Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erixoon50

Fast Food Addiction/Binge Eating

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone here suffer from the above? I mostly eat healthy through the day, but once on a few days I would heavly binge on some unhealthy food - bread, sweets, pizzas etc and than I feel really ashamed and dirty. Sometimes I can beat that desire and sometimes I can't, the taste of the food is just to good to resist it.

Is it possible to completely get rid of that?

I don't have problem with alcohol, drugs, cigarettes ory anything like that - just food, I feel like I'm really addited to it and I can't control myself ;(

Food can be drugs pretty much.

Refined sugar is a drug.

All just another form of escapism, not facing your pain.

Are you sure you are addicted?

Nothing wrong with eating some junk food now and them IMO. If you feel like it has become an addiction, I would look at it's function. 

A good way to do this is to sit with the urge when it arises, let yourself feel the emotions so you can see what you're escaping through the addiction. 

Be compassionate towards yourself, take one day at a time and fill your time with healthier activities. 

Good luck! 

I heard from Jamie Wheal (you can look him up on youtube, he's got some excellent Rebel Wisdom interview.  Also his website = FlowGenomeProject), that there was a study done at Texas University which claimed that self-compassion is a more resilient skill than self-esteem (since self-esteem usually relies on external accomplishments and validation).

I've suffered from binge eating, and I know how shitty I've felt on it.  Baked goods, chocolate, and ice cream were my go-tos.  

I've been super good with it over the past year.

One thing i think that's really helped me was Leo's video on diet and the regime he recommends.  Particularly "Eating however much you want of the things you're allowed to eat" (no sugar, dairy, wheat, soy, and obviously drugs and alcohol).  

So, if I feel a hankering for something or a binge coming on, I just binge on peanut butter, bananas, carrots, rice, beans, maybe dried fruit if I'm at the store.  

I'm not saying that's healthy, but for me it's healthier than the other stuff and I feel way better.

Another key for me is to not have junk food in the house.  I even rarely have any dried fruit in the house.  It also probably helps to not be exposed to places where you can buy junk food in your day-to-day travels.  Like if you walk by a convenience store on your way to work, it might help to find an alternate route.  

Edited by Matt23
Adding a comment

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I am also on that diet that Leo recommends, my only concern is not eating enough of protein.

Also, don't you think that binging on peanut butter is equally unhealthy as on bread or cake for example?

@Erixoon50 I eat organic peanut butter (Ingredients: organic roasted peanuts), not the kind with sugar in it.  Even if I did eat the kind with sugar in it, I still think it would be better than eating cakes, doughnuts, and stuff like that.  I find when I eat wheat and sugar products I feel really sluggish, depressed, and way "off".

I think the bananas, dried fruits and dark chocolate (75% + dark) are the worst parts of my diet that I tend to binge on.  Rice as well.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins