StarStruck

IT Consultant versus Software Developer

18 posts in this topic

I’m stuck between these two options. I’m  gravitating towards a bachelor in IT consultancy because it is a more social job and less stressful. I think I will be more happy with that. Also I can always get my certificates in programming and exp on the side. I thought myself Java and it was exciting but I did get stressed out that some stuff didn’t work out at once. I think the safe option for me is It consultancy and then doing programming on the side. What do you guys think?

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck I study computer science and want to get into web development. I think it’s great because I can work on my creativity through design, I can work on my cognitive abilities through coding (also in order not to feel stressed with bugs on your code you must be calm, patient, you must have good communication skills etc. those are things that I can work on that can improve my life on every area, not only professional), and social skills through working with a team. You must work on your endurance and perseverance, as coding takes time to learn. You must also always keep your brain healthy, so exercise and healthy diet is essential, also emotional intelligence is a must not to freak out with the softwares. Also, this kind of jobs are great for working for something that’s bigger than yourself, being part of something bigger than yourself. Say someone has an idea of a great business or something, you will be the actual person that will help bring that idea to life.

just telling u a bit about my career choice

Also it’s amazing to see how solutions to problems usually will pop up in my head naturally as though sent to me by god. It’s quite remarkable actually

@blankisomeone Those are the same exact reasons for why I chose to be a software developer too.

@StarStruck

I thought myself Java and it was exciting but I did get stressed out that some stuff didn’t work out at once.

Yeah, there will be lots of time when things won't work out at once. That's why being a software developer can sometimes be stressful. But you learn the most during those periods. 

@StarStruck I really would re-evaluate whether you see consulting really as less stressful than software engineering. It depends on the agency, but some of them will buy your soul... It is more social, that is correct, so if you like working with and being around people that would be a better fit. However, I doubt, that you can become a reasonably good developer "on the side", especially if you now leaning towards doing consulting work.  

Edited by GrowthPilgrim

1 hour ago, GrowthPilgrim said:

@StarStruck I really would re-evaluate whether you see consulting really as less stressful than software engineering. It depends on the agency, but some of them will buy your soul... It is more social, that is correct, so if you like working with and being around people that would be a better fit. However, I doubt, that you can become a reasonably good developer "on the side", especially if you now leaning towards doing consulting work.  

Thanks for the heads up. Becoming a good software developer is long term project for me. Like on a 10-15 years plan. I also see it as a hobby. Some people say I'm wasting my time because as an IT consultant I won't need software developing skills. There is probably some truth in that but it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge about programming. By the way, I picked IT consultancy. I'm two months into my study. From what I hear from students who chose software development is that their workload is much more intenser. I can't talk about what is more or less stressful once you graduate and start working.

In Tate we trust

@Chumbimba thanks for the recognition, how are you doing?

On 1/30/2020 at 3:28 PM, StarStruck said:

I’m stuck between these two options. I’m  gravitating towards a bachelor in IT consultancy because it is a more social job and less stressful. I think I will be more happy with that. Also I can always get my certificates in programming and exp on the side. I thought myself Java and it was exciting but I did get stressed out that some stuff didn’t work out at once. I think the safe option for me is It consultancy and then doing programming on the side. What do you guys think?

Let me answer that from my perspective as a software developer (and with colleagues who are consultants)

• one can be as stressful as the other
  • you experience lots of time where you feel stupid and nothing works in both area
  • consultants tend to be more social, but don't trick yourself: you are dealing thing shy unsocial programmers, the customer and a generally a shit ton of people ==> that's hard work and you are constantly fighting to get your work recognitioned

But you are right that you can learn programming afterwards. I would say it is a subjective decision. But here in Europe you don't need even a degree to get a okay job, and then you can work your way up to 40, 50, 60 or more thousand a year. I don't know what it is like in us-america

Edited by supremeyingyang

38 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

@Chumbimba thanks for the recognition, how are you doing?

Let me answer that from my perspective as a software developer (and with colleagues who are consultants)

• one can be as stressful as the other
  • you experience lots of time where you feel stupid and nothing works in both area
  • consultants tend to be more social, but don't trick yourself: you are dealing thing shy unsocial programmers, the customer and a generally a shit ton of people ==> that's hard work and you are constantly fighting to get your work recognitioned

But you are right that you can learn programming afterwards. I would say it is a subjective decision. But here in Europe you don't need even a degree to get a okay job, and then you can work your way up to 40, 50, 60 or more thousand a year. I don't know what it is like in us-america

Perhaps you already read it in this thread but I picked IT consultancy. I want to specialize myself in the broader field of IT and business. Programming is part of this "big picture" understanding of IT. The reason why I want to learn programming on the side is to differentiate myself and get insights which will be useful when talking about it and writing about it. Also if I have the basics down of programming (in 10-15 year life span), it will be easier to switch over to programming(if I chose so). And you are right, skills and exp in programming is more important than a degree, but it is a pro to have an IT related background. This is my game plan.

In Tate we trust

@EdwardBaker

You need to find a strategic intent if you haven't already. The Question is not if A or B is 'generally' better but what will A or B lead to for you.. Will it bring you towards your strategic intent?

If you don't really know your strategic Intent or you only know roughly what you want I would recommend using my simple Formula for choosing which career you want: Choose the Career Path which is obligatory to the Business and the skills are harder to develop and maintain. It's also nice if you find a Path that is obligatory and hard but people don't want to do it because it's not 'sexy'. That could be a nice Niche.. You will likely have less competition and a higher pay and more to say.

@supremeyingyang To be honest, I already made my choice. Programming is not my thing. I tried it out for months. I thought myself Java and it didn't gave me satisfaction. Especially debugging is a pain in the ass. I'm already a stressful person and I have my own problems so it doesn't seem programming is a fit for me.

I want to be a IT consultant. Keeping up with the latest IT news, writing reports, giving advice, leading projects is more my thing. I'm not sure what kind strategic objectives I can set. There aren't any hard skills you need to be an IT consultant:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-skills-needed-to-work-as-a-Tech-consultant

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck

Do what you want:) I see programming as a Tool to get Things done so I get paid. People romanticize it too much. So no need for you to be sorry

The same Problems will be popping up in the Consulting Career. Both are rather competitive and high stress. Thats no problem for you per se, but you need to get used to it. After I read 'Antifragile' from Nicolas Taleb i got a better understanding how stress beyond what im used to actually helps me to improve (up to a point)

@supremeyingyang I will look into antifragile. Thanks for the advice.

I rather do something and experience a little stress than do a profession with no stress but also no satisfaction.

And I think you are right. I think most programmers totally love their job. They do it to get paid. You really have to be a special person to love programming.

In Tate we trust

I'm a web delevoper (Mainly back-end, PHP, JS) and one of my acquaintances is a system administrator and another one is a support/consultant.

I do it because I like to, and I choose programming over anything else because I love programming, loved since ~ 12 years old, started with creating simple flash games. I'm also looking forward to become a freelancer and who knows maybe even opening up my own company one day.

Anyway, If you already are more keen to IT Consultant - go for it.

On 2020.01.30. at 4:28 PM, StarStruck said:

I think the safe option for me is It consultancy and then doing programming on the side

I'd recommend choosing that one and going all in on it, not lingering between consultant and a developer, I think you won't really achieve greatness in any of them until you choose that one thing.

You mentioned stress - a developers job can be as stressfull as consultants job, it all depends on the company, environment and how you handle stress.

Edited by meow_meow