Thought Art

Spiral Dynamics: Concerning Our Individual Interpretations

5 posts in this topic

So, recently on forums and Youtube comment sections I've noticed people presumptuously labelling other commenters stages of development. For example, I had a fellow who was positive because we didn't see eye to eye on the relativity of science (Me suggesting it was relative, and him... well I'm not sure) call me stage blue! ahaha

I am noticing the problem with all these complex models, metaphysics, epistemologies, world-views, paradigms, spiral stages... meet that the variances of our own individual understandings easily leads to some sort of corruption.  I am not convinced I understand spiral dynamics, though it seems rather intuitive to me. I still have much to learn as well.

The idea of this thread is to discuss the problem of our own/ what we have observed of other's relative understandings, bias's, ignorances, blind spots, mistakes, misinterpretations of spiral dynamics, or other models in personal development/ social sciences. 

-What Stories do you have?

-What questions do you have?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I used to frame people easily in the first couple of months knowing the model (beginning of 2019).

Today I am much more careful. It is much tricky than we think.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

The world is full of people destroying it but doing so in the name of peace love and safety.  No guru truly helped another person not from a fundamental standpoint that is. All these concepts and rituals /practices just stroke the ego and make us satisfied temporarily but that's about all they do.

It takes a lot of study and practice and inner work to reach a point where you can apply Spiral Dynamics accurately.

It is not a simple model, which is why it's so good.

And it takes an even deeper understanding of epistemology and consciousness work to realize when to let go of Spiral Dynamics, or as I like to say, how to "hold a model loosely".

You have to be able to use a model and be able to let it go on a dime. This is part of the epistemological work. All models are limited by definition and you have to develop such flexibility of mind that you can jump from one model to another the way a professional photographer switches lenses. And then you have to be able to "shoot raw", without any lenses at all.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

In my opinion, it's hard to apply SD properly and objectively(according to the model itself) if you're not developed enough. I introduced a friend to Spiral Dynamics(he's mainly mixture of blue and orange) and briefly explained what every stage entails. After he had a basic understanding of the model, he immediately stated that he's yellow and turquoise. I didn't contradict him, but I began giving more details about these stages so it would become obvious to him that he's not that high. It didn't work. He's Christian, and he said that because he's a devoted Christian he's turquoise. Even I had fantasies of how yellow I am, when in reality I'm just a mixture of orange and green. 

Another mistake I've noticed with beginners(myself included) is that we try to assert SD in fields where there are little to none practical implications and use it to justify our personal tastes and opinions as being of "higher consciousness". Yeah, you could say that a certain music genre is usually listened to by a certain stage, but that's too black and white. If you think about it, heavy metal(or any other music genre) can be red, blue and all the way to turquoise, depending on the themes in the song, how the song is composed and how the artist thinks. It's relative. Therefore, if you're listening to classical music, it doesn't necessarily mean you're higher on the SD scale cough cough. 

I still have to buy all of the SD books and do more contemplation in order to understand and apply the model properly. All the knowledge I have about the model comes from Leo and a few articles online, and that's good enough as long as I don't get ahead of myself.