Chives99

letting go of the attachment to my family

4 posts in this topic

my psyche does indeed have an inability to give up materialism, the thing i cant give up the most is the attachment i have for my family. friends come and go and I accept that, so that doesnt bother me. My family on the other hand are always there because they are my family. I tell myself they wont be hear for ever so make the most of the time you have with them, make sure to visit them often as you are wasting your precious time on this planet by not visiting. When my grand parents died I accepted it and there the obligation to visit them vanished as they were dead obviously;perhaps my mind thinks that i can do spiritual work when my parents die, whenever that day comes.

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

6 hours ago, Chives99 said:

my psyche does indeed have an inability to give up materialism, the thing i cant give up the most is the attachment i have for my family. friends come and go and I accept that, so that doesnt bother me. My family on the other hand are always there because they are my family. I tell myself they wont be hear for ever so make the most of the time you have with them, make sure to visit them often as you are wasting your precious time on this planet by not visiting. When my grand parents died I accepted it and there the obligation to visit them vanished as they were dead obviously;perhaps my mind thinks that i can do spiritual work when my parents die, whenever that day comes.

You may believe that you have become detached but that is your mind fooling you. Firstly, a lot of advice that advocates detachment as a necessary condition to spiritual growth is putting the cart before the horse. The spiritual growth comes first, and detachment, or rather the distancing from material things and relationships generally follows. Please be aware that detachment is not an absence of love and care. If it was, you would be a psychopath or someone with a psychologically damaged personality. 'Detachment' means that although you love your parents or child deeply, you have a greater love for or experience of the infinite or universal soul. It means that your love for your family takes 2nd place.

Waiting for your parents to die so that you can then be detached enough for spiritual work is a really f...ked up view.  Please don't follow teachings that ask you to practise detachment - or you will be in deep psychological shit.

Edited by astrokeen

Far too much obsession with detachment in non dual circles, you can still love and appreciate those close to you, And maybe be “attached” in terms of you’d be horrified if they died, wNt to be there for them etc, remember we live in the west and we have busy lives. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi