Roy

Alex Honnold and his laser-like focus on his life purpose.

10 posts in this topic

I'm sure some of you have heard of Alex Honnold, professional rock-climber and the greatest free soloist of all time (climbing without any gear). Anyways for quite a long time he's served as a huge inspiration for me, and I'm sure he could for many others on here. I wanted to share his life as an example of someone who is fiercely committed to the mastery process and has superhuman levels of dedication to his life purpose. A few years back he accomplished what is likely the most impressive and difficult athletic feat in human history; Free climbed Yosemite's El Capitan (3000 ft) rock face without a rope. There is plenty of footage of it and other climbs he did (which I will link below), it's best summed up in the documentary Free Solo, which I highly recommend. I've seen it twice already and will watch it again I'm sure. It's out on Disney plus and some other platforms I believe. It will make you sweat.

There isn't really anything extraordinary about him honestly. He humbly attributes his ability and accomplishments to ridiculous levels of practice, preparation, and passion to his craft. What I also find fascinating is his attitude towards fear. He still feels it like anyone else would. Instead of punching through it or trying to change what he's feeling, he describes his ability to manage it by simply "stepping out of it", which is done by being rigorous with his training and planning until he feels so comfortable that he can put it aside until he's done what he's set out in front of him.

Here is an INCREDIBLE video with him reflecting on the climb that was the centre of his life purpose;

(It has 360 function, click and drag your mouse around to view his surroundings)

I hope his example gives other people on here a kick like it did for me. It's amazing seeing such a quiet, normal, quirky guy just unapologetic-ally throwing himself towards his goals no matter what the risks. He is living EXACTLY the way he wants to and we should do the same!

hrhrhtewgfegege

Nobody find this mind blowing? Whoa, I need to raise my standards I guess lol.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Took me a while to realize that was a 360 video haha. That is seriously inspiring for sure, thanks for sharing. 

Alex Honnold is why I got into rock climbing a couple years back. It’s hard to truly appreciate this AMAZING feat of free soloing El Cap unless you’re a climber. 

I study human biomechanics for a living and am therefore very well versed in athletics/sport performance. I can say with great confidence that Alex’s free soloing the nose is the greatest feat of physical human performance I’ve ever seen.

Of course I’m also biased because I’m a climber but I agree, it is truly amazing how committed he is to his life purpose.

Hopefully more people will see this and watch Free Solo. Thx for posting(:

The game of survival cannot be won. 

"Pewwwwwww"

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 1/31/2020 at 4:44 PM, Roy said:

There isn't really anything extraordinary about him honestly. He humbly attributes his ability and accomplishments to ridiculous levels of practice, preparation, and passion to his craft. What I also find fascinating is his attitude towards fear. He still feels it like anyone else would. Instead of punching through it or trying to change what he's feeling, he describes his ability to manage it by simply "stepping out of it", which is done by being rigorous with his training and planning until he feels so comfortable that he can put it aside until he's done what he's set out in front of him.

Talented people (in sports) tend to take their talent for granted. 

If LeBron James was a 5'7" Jewish white dude, I don't care how hard he works, he ain't gonna be even in the D-League, much less the NBA. 

Talent and rigorous training.

Some sports are more skill oriented than others, which in some ways levels the playing field, in other cases, it doesn't. 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, Soulbass said:

@Roy Hey, climber here.

Oh yea? What do you think about Alex? What has your climbing journey been like? I haven't done much myself, went when I was younger a bit and recently once or twice to an indoor gym. REALLY hard to find good climbing around here (I'm in Northern Ontario).

Girlfriend and I are moving out to Vancouver Island by the end of the year though so there will be plenty of mountains and climbing opportunities in the future!

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy i think alex is an ufo, both performance and personality wise.

he seems sad and depressed, in this movie imo.

i'm not climbing much these days, used to do more in the past (bouldering).

i got sick of it after 6 years, and switched to running.

i'll let you know if i go to vancouver one day, i'm in montreal.

Edited by Soulbass

Free Solo is a great movie, would highly recommend. 

"That which the world calls day is the night of ignorance to the wise." - Bhagavad Gita

Becoming Conscious