Gneh Onebar

Psychics: real vs. fake

81 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura I'm a graduate student in computer science. You won't believe how many bullshitters exist in academia. I've read papers that are utter and total garbage, yet they have gotten into reputed conferences (such as ACM-CCS) solely due to the fact that the reviewers are bullshitters themselves.

I've also seen 'researchers' who cleverly mask their total non-contribution behind flowery curtains of mathematical jargon in their paper. For example, I saw one dude use the 'co-product' notation and weird non-conventional Greek symbols in places where they could simply used an x, y, or alpha. I methodically spent days unraveling these curtains only to find a steaming pile of shit on the other side.

Release me.

@John Doe That's the tip of the iceberg.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Scientists tell psychics are not real, because they don't fit within the rules themselves have established as the only valid ones. Now, I'm not saying science is not good or anything like that, thanks science for so much. I'm just saying you shouldn't use a Chinese language book to say Spanish can't be comprehended, even worse, to say it's totally nonsense or invalid.

Are some psychics fakers? I guess. Are some better than others? I think so. I've seen people guessing stuff about me, totally non scientifically. But I don't think anyone should expect to get the lotery numbers or anything like that as a prove. You can play that same game putting very high standards to science and then saying it's not valid as a whole.

The day someone can reliably prove that magic exists, I will believe there are real psychics. 

It's funny how each time someone says that science has often tested these so called paranormal phenomena and always found a rational explanation, defenders of the paranormal start to attack science as a whole, saying how the experiment was biased and flawed. 

I believe we're sensible creatures and things like intuition, etc., don't seem fake or woo woo to me. But these things can be explained from the scientific POV. That's actually how psychics often say the right thing, because they're good at reading non verbal clues. No need to believe in Santa Claus. 

Also, don't forget about confirmation bias. If I think I have telepathic powers and get one thing right and 5 wrong, I will only focus on the right one and dismiss what proves me wrong. It's basic psychology. 

I'd love to hear some convincing argument in favor of the paranormal, not just critiques of the scientific method. 

11 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

It's funny how each time someone says that science has often tested these so called paranormal phenomena and always found a rational explanation, defenders of the paranormal start to attack science as a whole, saying how the experiment was biased and flawed. 

No, you have it precisely backwards.

Serious statistical studies have been conducted many times on paranormal phenomena by serious researchers, and the result is always the same: paranormal phenomena is proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

But you have not read these studies because they are rejected by gatekeepers of academia because in their paradigm the paranormal is impossible so all research which proves it must be false.

Science itself has proven the paranormal. This fact is simply denied and not advertized to you, so you don't know about it.

The problem here is that you speak surely of things you have not actually researched nor contemplated nor experienced. You are just spreading dogma without knowing what you are doing. You feel so certain, but you are actually wrong and you are too lazy and incurious to check that you are wrong.

So here we are.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I will be explaining the epistemic limitations and errors of science in a future series of videos.

still waiting for the "how to get hot witch girlfriend " video ...:|

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Serious statistical studies have been conducted many times on paranormal phenomena by serious researchers, and the result is always the same: paranormal phenomena is proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

But you have not read these studies because they are rejected by gatekeepers of academia because in their paradigm the paranormal is impossible so all research which proves it must be false.

I'm very interested in these studies. Would you mind sharing them?
We could make another mega-thread like this to gather resources.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

1 minute ago, Michael569 said:

still waiting for the "how to get hot witch girlfriend " video ...:|

Try Yelp ;)

5 minutes ago, tsuki said:

I'm very interested in these studies. Would you mind sharing them?
We could make another mega-thread like this to gather resources.

Books available on my book list in the paranormal section.

Note, I am not going to do the work to prove anything to you.

If you want to know what is true you will have to do all that investigating yourself. I am merely here to point your nose in the right direction if you are serious. But since most people here are not serious, I will not waste my time.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

I am not going to do the work to prove anything to you.

I was not being sarcastic, I just thought you have them collected (and you do, as it turns out).

Thanks.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

7 minutes ago, tsuki said:

I was not being sarcastic.

I did not assume you were.

I am merely communicating to you guys that you are lazy. You do not really care about truth. You are here dicking around.

Truth is a serious pursuit and it's clear simply by one's attitude who is serious about it and who is not.

This is extremely advanced work we are doing, yet many of you treat it so sloppily. As if this is some CNN debate panel where one can just spew bullshit and opinions with impungity.

You want to understand psychics? Go read 20 books written by psychics. Then let's talk. Show me you're serious.

48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Science itself has proven the paranormal. This fact is simply denied and not advertized to you, so you don't know about it.

What is the reason behind the attachment to materialism? I don’t understand why bias in academia is so strong if there’s evidence to the contrary? What’s the psychological mechanism behind this?

47 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

No, you have it precisely backwards.

The problem here is that you speak surely of things you have not actually researched nor contemplated nor experienced. You are just spreading dogma without knowing what you are doing. You feel so certain, but you are actually wrong and you are too lazy and incurious to check that you are wrong.

So here we are.

Why the name calling? I thought your ego would be a little more controlled by now lol. I'd be happy to read those studies. As I said, I would really like to be surprised and see that paranormal phenomena are actually real. It would make life even more interesting. Can you point at least to one scientist/author who has written about this? 

1 hour ago, Farnaby said:

Why the name calling? I thought your ego would be a little more controlled by now lol. I'd be happy to read those studies. As I said, I would really like to be surprised and see that paranormal phenomena are actually real. It would make life even more interesting. Can you point at least to one scientist/author who has written about this? 

Here you go: http://www.deanradin.org/.

Edited by Gneh Onebar

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

1 hour ago, Joel3102 said:

What is the reason behind the attachment to materialism? I don’t understand why bias in academia is so strong if there’s evidence to the contrary? What’s the psychological mechanism behind this?

Because the Truth is too radical.  That's why most physicists today do not wanna face the epistemological and philosophical ramifications of quantum physics - which debunked materialism long ago.   So they choose to look the other way.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 minute ago, Inliytened1 said:

Because the Truth is too radical.  That's why most physicists today do not wanna face the epistemological and philosophical ramifications of quantum physics - which debunked materialism long ago.   So they choose to look the other way.

These are big claims. I would love to see the citations or supporting evidence for your statements.

It would be great if you could contact a leading quantum physicist and tell him how you see the world.

Or write a paper on the topic explaining your view and submit it for peer-review.

Other people in the field will review your work, test your hypotheses and comment on it.

@Stakres check out "Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution" by Dr. Richard Wolfson - its a course available from the Teaching Company (The Great Courses).  He is a solar physicist and he mentions this very thing.  Ill find the exact lecture later and send it to you.   So that's coming from a highly respected physicist and professor.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Farnaby - try experiencing the paranormal for yourself with complete open mindedness. Discovering truth isn’t about proving or disproving. It’s about discovering what is; the vastness of reality with no judgement. Science is not an end in itself. It’s a tool we can use to find out what’s out there, to learn more about the nature of reality. Best wishes. 

@Cykaaaa Awesome, thank you!