ROOBIO

Moving to India

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am considering moving to India in the near future. I am from London, A place that is more developed then India in-terms of infrastructure and growth. India is quite behind in terms of its general position on the spiral dynamics model. I am from Indian decent, and have family there. But is it really wise to move to a country that has a lot of corruption. When I am planning to start a business there?

Also, in terms of culture it would be a bit of a shock. 

Has anyone lived in India? What is it like to live there?

My significant other is Indian, visited once and never wants to go back. Its very under developed, I would think hard about moving there for business reasons. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

My experience travelling and living in other countries with different cultures is very positive. It's cool to see what's different, but also what's universal and common for everyone. I think it's good to travel with an open mind and heart. Don't overjudge whatever you may find underdeveloped, may happen comparing a place like England with India. You may also find the opposite, some things developed countries have lost and would be good to reintegrate.

It can be a good place to set a business, why not. Just go, you can always return anyway!

Edited by Hatfort

I would say wait for 10 years. Lets see how it goes in india. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I don't think starting a business in India is a good idea.

Not just because of the corruption and red tape, but also because of the ridiculously cumbersome state-level regulations. It is much easier to do business across country lines in Europe, than across state lines in India. Sad, but true. 

Having family there would help, but honestly, as someone who has lived in both London and India, I don't think you would like it there. The only reason to move to India in my opinion, is if you want to join an Ashram or do research of some sort.

The best place to open a business in Asia is Singapore. It is actually very similar to London in many ways and what matters is that is that has a broadly similar legal and educational system, plus it is an English-Speaking country. Malaysia is also a good choice for similar reasons, though you may run into some trouble with Sharia restrictions. The rest of Asia is a write-off in my opinion, because everything works through contacts and a tributary system, as an outsider, you have no chance of success, unless you can find a trustworthy local business partner to team up with.  

The water situation in India is going to be a shit show in the next 10 years. Other than Australia, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are going to be hit the worst by systemic breakdown and war stemming from mass migration and civil unrest as climate warming feedback loops kick in. During the summer of 2019, millions of people were close to serious violence for their daily water needs.

No. This is a naive fantasy stemming from privilege. Stay in London. Millions will be migrating out of India within the next decade. 

I hope I'm just a clueless fool with loose fingers and a big mouth who is very very wrong. 

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

@ROOBIO What is the reason for moving to India?

If you were going there to apprentice under a serious guru, that might be worth it. Probably not so good for starting a biz, although low cost of living and cheap labor can be very important when starting a biz. But there are other places you could do that from that might be better, like the Philippines.

Online biz you can run from many places.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I've been there a few times. India is a huge country and some places are cool some are awfull. Mumbai is the business capital. I would avoid Delhi and Calcutta. Bangalore and chandigarth are nice. Goa if you like the beach. For spiritually check out Rishikesh.

As for business I think a friend of mine told me taxes are 10%. Which is super low. Of course forget about any kind of social security or health care. In India you're better of being rich or go study under a good guru.

Edited by voxun

@ROOBIO Not all the places in India are same. You can find some cities which are more developed than the others. For example - Banglore is known as the IT capital of India and as far as i know, it is quite developed. These developed places are at stage blue-orange with a little bit of green here and there.

Generally speaking, although India is developing, i do not think it is an ideal place to start business. India is not very developed socially. It has many superstition, conservative ideas and taboos. It can be hard for you to adapt culturally as you are intending to move from London. 

So if i were in your place, i would have definitely considered moving to India with careful observation.

I wouldn't even think of visiting India, let alone live there. 

I'll boycott the place till they do something about their animal sacrifices, all in the name of frigging religion. ??

Tons of thousands of animals sacrificed during the Gadhimai festival and not even used for food at least.

All that just to please the goddess Gadhimai, thinking it will end evil and bring prosperity, wtf?!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mohandas Gandhi

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

Indian here. Where in India do you plan to move to? I would suggest going to the reddit subforums of that place and ask people there. Be objective in your questioning, don't ask questions like "What's it like to live in India?", ask specific questions such as "how good is the internet service?", "Is the police reliable?"

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

I don’t think it’s a good decision. If you’re going there for a holiday, go ahead. Living there is difficult. Almost everything is difficult. Considering you lived all your life in London, you don’t even know the language. There are so many challenges you don’t know of or can imagine. 

Currently, the economy is going down too. The environment is heavily polluted. People are very religiously conservative. It is loud and crowded in cities.

If you can start a successful business in India, then I’m presuming you can easily be successful in UK. Go if you’re a masochist. You would make life difficult for yourself. Spirituality would be difficult if your survival is difficult (Maslow’s hierarchy). No disrespect to India, it’s just not good to live in at this moment. This is coming from an Indian living abroad.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@ROOBIO but have you been in India before? For I know you can get sick pretty quick, is a dirty place (I'm not being pejorative) I think is a radical move, maybe you can testing visiting a couple of weeks, see how things really works there. 

Let me know if someone moves India.... I am from North of India... Cold and Snow here so No worries..about India’s hot weather. Can check out my place- Shimla, Himachal.... I would love to make foreign friends.

Edited by Ingit

?IngitScooby ?

On 17/01/2020 at 10:36 AM, Leo Gura said:

@ROOBIO What is the reason for moving to India?

If you were going there to apprentice under a serious guru, that might be worth it. Probably not so good for starting a biz, although low cost of living and cheap labor can be very important when starting a biz. But there are other places you could do that from that might be better, like the Philippines.

Online biz you can run from many places.

Well, I have a vision for the betterment of the health of wildlife. I see there to be too much injustice to how we interact with them. Especially in places like India where there is a lot of conflict between wildlife and humans. My dream is to open a hospital that will provide medical care to injured wildlife and that enables their rehabilitation once they come into my medical care. I want to create change. I see we treat wildlife as slaves in certain areas. I have no idea how to do this though. I thought once I become a qualified vet I will move there and start working/volunteering with organisations that work to help wildlife. 

On 17/01/2020 at 3:06 PM, Amandine said:

I wouldn't even think of visiting India, let alone live there. 

I'll boycott the place till they do something about their animal sacrifices, all in the name of frigging religion. ??

Tons of thousands of animals sacrificed during the Gadhimai festival and not even used for food at least.

All that just to please the goddess Gadhimai, thinking it will end evil and bring prosperity, wtf?!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mohandas Gandhi

That's why I want to go! To help the animals. 

On 17/01/2020 at 8:47 PM, Derek White said:

I don’t think it’s a good decision. If you’re going there for a holiday, go ahead. Living there is difficult. Almost everything is difficult. Considering you lived all your life in London, you don’t even know the language. There are so many challenges you don’t know of or can imagine. 

Currently, the economy is going down too. The environment is heavily polluted. People are very religiously conservative. It is loud and crowded in cities.

If you can start a successful business in India, then I’m presuming you can easily be successful in UK. Go if you’re a masochist. You would make life difficult for yourself. Spirituality would be difficult if your survival is difficult (Maslow’s hierarchy). No disrespect to India, it’s just not good to live in at this moment. This is coming from an Indian living abroad.

Whereabouts did you move too? Yeah, this is what is confusing me. Lots of Indians want to leave India and work abroad. Maybe it is best to see what it would be like to live there for a couple of months first. 

13 hours ago, ROOBIO said:

Well, I have a vision for the betterment of the health of wildlife. I see there to be too much injustice to how we interact with them. Especially in places like India where there is a lot of conflict between wildlife and humans. My dream is to open a hospital that will provi red wildlife and that enables their rehabilitation once they come into my medical care. I want to create change. I see we treat wildlife as slaves in certain areas. I have no idea how to do this though. I thought once I become a qualified vet I will move there and start working/volunteering with organisations that work to help wildlife. 

That's why I want to go! To help the animals. 

I wish you all the best and hope you can make a difference ?

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

On 17.01.2020 at 2:23 PM, Dumuzzi said:

I don't think starting a business in India is a good idea.

Not just because of the corruption and red tape, but also because of the ridiculously cumbersome state-level regulations. It is much easier to do business across country lines in Europe, than across state lines in India. Sad, but true.  Cheap long distance moving companies see site G&J Moving.  Having family there would help, but honestly, as someone who has lived in both London and India, I don't think you would like it there. The only reason to move to India in my opinion, is if you want to join an Ashram or do research of some sort.

The best place to open a business in Asia is Singapore. It is actually very similar to London in many ways and what matters is that is that has a broadly similar legal and educational system, plus it is an English-Speaking country. Malaysia is also a good choice for similar reasons, though you may run into some trouble with Sharia restrictions. The rest of Asia is a write-off in my opinion, because everything works through contacts and a tributary system, as an outsider, you have no chance of success, unless you can find a trustworthy local business partner to team up with.  

moved??