Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hubert

The Six Pillars of Self Esteem - Chapter 1 - Sentence Completions (question)

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

For the first week I completed the sentences contained in the first chapter of the Six Pillars of Self Esteem. Nathaniel Branden now suggests that I should finish the sentence:
"If any of what I wrote this week is true, it would be helpful if I ..."
And my question is: do I have to do it without thinking while completing this sentence? Can I analyze what I wrote, think about it...? Do I have to do it in the same way as I completed the rest of the sentences?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

@hubert I'm also currently reading it and almost done with it. I think it should be done the same way as with the other stems. No thought corruption, feel it and do it intuitively.

So for example I write

"If any of what I wrote this week is true, it would be helpful if I will be more empathetic"

And then forget about what I wrote? Just trust the process, complete the sentence and do nothing about it? 

38 minutes ago, hubert said:

And then forget about what I wrote? Just trust the process, complete the sentence and do nothing about it? 

By doing these stems for weeks and months, it will drill into your subconscious mind. So you are trusting the process, but you've also got to believe that it will work, that's perhaps the most important part in all of this. You should also be re-reading the stems you wrote for the week on the weekends. You've also got to act upon what you are writing down, don't just write it and think it will come to fruition.  

Edited by fridjonk

I've done the exercises a couple of years ago. What I remember doing was going over the stems I completed for the week and just start writing about possible actions. It was more of an empowering session of writing about ways in which I could improve, of healthy behaviors I could assume, based on the honest and unfiltered sentence completions.

I noticed common themes emerged, as well as ideas of how to implement my aspirations. I think the process gives more voice to your intuition and higher self. It creates positive momentum, but it's still in your head. You then have to take action on the issues you genuinely want to improve.