King Merk

Kobe Bryant is Dead

70 posts in this topic

One of the greatest athletes to ever walk this earth died this morning in a tragic helicopter accident. What’s worse is his 13 year old daughter was in the helicopter with him.

I think this is an excellent time for us all to remember that we’re promised nothing outside of this very moment.

Think of your death and think of it often. It could come in 5 years or 5 minutes. One things for sure though, it’s coming. 

Rip to a man much larger than the game of basketball. Kobe Bean Bryant? 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

It gives a sense of perspective that's for sure. I just wish the perspective would stick as it's a wake up call that life can be short and over at any time.

5 minutes ago, King Merk said:

Think of your death and think of it often

I'm not sure thinking of your death and thinking about it often will get us anywhere though. I like the rest of your post. 

Does this signify the decline of basketball and the rise of esports? Just wondering

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

Makes me contemplate the experience he and his daughter were having together before impact and the life to death transition. Makes me wonder about his souls journey, the mastery he achieved at the sport and the impact he had on culture, yet dying so young in a tragic way.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

1 hour ago, Bill W said:

I'm not sure thinking of your death and thinking about it often will get us anywhere though. I like the rest of your post. 

"To begin depriving death of it's greatest advantage over us, let us adopt a way clean contrary to that common one; let us deprive death of it's strangeness, let us frequent it, let us get used to it; let us have nothing more often in mind than death. We do not know where death awaits us: so let us wait for it everywhere. To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave." -Michel de Montaigne

Remember, you must die <3 

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

The end of the illusion that there was 'Kobe'.

The illusion is still going strong in the minds of his millions of fans ;) 

Just now, King Merk said:

in the minds

That's the key right there. Because in this mind, Kobe is almost non-existent ;)

1 hour ago, Thewritersunion said:

Does this signify the decline of basketball and the rise of esports? Just wondering

In my opinion, no. Not at all.

Esports is definitely on the rise but so is the NBA. Especially in the US and China. 

Another painful reminder of how fragile one's existence is, and how sudden and impersonal death can be.

His determination, work ethic, and mental resilience will always provide great inspiration for me.

hrhrhtewgfegege

1 hour ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Makes me contemplate the experience he and his daughter were having together before impact and the life to death transition. Makes me wonder about his souls journey, the mastery he achieved at the sport and the impact he had on culture, yet dying so young in a tragic way.

What an interesting experience that must be. The seconds before imminent death...

I like to think as Kobe was holding his daughter tightly in his arms, seconds before the downward twirling helicopter morphed into a fireball as it smashed into the hillside, that he became enlightened.

That his sense of self expanded beyond the superstar that is "Kobe Bryant" and enveloped his daughter and the 7 others in the helicopter. As well as the helicopter itself and the rest of reality. That in those split seconds, Kobe realize his God self and became infinite as he transitioned out of the human realm.

But who knows  

Edited by King Merk

I felt lots of grief when this happened and cried.  Basketball has been a huge part of my life.

Watching him and others play basketball on youtube and tv has been a huge therapy for me and, I'm sure, millions of others.  Seeing the excellence, skill, competitiveness, and passion with which he played the game was therapy.  Was Beauty.  

He had such an impact on many people's lives.  

His competitiveness was off the charts.  His work ethic (from what I hear).  His skill.  

He inspired many a person to shout-out "Kobe!" while throwing pieces of trash in garbage cans around the world :) .

His image and legacy lives on in our minds.

Love

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 Exactly the same for me, used to watch him every day after school when i was a young. Then later on I became more interested in his philosophy of mastery. I feel like I've lost a best friend and a mentor. ?

But I celebrate his death for what he did, he inspired me enough for a lifetime in his 41 years.

He and his daughter are liberated now. 

Ugh...

I have always hated helicopters. They are too gimmicky. Could fall out of the sky at any moment.

Quite tragic. He will go down as one of the greats.

Note to all aspiring rich people: when you get rich, don't buy a helicopter.

But I guess lots of people die in cars too. But in a helicopter if that engine goes out, you're truly fucked. There's no gliding your way down.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I had a dream last night where I was going to ride in a chopper, but decided not to cause I thought it was dangerous....weird

4 hours ago, King Merk said:

The illusion is still going strong in the minds of his millions of fans ;) 

He did a great job of reproducing himself.

This is when it's good to remember the relativity of reproduction. His biological offspring may be gone, but his impact on society won't be so easily erased.

This will touch the hearts of millions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I was literally thinking of your video while I was typing that. Look at you doing a good job of reproducing yourself as well Leo ;) 

I deeply respect Kobe and his work. RIP

Edited by hyruga