UnbornTao

Self-taught Philosopher vs University

25 posts in this topic

In high school, I felt like I was mostly wasting my time. The educational system didn’t genuinely help, nor teach me to, cultivate curiosity and love for learning and independent discovery, other than memorizing information and developing a few skills here and there. This seemed the norm for most students, if not all.

After finishing school, I got interested in poetry, science, philosophy — subjects that I used to be indifferent to back in the classroom, or even had grown to despise in some way due to the system's influence. Studying was more often than not associated with a chore rather than with an inspiring activity.

So I read books and did research on philosophy, psychology, literature, nutrition, business, and spirituality. So far, I've invested more than a thousand dollars on personal development books and courses – a considerable amount for me. I’ve explored the field of psychedelics, too. With this, I wanted to lay out some of my educational journey thus far.

Then, at some point, I considered that philosophy is about contemplating existence and generating insights on your own. I took that as a serious possibility.

Consciousness, understanding, self-actualization and learning are my main passions. Frankly, I’m not overly interested in academic philosophy. Why would you study philosophy at college in the first place?

I do acknowledge that going to university can be empowering and enriching for many, overall. My point is that if you're committed and disciplined, being self-taught in certain fields might comparatively be more straightforward and enjoyable than going the conventional route, since you'd be pursuing what you're passionate about on your own. It also depends on what kind of individual you are.

Da Vinci and Alan Watts, among others, inspire me as to the possibilities of autodidactism.

Thoughts?

Edited by UnbornTao

University might teach you critical thinking and the scientific method. Not taking random thoughts and imaginations of someone / oneself for truth.

University could push you to look into perspectives which you might have never considered / might think are "wrong". Not just living in a self-reinforcing bubble of spirituality.

Maybe look into studying biology, evolution and neuroscience. The cutting edge research in these areas is very interesting and might shatter a lot of beliefs you have about spirituality.

This might be exactly what you need

Thanks, @Stakres . Neuroscience looks like a fascinating field, I might look into it.

Edited by UnbornTao

Yh, I would suggest to just go by yourself, for me it has so much more aliveness and spontaneity to it, than dragging myself through the next uni course. People tend to put some of these courses on a pedestal, but the information is really available anywhere if you just take five minutes to look. For example at my university I can without registration, see the index table of exactly what is being taught and often quite a bit more. You can just go ham on this stuff by yourself, keeps things free and moving.

In general any perspective from uni, will contain some measure of the truth, but it is often very convoluted and seriously held back by the frameworks carried over from hundreds of years ago. So it takes some getting in to, to figure out what is being said, but I totally agree with @Stakres this stuff can be very cutting edge and the top level papers can really break you out of your bubble.

Might I suggest the Joe Rogan podcast with Paul Stamets, a real mushroom researcher, not extremely advanced, but it gets you a feel for what is going on at the edge of science:

Depending on what path in life you choose, it might be necessary to stick one out for a degree, but there is no reason to put that piece of paper on a pedestal.

Not the all university programs folllow the mainstream culture. For example my proffesor knows the limitations of positivist science also he is a non dual guy. You might find great use in academy if you know where to look at. I suggest you to check smaller departments and review their paper work. You might be suprised. 

Thank you guys for the advice.

I stumbled upon John Taylor Gato and the book Choose Yourself. Fascinating ideas on education, learning and individualism. 

As an addendum, I make a distinction between education, or info we accumulate at school, and learning. Besides, the essence of autodidactism might be defined as the following:

Taking full ownership for your education; being at the source of your own learning and joyfully following your curiosity out of intrinsic motivation, for its own sake.

In my estimation, most people don’t really seem to be doing that. Actually putting your ass on the line and not depending on anyone of course doesn’t imply that learning from others can't be done or isn't prioritized.

A main issue for me with the university path is how passive it is from the beginning. You're basically told what to study and to follow instructions. Sometimes understandingly so, though.

I'd love a video on self-education, learning, and the educational system — conscious education. 

Truth-seeking has the spirit of autodidactism.

That said, I’m considering attending uni in order to study psychology. After all, both approaches can be taken on at the same time, or one path can be followed at a later date.

Edited by UnbornTao

If you go with university, do survey this field well and see if the university includes what you desire, and give you what you need/want for the future

There are many effective, if not more effective options than going to university 

Where I grew up there was and still is a massive dogma around getting a degree being the only/best way to succeed in life. So if you avoid those traps that will be good 

That being said, right now is a great time to become an entrepreneur as resources (information and aid) are abundant, as well the as ease of creating one (cheap and quick to test). That's an option if you're interested 

I have a gut feeling that university won't fulfill your desires 

Some career options are: 

Life coach, a healing teacher, yoga teacher, chiropractor, or virtually any type of service field. These is always abundant opportunity in these areas 

You can also find communities that better suit your interests

Edited by d0ornokey

i am learning philosophy in uni. i think that they give you good skills for understanding the field and having good critical thinking. also if you want to make a change in the philosophy world you should know what the academia talking about and how to talk in their language.

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

On 1/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, TheSomeBody said:

i am learning philosophy in uni. i think that they give you good skills for understanding the field and having good critical thinking. also if you want to make a change in the philosophy world you should know what the academia talking about and how to talk in their language.

@TheSomeBody I’m curious: What do you study specifically? Which tools, texts, and resources do your teachers facilitate you?

What have you found most fascinating thus far?

Edited by UnbornTao

On 10.1.2020 at 9:46 PM, Arzola said:

@TheSomeBody I’m curious: What do you specifically study? What tools, texts, resources do your teachers facilitate you?

Also: What have you found most interesting thus far?

they give you large perspective on the subject,they makes you think about it really hard like leo. i study philosophy and psycology in a program that focuses on cognition and consciousness . in philosophy i learn mostly about ideas about the mind.

for now my fav is methapysics and epistemology.

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

@Arzola You should not go to university. It will only stifle you.

This advice is specifically for you (Arzola) not others.

Double down on the work you are already doing rather than distracting yourself with university coursework. You will not find Truth or Love in a university unless you bring it there from the outside.

Self-taught philosophy is the only true kind. The rest is parroting the words of dead men.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Arzola said:

What I would really like is Leo making a video on self education, learning, and the educational system — conscious education. 

Yes! and address university. I don;t know if I should go!

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Self-taught philosophy is the only true kind. The rest is parroting the words of dead men.

What is self-taught philosophy? How is it not parroting dead men?

Advice to young people deciding whether or not they should go to university:

There's no rush. One of the best decisions I've made is taking a year off after graduating highschool. 

Many people just use university as a (very expensive) distraction that gives them the illusion of safety and security. Is it possible that you only want to go to university to avoid the difficult emotional labour of finding your life purpose?

If your life purpose REQUIRES a university degree like engineering or medical...then definitely go.

But, if your life purpose involves applied psychology, philosophy, personal development, metaphysical exploration... a degree in philosophy or psychology will just be a waste of time, money, and mental energy.

But good luck convincing your parents or other people that this is the case ;)

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

On 1/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, electroBeam said:

I quit university half way and never looked back.

What were you studying?

On 1/14/2020 at 9:08 PM, LoveandPurpose said:

Becoming conscious, having breakthroughs, and generating insights into the nature of things. Wondering. Contemplating. Doing independent research. Working to experientially grasp the material. YOU being at the source of learning, in this case relative to philosophy (the love of pure wisdom and understanding).

Edited by UnbornTao

2 hours ago, Arzola said:

What were you studying?

computer science. 

University is necessary for jobs where you are to execute well defined, safety or mission critical tasks. These include being a doctor, lawyer, safety engineer etc.

If something goes wrong and you screw up, having a degree allows your employer to save face if questioned why they hired you.

In roles where your work is less well defined, and is not safety or mission critical, a degree becomes much less important. What's more important here is aptitude, experience and a great portfolio. If your employer hires an arts grad just for the degree - that doesn't mean shit, there's not much value there. A degree can't tell you how intelligent and creative you are. Only your history can.

These roles include the arts, and some sciences such as philosophy. 

Im in 2 roles now: CTO of a company, and computer science research engineer.

The first role doesn't have an employer, so no degree required there. The 2nd role is highly creative and not safety critical, because it's research. They were wowed by my portfolio of inventions I've made in the past(robotics, etc). 

Honestly I don't know why people get philosophy degrees. They are one of the worst in terms of employability. If you really want a degree, it would be better to get a doctor, lawyer, safety critical engineering(electrical, mechanical), psychologist, etc. Something where degrees are important and valued for that role.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, LoveandPurpose said:

Philosophy is love of wisdom. A philosopher is one who sits around contemplating reality. You can contemplate reality without reading a single book. Reading is not contemplating. You can go live in a cabin in the woods and be a philosopher.

Philosophers in universities don't do much contemplating. They are like caged birds. Don't expect them to fly very far.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo GuraIf reading is not contemplating, what is reading considered? Isn't the point of reading that it deepens contemplative questions, sessions, and more? Or is reading low-conscious? Just wondering what you mean.