d0ornokey

Is oily hair actually a bad thing?

15 posts in this topic

Or did shampoo companies sell us that it was a bad thing to sell us products? Does anyone have any insight on this 

Checkout a holistic nutrition store. I bought a holistic conditioner. I have a predisposition to dandruff. I have head and shoulders but, I only use it sparingly. Dandruff kills hair. Poor scalp health kills hair. The conditioner I use has essential oils like rosemary. I also have a rosemary scalp massage. I eat well. I choose leafy greens. I do shakes. I lift. Note, too much shampoo and chemicals will ruin scalp health. 

No, it is a very natural thing although not socially accepted.

Most cosmetic products cause excessive sebum production on the scalp because they are irritating to the skin. If you started to use fewer shampoos, over time the oil production would decline. In nature there are no such things as deodorants, shampoos and body-odour shaming...but these days you cannot coexist with other human being this way so going for the most natural alternative, ideally made of essential oils is probably a good idea. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Most shampoo is just a big cocktail of chemicals. "natural" ones are usually using oils that just trap oils in your skin and cause acne. I have not used any in months and I barely have any acne at all, but I would say most of that is from eating a clean diet. I shower everyday and the oil goes away after about month of skipping on those products. I could see more if you are female though you might have quite a difficult time with longer hair doing that. But I am sure there is some way around it. 

Deodorant can be pretty bad too in terms of heavy metals and chemicals. I have skipped on that as well, but will be using a himalayan salt bar to help avoid any smell if I go around other people. You can also wipe off your armpits with a wet towel. It is a natural process your body uses to detoxify and I really cannot imagine clogging it up with heavy metals and chemicals could be good for you. 

I don't think those products are really needed at all. Shampoo has almost no effect. The deodorant just covers a natural smell that you could tone down with some salt without adding a ton of crap to your body. 

yup we can work with nature or against. Society teaches us to work against and protect ourselves from it. Unfortunately this has consequences. I prefer not to put anything on my skin or hair that i wouldnt eat, to me this is literally like flushing things down your toilet that will cause the pipes to clog. You are the pipes and if you're sensitive enough, most shampoos might even cause an outbreak. Although i still use some natural deodorant and occasionally conditioner, i don't experience any oily hair problems unless eating poorly, and detoxing/sweating a lot

Speaking as someone with naturally oily hair due to genetics, what would be a good product to use? I tend to wash my hair often in fear of it getting oily and causing and outbreak, but I fear that washing it so often is in turn damaging my hair. What's recommended for product and frequency of use? 

@Dlavjr Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice are good natural alternatives 

could try gradually reducing washing to once every week or two. It takes up to a month I hear for the scalp to adjust the amount of oil it produces naturally 

I made the sacrifice but now it’s great because I have long curly hair I wash with only water

This is a timely topic for me. I've started going off commercial shampoos and trying out some homemade ones. But I find it very difficult to get rid of oil from my hair. I massage my hair with oil on a weekly basis and I find it is very good for hair health. But without shampoo, I find it difficult to get the oil out at one go. I'm trying out soap nuts and gram flour to reduce the oil, but it is still not very effective. Will try ACV and lemon, not sure if it is good on the hair with the acidic content. 

Yogurt works as an excellent conditioner though.

@rNOW I wouldn’t think of it as getting rid of the oil but allowing your body/scalp to change, which can take up to a month without using the oil triggering products 

From where i am coming people here used to put coconut oil in there hair and body before taking bath everyday. On some days we washed our hair with  Hibiscus rosa-sinensis leaves by rubbing the leaves on stone and taking its pulp(as shampoo) this i think is a good alternative for shampoo. I dont know whether its in ayurveda or its from old old grannies groom book.

B/w i have seen in one video u can use Acv under arm instead of deo.

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Does anyone know how to get shiny hair (Black) naturally? 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I had oily scalp in the past. I used to wash my hair twice a day, and this is a vicious circle. Washing the head with high lime -chlorinated water dries the scalp and it produces more oil to overcompensate.

21 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

Does anyone know how to get shiny hair (Black) naturally? 

He Shou Wu 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, DrewNows said:

@Dlavjr Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice are good natural alternatives 

could try gradually reducing washing to once every week or two. It takes up to a month I hear for the scalp to adjust the amount of oil it produces naturally 

I made the sacrifice but now it’s great because I have long curly hair I wash with only water

My hair is pretty thin, idk if that makes any sort of difference. I read up on the lemon oil being good for stimulating hair growth which would be great if that's true because I've lost a lot of my hair. 

How often would I want to do this? Also, would it also condition my hair or would I have to use a conditioner? I want to move away from chemical products, I've been slowly decreasing how often I wash my hair but with how naturally oily it gets and the fact that it's thin so the oil is more prominent is discouraging. 

53 minutes ago, Dlavjr said:

My hair is pretty thin, idk if that makes any sort of difference. I read up on the lemon oil being good for stimulating hair growth which would be great if that's true because I've lost a lot of my hair. 

the herb i mentioned above is good too, according to that video. 

54 minutes ago, Dlavjr said:

How often would I want to do this? Also, would it also condition my hair or would I have to use a conditioner? I want to move away from chemical products, I've been slowly decreasing how often I wash my hair but with how naturally oily it gets and the fact that it's thin so the oil is more prominent is discouraging. 

use the ACV and lemon juice as conditioner every once in a while, use water normally, there's no avoiding that awkward phase but there's another option: the Morroccan Method https://shop.morroccomethod.com/?fbclid=IwAR3VolL5cM7L91UDLt-WIJpPWouWWEhiEYG0aP6Z2mN2bCEBalVt6Aa3zCs