Nash

If everybody did what they love in life, wouldn't it cause problems?

16 posts in this topic

If everybody followed their passions, how would any of the mundane tasks that need to be completed be done? Nobody would serve food or clean bathrooms if everybody followed their dreams. Shouldn't we all segment portions of our contribution to society to things we don't really like doing? For example, I want to be a musician but if everybody just did art than society wouldn't work. Shouldn't everyone do two things? Like I can make art, but I should also help design computer systems for example or be a waiter or whatever?

Another possibility, should society and I view "mundane jobs" as necessary stepping stones to progress to a passion we really want to be doing?

If every human took a shit in the same room, we'd all be dead.

Nothing material scales infinitely. Everything has to be in proportion in a complex society.

The mistake in your logic is that you assume that following your passion means that this should scale across 7 billion people. But of course it won't, simply because 95% won't ever even hear the advice, let alone follow it, so it's not something to worry about.

Following your passion is advice aimed at 5% of the population. And that is workable. And by the time 5% of the population is following their passion, that will open the doors for another 5% to do the same, and so on, until one day we can have 50%+ people doing it, and maybe some day 90%+. But this will take many generations.

You can be a musician precisely because most people have no interest in being musicians because they are not wired like you. Probably less than 1% of people in the world would choose to be a musician if they have total freedom to do whatever they wanted.

For example, human civilization would collapse if everyone became enlightened overnight. Which is precisely why it will never happen. Enlightenment is very rare precisely because it needs to be rare in order for civilization to sustain itself. But this is irrelevant if you are the one who knows awakening is your thing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well, if you could be passionate about anything that you needed to do then that would be ideal. But right now you are only passionate about a few things so we tell you follow your passion because then you can have a good life and only a few people do that so it's not a disturbance to society. But yes, ideally you should be passionate about everything, that would be an enlightenment state I think.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

1 minute ago, Derek White said:

ideally you should be passionate about everything

No, you cannot be passionate about everything.

24 minutes ago, Derek White said:

Well, if you could be passionate about anything that you needed to do then that would be ideal. But right now you are only passionate about a few things so we tell you follow your passion because then you can have a good life and only a few people do that so it's not a disturbance to society. But yes, ideally you should be passionate about everything, that would be an enlightenment state I think.

yep. that's what Sadhguru means by absolute involvement. No matter what you do, whether you're cleaning shit, watching a movie or stopping a conflict, if you do it with total acceptance and consciousness, to the point where it's simply enjoyable just by there being an absence of resistance, everything becomes joyful. 

But people aren't like that. They have karma, where they like this but don't like that(karma acts as a way of helping you survive) so people are only ok with partial absolute involvement. And this is what modern day passion is. If you're passionate about science, you basically accept science and resist everything else. 

It's possible to be passionate about everything, but it's extremely hard to do.

Alright, thank you @Leo Gura. I guess I just view things too far ahead into the future and want to be an example of how every human should go about this persay. I just assume that in the future when everyone is higher on the spiral and 90% plus or all human beings are following their passion, people may not be able to solely focus on that because lower order, mechanical jobs will start to not have enough workers. I sort of now see how I may be looking waayyyy to far ahead and should probably just embrace now. That reality is so distant in the future that anything could happen; robots will probably be able to cover all of those jobs even.

There's probably a lot of other assumptions I made in my logic as well that weren't very accurate.

Edited by Nash

One way I try to look at this is break down what people's different passions are.

You're right that if everyone just did the first thing that came to mind that made them feel good, nothing productive would happen and society would collapse. But I still feel like there are ways to improve the lives of even people who are most comfortable being simple worker drones or something like that.

For instance, a lot of hands-on, routine-oriented people might find some enjoyment and security out of getting work at a large furniture factory, but over time the excessive hours and poor conditions of that factory might start getting to them. In such a situation I would say that, instead of dropping out of that and going and becoming a wandering guitarist, which would be a lifestyle that doesn't appeal to them, they could simply start their own furniture shop, but one that values craftsmanship and quality over cheapness and quantity. They could still have that routine, but it would be a routine that also lets them explore their creativity in a way they never knew they had. They're not traveling the country in a van playing gigs at hipster bars, but they're still engaging with the creative processes of life in a way that makes sense to them, and moreso than what they were before.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

17 minutes ago, Nash said:

I guess I just view things too far ahead into the future and want to be an example of how every human should go about this persay.

By becoming a passionate musician today you ARE setting an example for generations to come.

The example must be set way early. These are seeds that must be planted hundreds of years in advance. Just like how the seed for democratic government had to be planted some 2500 years ago by the Greeks. Those seeds are still just sprouting.

Don't wait to plant the seed.

I just assume that in the future when everyone is higher on the spiral and 90% plus or all human beings are following their passion, people may not be able to solely focus on that because lower order, mechanical jobs will start to not have enough workers.

That is the point of automation. That is why automation is a very good and important trend. Automation frees up mankind to pursue their passions without needing to do grunt work. Most people simply don't understand this yet because living a passionate life is scary -- it takes a lot more responsibility and consciousness.

Qurān 18:103-106

Basically, on what really matters.

to 110

Edited by Angelite

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

No, you cannot be passionate about everything.

No? But why? Is it too hard or impossible? Honest question.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

15 minutes ago, Derek White said:

No? But why? Is it too hard or impossible? Honest question.

Try it and see if you can be passionate about everything. Test it for yourself. Try becoming passionate for every topic there is.

Realistically, how much can you do in <18 awake hours?

What does "being passionate" even mean to you?

Where does volunteer work fall in this? It's not my passion to work with animals but I still want to help out shelters once a week. It doesn't really have to do with my life purpose. Should I still do it?

Would being a volunteer be equatable to something like cleaning my house? It's not something that directly aids my life purpose but it's still necessary.

Do I just drop anything that doesn't correlate to my life purpose? Should I just never volunteer for anything again?

Edited by Nash

13 hours ago, Nash said:

If everybody followed their passions, how would any of the mundane tasks that need to be completed be done? Nobody would serve food or clean bathrooms if everybody followed their dreams. Shouldn't we all segment portions of our contribution to society to things we don't really like doing? For example, I want to be a musician but if everybody just did art than society wouldn't work. Shouldn't everyone do two things? Like I can make art, but I should also help design computer systems for example or be a waiter or whatever?

One scenario is that by the time 100% of the population follows their passion all the mundane work will be done by AI. 

@Jonac Well this is a good opportunity to learn to deal with confusion. After all, the first video I ever watched from Actualized was how to deal with confusion.