CVKBT

Does this count as a Pranayama Breath?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've been noticing that if my mind gets really calm in a meditation, one-pointed concentration or kriya yoga session, my breath switches to a really subtle breath. It gets really long and barely noticable, and in fact, I don't even think I'm breathing in a lot of oxygen.

It resembles a little bit the 'mock inhalation' (See J.C. Stevens "Kriya Secrets Revealed" P.194): "...perform a mock inhalation by expanding the ribcage as though you were inhaling, but without actually taking a breath."

In my case, I pull in and push out my stomach, ribcage & chest, while actually taking in really subtle breaths. I can't describe it closer than this. Remember, not a lot of oxygen inhaling takes place.

Now my question is: Can I do this type of breath as my Kriya Pranayama breathing technique? For many months I sticked to the Ujjayi Breathing. I know that my subtle breath pretty much contradicts the Ujjayi Breathing, which is noisy and you try to breathe in as much air as possible. After a long time, I found myself comfortable doing the Ujjayi Breathing Technique. But that subtle breath, which happens automatic, feels way more natural and powerful. I feel it way more and clearer, when visualizing/feeling the energy going up and down the spine. And I get A LOT calmer. But then again, every Kriya Pranayama Technique I've read so far tells me to do the Ujjayi Breathing.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading this far. :)

What do you think? Isn't the answer obvious?

Hey, I go to a massage therapist that makes me feel just alright afterwards. Doesn't feel really natural. I also also go to this other massage therapist where I feel amazing afterwards. It just feels so right. Which one should I keep seeing?

Edited by Esoteric

@Esoteric You're right, the answer should be pretty obvious. What confused me was the Pranayama part, which greatly focusses on the right breathing technique. I didn't want to mess things up and mix stuff. For example, when abiding in Parvastha, I always switch to the subtle breath. I guess my conscience regarding the Pranayamas needed a second opinion. I'm maybe a bit overcareful about "doing things right". :)

Thank you for answering, this might be a game changer!

Edited by CVKBT

@Esoteric Just out of curiosity: would the subtle breathing technically still count as a Kriya Pranayama?

@CVKBT Hello, sorry for a late answer, I don't get notifications when someone tags my name.

@Serotoninluv@cetus56 If any mod could look into that I'd appreciate it, been having that problem for over a year. Thanks.

Regarding your question. I'd say it's not that important if it counts technically as a pranayama. If you start out doing pranayamas and enter breathlessness, very subtle breathing or parvastha, you're golden. This is what you want, even if you enter subtle breathing after 1 pranayama you always abide in stillness if it becomes accessible. Forget everything about technicalities or traditions and abide in stillness for as long as possible. Good luck in your practice.

@Esoteric Sweet that's super nice to know, thank you!

For your notification problem: You've probably already done it, but you can check your notification preferences and tick whatever notification you want to get.

@CVKBT wow this is an interesting thing. I've heard/read that later you transcend Ujjayi. So yeah you can continue to do so, but be aware if any negative side effect comes at your working state, maybe you will no longer be in flow with life thus means discontinue that particular breathing. But yet that might not be a case. Maybe this breathing works on some chakras more than others thus disbalancing them. Keep an eye out and enjoy it, observe it, learn what that is.

Mahadev

@inFlow Wow I haven't heard that yet! I always thought that higher attained yogis still used that same Ujjayi Breathing or perhaps the Breathless State. This is really interesting! Do you remember where you saw that?

Thanks for the warning! This far, I've only had minor ego backlashes, so we'll see what the future has to offer. I'm always cautious not to fry myself, so always grounding myself is an important part of this whole journey. Nature, creative expression, fitness, cold showers, my career, friends and family all play a role in that hehe.

Thank you!

Edited by CVKBT