you learnt and received from my words, and from my actions. And the God who gives us peace will be with you.

I read this before I pray or meditate. 

4:13 - I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me.

Resilience! 

2 minutes ago, Peter124 said:

@Bill W love this ? expand to all religions and collapse it. To explode it again.

Thanks Peter. I need to get back into the journal, been lazy with it. Thanks for this.