exhale

Waldorf Schools

6 posts in this topic

I am looking at local school options for my child (going into kindergarten).  

There is a local Waldorf school.  In general, I had a really great vibe from this school as being warm and inviting.  Also, they seem to focus on creativity, open-mindedness, character development and developing community in their mandate.  

Though, there is some mystery and peculiar concepts in their pedagogue and history.  They are very into mythology, and (according to their wikipedia page) believe in gnomes, and have a philosophy that children shouldn't read until their adult teeth erupt.  None of these peculiar items were discussed at the open house.  

Does anyone have experience they would share about Waldorf Schools?  Recognizing that they are all a little bit different, but I want to make sure I am not being misled and am placing my child into a good learning environment.  

Thanks

I have some friends who went to a Waldorf school. Never heard of anything like what you say about weird dogma. From what I am aware of, they let children be children and don't pressure them into having to fulfill and keep up with a specific curriculum too early and instead let them develop and find themselves during those crucial years.

Rudolf Steiner was great. Leo mentioned him once as stage turquoise. Though the schools as they are today are certainly and solidly green. Much better than a public school with all the stress and turmoil that pressuring kids to be a specific way will cause them.

Be cautious though with this specific school as I suspect they probably vary in quality and ideology.
You said you got a pretty good vibe though so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think your kids will thank you for putting them in a Waldorf.

I hope you will make the right decision :)

I imagine there is a range of quality from school to school, yet the foundations of Waldorf pedagogy has it's advantages over traditional schools. 

-- The curriculum is diverse and balanced. Creative, intellectual and spiritual. 

-- There is attention paid to the unique learning styles and abilities of each child. For example, a child may show an aptitude for abstract thinking. This would be encouraged, rather than discouraged.

-- It is not hyper competitive with standardized exams. Students are not constantly compared to other students. Their value is not based on their place on a competitive grade hierarchy. Rather, an emphasis is placed on inner enthusiasm for learning. 

-- Rather than memorization, students are taught to be creative and critical, independent thinkers.  

-- It is highly integrative and develops minds that can see inter-connections. A mind that can assimilate information and to develop and apply it. This opens a path toward yellow-level creativity and thinking. 

Overall, it's like a liberal arts college for kids. 

I appreciate your input @loub @Serotoninluv

There is always some apprehension that we would be doing a disservice to our kids, in that they would not thrive in a university situation (if that was the path they chose) due to the lack of conventional "grooming".  

9 minutes ago, exhale said:

I appreciate your input @loub @Serotoninluv

There is always some apprehension that we would be doing a disservice to our kids, in that they would not thrive in a university situation (if that was the path they chose) due to the lack of conventional "grooming".  

I teach in a liberal arts college. Waldorf kids would do well in this environment. I agree that many University environments may favor grooming, but not all. And many Universities have honors colleges with low teacher : student ratios. 
Have you considered an IB program? Those kids come prepared for college. Even moreso than AP students.

@exhale  that's a fair concern. I have looked into it and it seems that at least in Germany Waldorf students tend to do well in an university setting. But that statistic might be a bit skewed due to Waldorf students usually coming from educated/high income households that can support them well in their education.
I'm sure you can come up with an inventive compromise where you prepare them for the pressure to conform and achieve while simultaneously sparing them of their damning reality.
Also consider the disservice you might do to them by not sending them to a Waldorf.

Hope I was of some help with your decision making. Either way they will be alright since at least one of their parents is on this forum. :)

Have a good day.