Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alyosha

At a crossroads with my career/purpose

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I recently finished my associates degree at my community college, and I have been accepted into my university of choice which I will attend in the fall. I was supposed to attend this spring, but I was dealing with some health issues. This actually worked out for the best though, as I am considering changing my career path.

I have been majoring in business administration. I chose this path for the fluidity of the degree, as there are many opportunities for certain careers with said degree. My ideal path was to go into marketing, as that interested me a lot. But as I grow as a person, the idea of marketing sounds kind of feeble and it really isn't a career that I think would fulfill me long term. 

After really trying to listen to my heart and find out what truly drives me, I feel as if a career path where I help people would be the best for me. I could see myself sticking with a career for a long time if I feel as if I am helping others and creating positive change in people.

I am trying to figure out specifically which path I can take for this. I am trying my best to use my time before the fall to research this and have a solid idea, but sometimes I feel like I have a hard time. I know for a fact that the health care field appeals to me, as there will always be a need for these jobs, and I like the idea of working in a medical environment. The only thing that worries me is the requirement for science. Science has always been my toughest subject. I have had a difficult time in the past with getting good grades in my science classes, and it would be rather depressing if that held me back from a career path that I really liked.

Another path would be working at a university. I don't know if I'd like the idea of being a professor, but I really enjoy being in an educational environment. I think I'd really enjoy some kind of career that allows me to work within a university.

I have been looking up health care administrator, and that seems like an appealing career. It can be accessed with a business administration degree, so I wouldn't need to change my major. But this job seems to entail a lot of budgeting, and I'd rather not be a glorified accountant.

Can anyone provide me some ideas or resources for further exploring these career paths? What is the most efficient way to find what works for me? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Can you clarify what kind of "helping people" motivates you? Do you need and want to be hands-on, interact with people directly (like a nurse or doctor or even a consultant), and see the effect you have on individual lives? Or would you be happy helping in a more distant way - say, using your marketing passion to prepare educational health-care campaigns to get people to attend their preventive checkups? Both case you do something very useful, but the style of work is very different. Think about it, and if you can, get some hands-on experience with both.

Which one would you do if you weren't being paid? Do you find yourself involved with any of those things outside of schooling? You could likely volunteer in most of those industries or things relating to really try them too. It sounds like you really have some time to explore your options. I would take the time to really figure out deep down what you want to do the rest of your life. If you have the extra capital I would consider investing in the life purpose course. This was pretty good too