Ethan1

Why are beliefs so stubborn?

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to understand more about the nature of beliefs. I watched the video. I'm just really curious about these things. 

Why are beliefs so stubborn??

Are there different levels to beliefs? Such as core beliefs to surface level.

Why is it so difficult to change a belief?

What's the quickest way to change a belief?

What is cognitive dissonance in regards to beliefs?

10 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

Why are beliefs so stubborn??

There's aspects of you that hold on to certain beliefs (especially the limiting ones) for dear life cuz they're identified with the beliefs! Your beliefs define you. In the mind of certain aspects of you, letting go of those beliefs equates to death!

10 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

Are there different levels to beliefs? Such as core beliefs to surface level.

Yupp! The core beliefs reinforce the surface level ones.

12 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

What's the quickest way to change a belief?

Internal questioning, self-enquiry, Parts-work, shadow work, etc. are all practices designed to uproot beliefs and change them.

12 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

What is cognitive dissonance in regards to beliefs?

It's the ability to hold/consider 2 opposing beliefs in your mind without picking a side, i.e. identifying with either one. That creates cognitive dissonance. Being present with cognitive dissonance and holding opposing beliefs as 2 sides of the same coin is a develop-able ability!

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

I don't think it's the beliefs that are stubborn. It's the ego. The ego usually resist change.

If you want to be a person who is easy-going to change his beliefs or a person who consider all beliefs as true as his, you need to know your ego.

Beliefs are fundamental to ego. If you think about the definition of ego you will notice that it is basically a limited identity based upon a web of beliefs. If we go on and see one of our core beliefs is contradicting the reality, then we get insecured because it threatens the the whole web of beliefs and thus, our ego. As a survival machine, we can not risk losing our ego as our ego maintains our "story". This storyline usually help us giving a purpose to life. 

If we discover that our beliefs are false, then our storyline looses its credibility and we experience loss of direction and meaning. We, as an ego, do not want that fundamentally. That is why changing or discrediting a belief is so hard in the first place. It is also a reason why spirituality feels so hard. 

My theory,

Changing your beliefs can lead you into possible survival threatening situations, you generally want to avoid ruin so you keep the beliefs that have maintained your survival and reproduction so far.