lostmedstudent

How to stay organized and concise in an interview

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

i am practicing for my upcoming interviews and i notice i tend to ramble, especially when it is questions i havent prepared for. does anyone has any tip to stay on topic and concise in answering interview questions?

how do i practice to improve in answering in a more organized fashion?

any other tips or video recommendation for interviews

thanks all in advance 

From my experience, I pretend I already have the job. And a face to face interview is usually just to see if you are a culture fit. They clearly believe you have the skills, or they would not want a face to face. So they are seeing how you would fit in with their already established team. Ask them questions as well, like how they manage, what does their typical day of work look like. If you feel that the interview is going well, ask what kind of hobbies they do outside of work. Once you reach this personal level in an interview, I can almost guarantee you will get the job.

One thing I had to learn, an interview is both directions. You should be interviewing the company and the manager just as much as they are interviewing you. 

I usually prepare for the third interview cycle. My first two usually do not work out, because I haven't been on interviews in years, and they ask you questions that I already forgot. So, take notes on the ones you stumble on, and then you will be prepared for the next interview. I don't know about your field, but for me, I'm an IT person and they usually want to see how much you know to what point then stop. No one can know everything so they ask questions to test the limit of your knowledge, just be honest and say "I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up." That's 100x better than making something up. They may play dumb games like "I'm smarter than you" by their responses so watch out for that, red flag (remember two way interview, do you want to work with/for someone who has to always be the smartest?).

Edited by poimandres