Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pangolin

Help in finding out name of disorder

11 posts in this topic

For anyone who knows about different psychiatric conditions:

I have been trying to figure out the name of the disorder that is categorized by mood swings that cycle in very short periods of time. I've been thinking about the obvious bipolar disorder and cyclothymic disorder, but their mood swings are categorized as lasting >2 weeks. Even rapid cycling bipolar disorder takes at least a week. I'm referring to cycling that occurs in hours, and cycling that is very sensitive to outside forces (i.e. a significant other is having a bad day, and their gloomy mood and altered behavior for the day puts the person through a cycle of emotions.)

I don't know much about personality disorders. Does borderline personality disorder have these traits?

Doesn't sound like Bipolar, but could possibly be-

Borderline Personality disorder-

"A characteristic of this mental illness is sudden, intense shifts in mood - such as anxious to angry, or depressed to anxious - usually without the extreme highs seen in bipolar disorder. These are often "triggered" by what seem like ordinary interactions with other people. "

What some don't realize is that you have to have had at least one documented episode of hypomania or mania, that lasted several days minimum (usually weeks), to even be considered Bipolar I or Bipolar II. Trouble is, many don't recognize the symptoms of hypomania. Mania on the other hand, is more severe, therefore often noticeable.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 I always viewed Borderline Personality Disorder more as "distorted and unstable self-image" and "impulsive behaviors" and never put much thought into the mood swings before.

17 hours ago, Anna1 said:

These are often "triggered" by what seem like ordinary interactions with other people.

I didn't even realize that this was relevant to BPD previously. I wish there was more access to the general public as this seems really difficult to research as a student if you don't have the appropriate materials.

I wonder if BPD has an A-B-C sequence of "distorted idea of place in the world" --> "misinterpreting others" --> "mood swings", as in, the mood swings are a direct result of being unable to correctly process other's interactions with you,

Or is it the other way around? You have mood swings, and so your mood swings cause you to misinterpret the intentions of others, which frequently damages your self-view?

@Nahm I was approaching this more from an academic point of view. Is this an inappropriate place for my topic? 

Edit: Grammar

Edited by pangolin

17 minutes ago, pangolin said:

I wish there was more access to the general public as this seems really difficult to research as a student if you don't have the appropriate materials.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/913575-165741/what-are-the-dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria-for-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd#qna

The American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), (in the US) can give you lots of info. 

Here's a part on mood re: BPD

"Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (eg, intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)"

As to your question related to mood, maybe its both.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I get that too, although I also get longer depressive episodes. I think it's called "emotional instability" or "emotional dysregulation" (or less derogatory could be just a result of high sensitivity) and isn't enough to classify as a disorder on its own. Could be part of some larger complex of symptoms (borderline, cyclothymia, autism), or just a developmental feature.

@pangolin I don't think you have borderline personality disorder. It's a pretty extreme disorder. But then again I don't know you so I'm not 100% positive.

It's possible you're a highly sensitive person (HSP) with a lot of emotional baggage, which makes you yo-yo through emotional highs and lows.

You may have low or very low self esteem, coupled with high sensitivity, which causes you to spiral into a strong negative or positive mood based on your partner's mood.

So.. maybe it's not a disorder? But is bad enough to feel like one? Just speculating.

Regardless, you can overcome it. And reach a place of emotional equanimity. With time. With practice. (And perhaps with psychedelics and MDMA, if you know what you're doing).

I know you'll get there :)

@pangolin

You could either be an HSP a highly sensitive person like me (I suffer from PTSD) or its simply Bipolar Disorder in the beginning phase. 

My mom has bipolar and she was as you described in her beginning stages, just dismissed as random mood swings which are pretty common in women due to many hormonal reasons. But her symptoms got progressively worse where she was diagnosed with bipolar. 

Bipolar often goes undetected. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Do you have fears of abandonment and struggle with anger? If so BPD does sound likely, keep in mind through none of us are professionals @pangolin

On 1/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, pangolin said:

Even rapid cycling bipolar disorder takes at least a week. I'm referring to cycling that occurs in hours, and cycling that is very sensitive to outside forces (i.e. a significant other is having a bad day, and their gloomy mood and altered behavior for the day puts the person through a cycle of emotions.)

Rapid cycling bipolar can happen within hours in some people though it is quite a bit less common... I know someone who cycles like this... She's unbearable to be with sometimes, though we all love her regardless... She can go many weeks being relatively stable... It's best that you get a professional opinion if this is becoming a problem though...