Joscha

Too many practices

8 posts in this topic

I've dipped my toes into many spiritual practices and I kind of want to do everything. But I also feel maybe slightly overwhelmed and I have to study as well so time is limited. I also don't want to "burn" myself out. The practices I do/would like to do are: 

- Vipassana meditation

- The work (by Byron Katie)

- Kriya Yoga

- Self enquiry

I also trip on either LSD or magic truffles regularly. I've consistently done "The Work" for many months now and its one of my favourite practices. I resolved many emotional blockages with it, so I will definitely continue with that. Meditation I have been doing on and off but more consistently the last months. The other two I've just now been doing a few times. I've had many temporary awakenings on my trips and feel more motivated than ever to awaken more in a sober state. And I've been speculating on how easy it is to really awaken on only meditation. Is it better to use multiple techniques and broaden the range of practices, or to go deep with just a few? And if I were to choose just a few, is there a specific combination that would be preferable? Or does it all depend on personal preference? I'm afraid to miss out on specific benefits if I leave one out , like enlightening the body with Kriya for example. Maybe you could share your perspective.

Thanks for any help and have a nice Sunday!

WHAT THE HELL ITS LITERALLY LIKE I AM TALKING TO MYSELF ON THIS FORUM! I JUST WROTE THIS IN MY JOURNAL TODAY 

What I do is experiment and find the ones that are most effective for me. Each person is going to have a different response to each practice. For me Strong Determination sitting is the most effective. Then do nothing/vipassana followed by kriya yoga so I mainly just stick to those 3. I haven't really taken self-inquiry seriously because it just doesn't make any fucking sense to me. There are 1000s of spiritual practices only a fool would think he can do all of them in one lifetime so just narrow it down.

good luck my friend

@Joscha You have to tell your self that its a long journey. So take your time with each practice and really dig into it. And then move on of it doesn't work. Psychedelics definitely might help you grab onto a technique faster. Kriya Yoga is most likely on of the most powerful methods you could choose. 

There are 2 things you can develop that help in every practice. Concentration and Mindfullness. Concentration is needed to focus when something comes up, and mindfulness is needed to recognise something that comes up.

You can cycle practices throughout the year, to keep things fresh and yet not overwhelming.

The point of trying lots of practices is to find those small handful which you will commit to. And also to have ones in the back pocket for when your life takes a turn in the future and you are in need of some specific one. These practices will be useful throughout the rest of your time at different points.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Chumbimba Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem! You are right, there are so many practices, so difficult to choose. Good luck to you too.

@fridjonk  You're right, it probably will take some time, but that is actually good. Do u know why Kriya Yoga in particular is so effective? I've done it and its so different from everything else I've done before. But I do believe it's powerful.

@Leo Gura  I didn't think of that, switching them up throughout the year to keep from burning out. Thanks for your advice! 

I think I will do all or most of these but not all at the same time. Listen to my intuition and what I need right now. Lol I'm so happy this forum exists.

Life is long, you can try allot of things, do not think that there is better practices, but you should know that they all are about strengthening your awareness, combined with their own form of  method that will help you connect to other states. 

Edited by purerogue

1 hour ago, Joscha said:

@fridjonk  You're right, it probably will take some time, but that is actually good. Do u know why Kriya Yoga in particular is so effective? I've done it and its so different from everything else I've done before. But I do believe it's powerful.

When i did it it was kinda half-assed effort by just watching some Youtube videos, i wanted to start right away. And it was more powerful than i could've foreseen. Next time i'll try it i will buy the books on the book list and do it properly. It probably works cuz it takes some effort, it's not easy to do properly. :)