Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dingo

Stoicism meets minimalism ??

3 posts in this topic

Is there anyone else, who thinks, that stoicism pairs up nicely with minimalist lifestyle?

By minimalism I mean the lifestyle one develops and goes by in regards to "external" phenomena... not the way one thinks, behaves and communicates.
I see similarities in the following ways:

1. One is not attached to material or external things, so there is no need to posses great number and/or very expensive items, coz after a certain point the basic need is met and anything further than that would be giving in into one's egoic lust for power, status etc.
  2. Living with satisfaction and enthusiasm, while surrounding yourself with simplicity (in terms of external objects and pleasures), so one does not become distracted from one's work.
  3. Ultimately, one's mind is the only thing under one's control, coz from this all meaning stems from. One's favorite piece of furniture, which has aided him for all of his life, can in a blink of an eye become just another piece of furniture like no other, if one changes his attitude about it.

I'm planning to further develop my minimalist lifestyle by slowly changing my wardrobe and house interior by...
Dropping down the number of things with similar use-case in possession. Going from 20 t-shirts to 6.
Choosing to stay with the things, that are simple and that is where their beauty stems from. Going from entertaining or commemorative t-shirt to a more pure/bare/modest outlook.

Though, my concern is about artistic beauty, as I do see great value in spending time in presence of items/works, which demanded great creative talent.
Do you think, that one can go for more colorful and funky outlook with great consistency, if one feels like it represents his inner values? Or do you think this is just an egoic need?

Yes and I do practice both. Recently I sold or gave away most of my stuff (and I had lots of stuff), started a backpacking journey in order to build a solid foundation of character and o have to say that this is like self-actualization on steroids.

@Dingo   Love it..

"Though, my concern is about artistic beauty, as I do see great value in spending time in presence of items/works, which demanded great creative talent."

I may have some of the details mixed but.. 

I believe artistic expression hit such a high degree of refinement and practice in the East that a new movement was birthed.. It is possible this is where Wabi Sabi came from...   It is possible to see the same "demanded great creative talent" through different lenses.  

I love walking and staring at the gravel or cracks in surfaces.  There isn't much in life that can't be marveled.  I find that humans heavily locked within duality need drastic comparisons to find a sense of rapture or marvel.  They need to see something rare, or something defined as amazing by the collective.  Granted there is no doubt that talent derived through commitment, practice, intuition, and raw ability is a marvel unto itself.   But for the mind that has been blown open there isn't much that can't be held with such amazement!

Cheers..