Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husseinisdoingfine

Why does the Dalai Llama say ''Keep Europe for Europeans.''?

12 posts in this topic

When talking about refugees, he suggested that the refugees rebuild their lives, get educated in Europe, then go back to the Middle East because Europe is for the Europeans. I though culture was a 'self-deception'.

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

I live in southeastern Europe. People are migrating from here to western Europe like mad. And the thing is, these are not just ordinary folk that will end up in McDonald or drive trucks. It is also the high end people like doctors, engineers, scientists that migrate, in search of better life conditions ofc. In other words all the competent people that can run the country are not here. So you get western countries that benefit from these people, while this place rots and further destabilizes. Now, we have seen war and immigration, but not nearly as much as the middle east or Africa. Its far worse there.

I think it surely would be better to rise all the world upwards instead of creating more regional contrast. That is the main thing I think he meant. People can go back and help elevate their land, making it better in the process. Change has to happen from within :P

I also think he sees that multiculturalism and peace don't really quite fit together. So its a win-win in these regards.
Most folk are not ready to rise above their own culture in search of a common thing and also come from regions that are far different in lets say spiral development than the west. That complicates things, Sweden can be a good example.

It is a difficult question, that is for sure.

Edited by Yog

O.o Ooo

Nothing wrong with multiculturalism, it is more of a question how you balance it, multiculturalism can rise all parts of the world with time , but it also downgrades countries who have to put up with it, influence happens in both ways, it is not like people just come and adapt to new environment, they effect it with their own ideology just as much if not worse because of being more brute about it, it is like small fish asking shark to become part of their family.

I do not mean to offend people by saying this, I just think that people who are running with their hand open are delusional and naive, they do not understand upcoming of people who they are welcoming,more often then not they live in different environment, which is more cruel, which leads to them having to adapt strong traits that can be very hard to handle, these people are used to daily life being survival. 

No mention of how climate change is and will exacerbate the refugee crises??? No mention of how western military intervention & foreign policies has ensued chaos and opened the flood gates for waves of refugees to flow into Europe???  If you really want to solve the problem, why not examine the source???  

Dalai Lama spent his whole life fighting for Tebatan nationalism.

Given the era he was born in, you'd expect him to have nationalistic tendencies. And of course he is a cultural icon of Tibet. He embraces his culture.

Enlightenment does not free the mind of its cultural programming and biases.

More broadly speaking, transcending culture does not mean all cultures disappear and you cannot tell the difference between Japan and Mexico or Brazil and Italy. You just stop creating an identity out of any one particular culture.

I can acknowledge American culture, for example, without attaching myself to "being an American". I am not an American because I am the whole Universe. So are you.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Dalai Lama spent his whole life fighting for Tebatan nationalism.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

More broadly speaking, transcending culture does not mean all cultures disappear and you cannot tell the difference between Japan and Mexico or Brazil and Italy. You just stop creating an identity out of any one particular culture.

I can acknowledge American culture, for example, without attaching myself to "being an American". I am not an American because I am the whole Universe. So are you.

I think Dalai Lama understands this. The reason he fights for Tibetian sovereignty is not because he has an identity of "Tibetian" which he feels the need to preserve. It is because PROC was trying to (and still is) eradicate Tibetians, and he likes the Tibetian way of life and doesn't want it to be eradicated.

edit: to make my point more clear. Imagine you grow up in an abusive family where your father beats you and demands you become an Olympic weightlifter. But you don't like sports, you want to become a pianist. It's obvious you should not do what your father demands but do what you want to do in your life and play the piano. Even if you understand that you and your father are one, you should still live your life the way you want to. Not to protect your separate identity, which is ultimately imaginary, but to fulfill the reason you brought yourself here in the first place.

Edited by crab12

@crab12 That's all fine, but I would bet the Dalai Lama still has some deeper nationaliatic undercurrents in his psyche, simply given his upbringing and age. I could be wrong. Just my guess.

The point is that awakening does not automatically preclude nationalism. Zen monks have historically been very nationalistic, even supporting Imperial Japan's aggressive actions in WWII.

Also the communist party in China.

I mean Nationalism is bad in certain situations and good in others. It just depends on the environment.

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

There are two religion x and y whose people live in a country Z with state A for x and B for y. Both group are deep red/blue/orange and fight each other kill each other and want to force there religion on each other and they have a border in between. If a guy from religion X get enlightened and transcends everything and moves away from every identification and teaches about unity,oneness and all to people in his state and they all realize it, gets transcended from blue/orange to green/yellow/turq. Now they have no grudges against other religion Y and thinks about opening the border.  Will it be a good idea thinking Y people still in red/blue/orange comes in and  integrate with X people with different outlook to life or is it better to not open the borders untill  Y people also transcend or else they would come and kill x people.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Leo Gura Can I actively engage in, integrate, and enjoy a culture, and transcend culture? I really want to move to Japan, I love its culture,

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

@Husseinisdoingfine Be careful between your love for Japan's culture, and your love for your thoughts and beliefs about their culture. I was in Japan in the summer and it's a beautiful country and the people are incredibly polite. But i also saw a lot of people coming home off off the train at like 10 pm, and I think it's really hard to "fit in" if you aren't Japanese. 

Read a lot about expats experiences in Japan before you move. It's not all sunshine and roses there.

3 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

@Leo Gura Can I actively engage in, integrate, and enjoy a culture, and transcend culture? I really want to move to Japan, I love its culture

Yes

But be aware that the ego-mind easily gets too attached to things it likes.

For example, are you detached enough to admit flaws and problems in Japanese culture which require reform? If not, then that becomes the problem of nationalism.

Japan is actually a good example of a culture blinded by its own nationalism.