Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dlavjr

Are there remedies for hyperhidrosis?

11 posts in this topic

I've yet to talk to a dermatologist, but before I spend an arm and a leg on treatment, what are ways to combat excessive sweating? I suspect I have hyperhidrosis, because even during these winter months, I could be walking around in a muscle shirt and still be dripping with sweat under my arms and on my feet. I want to avoid surgery, I've tried prescribed deodorant but that's about it. The issue frustrates me and makes me very self conscious, walking around with giant pit stains during all types of climate. Any tips would be appreciated. 

have you had your thyroid investigated? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

have you had your thyroid investigated? 

I have, and I was told there was nothing out of the ordinary. 

1 hour ago, Dlavjr said:

I have, and I was told there was nothing out of the ordinary. 

Would be interesting to see what they tested. Doctor will often look at TSH but that alone does not tell you much. 

Other than that, there could be a cardiovascular thing going on, something with poor oxygenation (perhaps low iron?), for some reason your body might be getting rid of too much water. Very hard to guess without some testing. You could try working with a functional doctor and look into some tests. I'd defo avoid surgery before investigating further. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, DrewNows said:

@Dlavjr do ya take any stimulants regularly? 

No, closest thing to a stimulant I consume on a regular basis is caffiene 

1 hour ago, Dlavjr said:

No, closest thing to a stimulant I consume on a regular basis is caffiene 

That would be one, and whenever I experienced the same as what you describe, it’d been after caffeine dependency. Something you might want to test, as caffeine triggered sweating for me. I simply observed my body on days when I didn’t consume 

but not only this, many other symptoms began occurring at the time, constipation, feeling more thirsty than usual, peeing more frequently. All this due to taxing the liver and adrenals, having weak kidney filtration, resulting in systemic acidosis 

Edited by DrewNows

3 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

That would be one, and whenever I experienced the same as what you describe, it’d been after caffeine dependency. Something you might want to test, as caffeine triggered sweating for me. I simply observed my body on days when I didn’t consume 

Interesting, I'd not considered that, I'll give it a shot. I do notice I frequently sweat immediately when waking up before consuming any caffeine, however I might have more of a dependency than I realized, so I'll give it a shot regardless. 

Hi, I've struggled with excessive sweating since I was a teenager. There are different deodorants that you can try but I've never had much success with those. I recently tried Carpe but it sort of irritated my skin. I've learned what clothes/ materials are most comfortable and won't show pit stains (nothing to tight, black, layering shirts). I'm female, so I don't wear anything without sleeves or tank tops. There are shirts that have underarm protection. I've also seen absorbent pads that you can put on your shirt to block sweat.  I believe that mine is hereditary and also exacerbated by social anxiety. So when in public, I practice slowing down my breathing, being mindful, etc.  Also, check your medications that you are on now. There are different meds that can cause excessive sweating as a side effect.  

As far as what can be done medically- botox injections in the underarm area or where you need it can stop sweating for a period of time. 

I envy those who don't have this problem. For me the worst is being interviewed, talking with someone I don't know, dating, being in humid/hot climates. If you discover a cure, let me know! 

On 2/13/2020 at 1:18 AM, wens16 said:

Hi, I've struggled with excessive sweating since I was a teenager. There are different deodorants that you can try but I've never had much success with those. I recently tried Carpe but it sort of irritated my skin. I've learned what clothes/ materials are most comfortable and won't show pit stains (nothing to tight, black, layering shirts). I'm female, so I don't wear anything without sleeves or tank tops. There are shirts that have underarm protection. I've also seen absorbent pads that you can put on your shirt to block sweat.  I believe that mine is hereditary and also exacerbated by social anxiety. So when in public, I practice slowing down my breathing, being mindful, etc.  Also, check your medications that you are on now. There are different meds that can cause excessive sweating as a side effect.  

As far as what can be done medically- botox injections in the underarm area or where you need it can stop sweating for a period of time. 

I envy those who don't have this problem. For me the worst is being interviewed, talking with someone I don't know, dating, being in humid/hot climates. If you discover a cure, let me know! 

It's nice to hear someone else who can relate. I've tried the special deodorants, even had one prescribed, and it didn't help. I'm not on any medications at all, and I definitely feel that anxiety makes it worse. It's a paradox because I get so anxious about having the stains show that it makes me sweat, but even when I try to keep my mind off the thought and stay present and calm, I still end up looking like I just got out of the gym. During the summer all I'm comfortable wearing is sleeveless shirts. 

I'd love to know how it feels to be able to put any shirt on and not feel like I'm just gonna ruin it with sweat stains. The tiniest bit of heat will trigger it, even hot foods/drinks. I plan on consulting a dermatologist soon, I'll report back to this thread if I find a solution that works. 

I've heard of the Botox you can do, I've also heard of the wipes and apparently there are pills that can work as well. Unfortunately for me the sweat isn't exclusively happening in my armpits, my feet get sweaty as well as my forehead, and the forehead sweat triggers acne, which is another problem I need to tend to.