tsuki

Esoteric insights

24 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2020 at 8:58 PM, tsuki said:

I can't sleep. I went to bed at 7 p.m. and woke up at 2 p.m. Lots of thoughts about reality, God, Christianity, Islam, reincarnation, Hermeticism and my threefold division of experience. I may have to start an insight journal soon to offload them.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

First, there are the seven Hermetic principles:

1. The Principle of Mentalism.
  2. The Principle of Correspondence.
  3. The Principle of Vibration.
  4. The Principle of Polarity.
  5. The Principle of Rhythm.
  6. The Principle of Cause and Effect.
  7. The Principle of Gender.

Three Initiates. The Kybalion: A Study of The Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece (p. 6). Perennial Press. Kindle Edition. 

The Hermetic principles describe the rules of reality and I find them to be correct.
The first two ones are of greatest importance here:

1. The Principle of Mentalism “THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental."—The Kybalion.

This Principle embodies the truth that “All is Mind.” It explains that THE ALL (which is the Substantial Reality underlying all the outward manifestations and appearances which we know under the terms of “The Material Universe”; the “Phenomena of Life”; “Matter”; “Energy”; and, in short, all that is apparent to our material senses) is SPIRIT which in itself is UNKNOWABLE and UNDEFINABLE, but which may be considered and thought of as AN UNIVERSAL, INFINITE, LIVING MIND. It also explains that all the phenomenal world or universe is simply a Mental Creation of THE ALL, subject to the Laws of Created Things, and that the universe, as a whole, and in its parts or units, has its existence in the Mind of THE ALL, in which Mind we “live and move and have our being.” This Principle, by establishing the Mental Nature of the Universe, easily explains all of the varied mental and psychic phenomena that occupy such a large portion of the public attention, and which, without such explanation, are non-understandable and defy scientific treatment.

Three Initiates. The Kybalion: A Study of The Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece (pp. 7-9). Perennial Press. Kindle Edition. 

2. The Principle of Correspondence “As above, so below; as below, so above."—The Kybalion.

This Principle embodies the truth that there is always a Correspondence between the laws and phenomena of the various planes of Being and Life. The old Hermetic axiom ran in these words: “As above, so below; as below, so above.” And the grasping of this Principle gives one the means of solving many a dark paradox, and hidden secret of Nature. There are planes beyond our knowing, but when we apply the Principle of Correspondence to them we are able to understand much that would otherwise be unknowable to us. This Principle is of universal application and manifestation, on the various planes of the material, mental, and spiritual universe—it is an Universal Law. The ancient Hermetists considered this Principle as one of the most important mental instruments by which man was able to pry aside the obstacles which hid from view the Unknown. Its use even tore aside the Veil of Isis to the extent that a glimpse of the face of the goddess might be caught. Just as a knowledge of the Principles of Geometry enables man to measure distant suns and their movements, while seated in his observatory, so a knowledge of the Principle of Correspondence enables Man to reason intelligently from the Known to the Unknown. Studying the monad, he understands the archangel.

Three Initiates. The Kybalion: A Study of The Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece (pp. 9-10). Perennial Press. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

THE ALL is not everything that is, the universe. The universe exists in, or through THE ALL.
THE ALL is the mind that imagines the universe and everything that exists.
THE ALL does not exist, as existence is grounded in its operation. It is nothing.

THE ALL is an unknowable mystery.

The division of the human mind is four-fold:

1. Sensing
  2. Feeling
  3. Intuition
  4. Thinking

It has two perceiving (1 and 3) and two judging (2 and 4) functions.

• The perceiving functions are how objective, external, information is gathered.
  • The judging functions are how subjective, internal state is created.

The [subjective=internal]/[objective=external] dichotomy exists only in relation to will, or creation, of the human mind.

• Whatever we perceive exists outside of the influence of will of human mind and has to be acknowledged, accepted. (Yin)
  • Whatever we judge exists inside of the influence of will of human mind and can be interpreted however one desires. (Yang)

The human will is capable of creating subjective reality that is, or isn't, in accordance with the objective one.
Since the objective reality along with human mind is created in the mind of THE ALL, the Hermetic principles can be studied both by studying subjective and/or objective reality. This is why self-knowledge derived from spiritual practices is useful and is the source of happiness - it is, at the same, the highest knowledge about the operation of reality.

That is only possible because the human mind is created in the image of the mind of THE ALL and is equipped with the will to create:

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

Genesis 1 - New International Version (NIV)

The mind of THE ALL is not impersonal because it creates.

Edited by tsuki

The source of will is freedom itself. There are not many freedoms. Freedom that is the basis for individual mind is not imagined by THE ALL. 

Freedom is unitary and absolute. It is THE ALL. It is so free that it is free from itself, from being one. That is how individual minds of the world are separate.

Edited by tsuki

Within the individual mind, interpretation (thinking, feeling) of perception (senses, intuition) is subject to will. The way the objective world is, apart from what we judge it to be, is called LOGOS, the Word. LOGOS is the expression of will of THE ALL and objective world is happening in accordance with it. 

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

John 14

Edited by tsuki

Today I've been reading about Christian contemplative tradition, specifically about Jesus Prayer and related topics.
I started praying using it and I immediately noticed that its full version:

Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

has four-fold structure delimited with commas:

1. Lord, Jesus Christ, [YODH]
  2. Son of God, [HE]
  3. Have mercy on me, [WAW]
  4. a sinner. [HE]

It is composed of the core (Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on me) and the adjectives (Son of God and a sinner). The prayer maps onto the tetragrammaton (YODH-HE-WAW-HE). This mapping can implant additional meaning for contemplation when interpreted as the first four arcana explained in Meditations on the Tarot. The YODH-WAW verses contain the plea towards Jesus and relate to the spirit, while the HE-HE verses relate to the material/human manifestations of the preceding lines. If interpreted this way, the prayer has two-fold symmetry (1,2 | 3,4) and (1,3 | 2,4).

Additionally, it can be incorporated with a breathing practice, where each line is either a breathe-out or a breathe-in. There are two versions of such breath mappings:

Yang prayer:

1. Lord, Jesus Christ,
  2. Son of God,
  3. have mercy on me,
  4. a sinner

Yin prayer:

1. Lord, Jesus Christ,
  2. Son of God,
  3. have mercy on me,
  4. a sinner

Breathe ins and outs can be interpreted as the person's attitude towards the subject of the line:

• Breathe-in (yin): nature, substance, matter, receptivity
  • Breathe-out (yang): consciousness, movement, spirit, reactivity, relief

Additionally, the breathe-outs can be verbalized out loud and breathe-ins have to be thought.
This gives us two distinct prayers which I called Yang and Yin versions:

• The Yang version of the prayer, when verbalized sounds: Lord, Jesus Christ, [...], have mercy on me, [...]
    • It sounds like the shortened version of the prayer
    • When chest movements are taken into consideration:
      • The prayer expresses contemplation on the human nature,
      • It asks out loud Jesus to have mercy on me,
      • It accepts (yin) the Son of God and acknowledges the person's sins.
    • It's introspective in the relativistic plane and asks for God's intervention
  • The Yin version of the prayer, when verbalized sounds: [...], Son of God, [...], a sinner
    • It is uncomfortable to verbalize, even inappropriate to say out loud.
      This feeling creates an association with the God's name (Jahwe).
    • When chest movements are taken into consideration:
      • The prayer expresses contemplation on the divine,
      • It expresses the tetragrammaton as described by Meditations on the Tarot.
      • It expresses the empty nature of the divine (Christ and the individual soul),
      • It is creative towards the material manifestations of Christ (Son of God) and the individual soul's (me) yearning for mercy.
      • Expresses relief of sins.
    • It's introspective in the absolute plane and perceives creation from God's point of view.

More to come.

Edited by tsuki

Some time ago, I've taken up the practice of AUM chanting and I was contemplating the sound and its relation to AMEN.
While AUM is the sound of eternal oneness, AMEN is A(U)M-EN, the sound of likeness of God and men.

I was contemplating the Jesus prayer today (the yin version) and I found that its double symmetry reflects this likeness:

1. Lord, Jesus Christ,
  2. Son of God,
  3. have mercy on me,
  4. a sinner.

The first half of the prayer relates to God (AUM), while the second relates to men (EN). EN is the nasal version of AUM, it is created through closing of the throat with the tongue. I don't know why, but it brings the myth of the Fall of Men to mind - the disconnect from God through independent will that has the ability to choose against the Law. This choice is illusory and is, in effect, a lie that brings about the creation of Ego.

The structure of the prayer is rhythmic: odd verses relate to the spiritual, while the even verses relate to the material.
Additionally. there is also a progression of the verses in relation to unity and divinity:

1. Lord, Jesus Christ,    (unity in God, spiritual, Lord is Jesus Christ)
  2. Son of God,               (descendant of God, material incarnation)
  3. have mercy on me,  (individual soul that has spiritual likeness to God and is connected through its mercy)
  4. a sinner.                     (corporeal, material existence that is disconnected)

This whole prayer reminds me of the grape vine analogy found in the Gospel of John:

Jesus, the True Vine

15 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.

9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

John 15 New Living Translation (NLT)

This interpretation is especially poignant in the yin version of the prayer.
That is because the breathe-in accentuates the emptiness of the spiritual, while the breathe-outs "create" the corporeal.
It is a story of descent of Grace from God to men and the final breathe-out expresses relief from sins.

I will write on sin later on.

Edited by tsuki

In the yin version of the prayer, the progression of breaths is following:

1. [Breathe-in]: Lord, Jesus Christ, (the great divine Nothingness, empty space, that is the pre-condition for air)
  2. [Breathe-out]: Son of God, (Nothingness begets/exhales the incarnate God, word-made-flesh, embodiment of LOGOS)
  3. [Breathe-in]: have mercy on me, (as "I/me" become the empty space, your Grace fills me)
  4. [Breathe-out]: a sinner. (the final breathe-out is a relief from sins/wounds).

AM-EN

Edited by tsuki

The symbolism of breath in yin prayer:

• Inhalation/expansion: the body becomes receiving, spacious, it signifies infinity, boundlessness, emptiness, nothingness
  • Exhalation/contraction: the body becomes creative, begetting, it signifies finitude, separation, multitude

In the yin prayer the subject (the person) is symbolized by the mind and the object of the prayer (God) is symbolized by the body:

• In the first tact (1,2) of the prayer, the focus is on expansion and contraction of the body.
    Here, the body signifies:
    • (1-expansion) Nothingness/infinity/boundlessness that
    • (2-contraction) begets/em-bodies the Living God.
  • Then, in the second tact (3,4), the focus is on movement of the air in and out of the lungs.
    Here, the body signifies:
    • (3-inhalation) the empty vessel (soul) that is being filled with God's mercy/love and
    • (4-exhalation) is relieved of sins.

The yin prayer is suited for ordinary activities. It is silent, repeated in thoughts.
It symbolizes Nothing that loves everything.

Edited by tsuki

I started reading Philokalia and stumbled upon a different text for the Jesus prayer in the foreword written by John Paul II.
It has better rhythm, but I find it difficult to translate it to English. Literally it is:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, be merciful, to me a sinner
Panie Jezu Chryste, Synu Boży, bądź miłościw, mnie grzesznemu

The last two sections are different, and shift the polarity between God and men down the stack.
In the previous version, the third section ("have mercy on me") related to "my soul" and "God's mercy".
Now, the third section focuses on Jesus exclusively (as the source of mercy), while "me" is shifted downwards.

The rhythm is difficult to translate because the two last sections have exactly two words in Polish while expressing a pleasant polarity of God/men. More rhythmic translations to English would be: 

• Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, be merciful, towards me,
  • Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy, on me,

but they lose the expression of penance. It could also be translated as:

• Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, be merciful, towards this sinner,
  • Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy, on this sinner,

but we lose the explicit "me". Again, we could make it so:

• Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, be merciful, to sinful me,
  • Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy, on sinful me,

but I don't know if it's written in proper English. It somehow conveys the double meaning here, as if the expression "me", or "me" itself, was sinful. In this sense, this does not relate to the person, but to something the person does - the person "me"s.

If you look sneakily enough, this interpretation is also present in the original, so I will stick to this one.

Edited by tsuki

23 hours ago, tsuki said:

The symbolism of breath in yin prayer:

• Inhalation/expansion: the body becomes receiving, spacious, it signifies infinity, boundlessness, emptiness, nothingness
  • Exhalation/contraction: the body becomes creative, begetting, it signifies finitude, separation, multitude

I've been contemplating this today and it occurred to me that inclusion of awareness into the prayer creates two perspectives on breathing.
When awareness focuses on the movement:

1. of the body, then breath is viewed as change in its size:
    1. Breath-in is viewed as relaxation of the stomach and expansion of the body
    2. Breath-out is viewed as tightening up of the stomach and contraction of the body
  2. of air, then  breath is viewed as change in sustenance:
    1. Breath-in is viewed as inhalation that signifies ingestion and acceptance
    2. Breath-out is viewed as exhalation that signifies excretion and enactment

The first tact focuses awareness on size while the second focuses it on sustenance.
The prayer therefore has three components: thoughts, breath and awareness.
Their interplay make the prayer into a whole spectacle:

1. Breath-inLord Jesus Christ, [focus on increasing size] (relaxation signifying Godly selflessness)
  2. Breath-out: Son of God, [focus on decreasing size] (contraction signifying embodiment in the living God)
  3. Breath-in: be merciful, [focus on inward sustenance] (inhalation signifying the acceptance of God's love)
  4. Breath-out: to sinful me [focus on outward sustenance] (exhalation signifying the deeds that express love)

These two axes (size and sustenance) that are created as an interaction of breath and awareness mirror the teaching of Meditations on the Tarot. The book describes how the Hermeticism is an integral part of Christian tradition and is symbolized by Jesus' cross. The cross symbolizes the Hermetic Principle of Correspondence (As above, so below, as below, so above) expressed in two dimensions of existence (horizontal and vertical). The horizontal dimension is the phenomenal (space-time), while the vertical is ideal (abstraction and concreteness of Truth).

So, the complete interpretation is:

The thoughts that silently pray come from Nothing and are directed at everything.
In this everything, there is the body that respires and is crossed by awareness.

First, thoughts invoke Jesus Christ while the movement happens in the vertical dimension.
Vertical dimension is signified by size and is the movement from abstraction to concreteness.

Then, thoughts ask for love with humility while the movement happens in the horizontal dimension.
Horizontal dimension is signified by sustenance and is the movement from divine inspiration to human action.

In effect, the prayer is emptying the individual will and summoning Jesus Christ to act in the world through this vessel.

From now on, I will call the yin prayer "Invocation" because of its meaning.

Edited by tsuki

Yesterday, I've been contemplating the Yang prayer:

On 29.01.2020 at 9:39 PM, tsuki said:
  1. Lord, Jesus Christ,
  2. Son of God,
  3. be merciful,
  4. to sinful me

and I was focusing on the interplay between breath and awareness. I choose to focus on sustenance in the first tact of the yang prayer and size on the second. I don't know why, but it feels more appropriate. When I was contemplating this, two things happened:

1. I observed that the order of the interplay between breath and awareness in Yang prayer is the inverse of the Yin prayer:
    Yang: sustenance:breath-out ~> sustenance:breath-in  ~> size:      breath-out ~> size:      breath-in
    Yin:  size:      breath-in  ~> size:      breath-out ~> sustenance:breath-in  ~> sustenance:breath-out
  2. When I kept focusing on this interplay, I started to become mesmerized by it. I was drawn in, sort of hypnotized by it. It was like this movement of awareness between sustenance and size was not a disjoint shift between dimensions, but a single connected loop of expansion and contraction in two dimensions that are somehow connected. 
    Then, after some time I started to notice that when I'm focused on sustenance, the energy starts to gather around my heart chakra, as if the air was carrying the energy to heat it up. This had naturally led to associating sustenance with the heart, and size with the head. It gives an interesting perspective on the yin prayer and phenomenal-ideal dimensions.

The yang prayer feels much more private, personal, individual, human. Firstly, because I can speak the active part of the prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, ..., be merciful, ...). Secondly, because the divine part of the prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God" is paired with sustenance that got associated with the heart for me. So, in effect, calling Jesus is much more heartfelt and the fact that I'm speaking it implies separation, calling out. I feel like a lost child calling for mother. Pairing it with a praying posture has a tremendous humbling effect on me. I'm starting to get the symbolism of it, but I don't feel like sharing it atm.

I adore this picture. Too bad the details are lost in the avatar.

Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg

Edited by tsuki

I just realized that I'm my ❤️.

1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Gospel of Matthew, 6

If that's not a manual of practical divine magick, I don't know what is. The Father is equivalent to THE ALL.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
    but deliver us from the evil one.

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Gospel of Matthew, 6

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Gospel of Matthew, 7

The law of judgement.

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Gospel of Matthew, 6

That is sooo soothing.

Edited by tsuki

The practical teaching of the Invocation (Yin prayer) is the relationship between the mind and the heart - the ideal and the phenomenal.
The prayer is a love-pump. The mind that contemplates Christ brings him forth - from abstract to concrete.
Then, the heart, feeling His presence, transforms it to love and brings it forth to the phenomenal world.

The Yang prayer teaches the inverse - the way to transform the mind so that it is able to receive.
By calling His name (Lord, Jesus Christ) with an open heart (sustenance) and taking his body/teaching into it, mercy is shown.
His presence, which is mercy, humbles the mind and admission of sins frees it.
The prayer is cyclic: the mind that is free can call His name with an open heart.

1. Lord, Jesus Christ, [sustenance: breath-out, said out loud] (Heartfelt calling out to Him)
  2. Son of God,  [sustenance: breath-in] (Taking his body/teaching in with an open heart)
  3. be merciful, [size: breath-out, said out loud] (His mercy shown by presence humbles the mind)
  4. to sinful me [size: breath-in] (Admission of sins frees it)

The key to admission of sin is the law of judgement - Mt 6,14

Edited by tsuki

I wonder if anybody finds this journal interesting because I'm having the time of my life writing these. My intent is to unravel these prayers and get their underlying feeling, but they are so multidimensional that getting them through a linear medium such as text is very challenging.

EUREKA!

It's the SOUL! SOUL! I've been looking for this word for SUCH A LONG TIME!
The soul has something to do with intuition. Intuition is the sense-perception of soul?