Husseinisdoingfine

Why not join a religion?

45 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

I beleive beleif morals and dogmas are false.... May I laugh at this. It is so funny. 

I don’t believe that, I know that. Not interested in word games. 

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

Religions are not dogmatic. Dogma is a way in which some people relate to knowledge.
There are dogmatic atheists, scientists, possibly even philosophers, and of course, dogmatic followers of religions.
That does not make atheism, science, philosophy, or religion dogmatic.

I remember an extremely poignant passage from the "Archetypes of Collective Unconscious" by Carl Jung, where he looks at the development of rational thinking in humans. He observed that once we wake up to the possibility of skeptical examination, we're appalled by religion. Instead of owning our relationship to it and arriving at the conclusion that my attitude towards religion is irrational, we project irrationality onto religion and dismiss it as superstitious. There are, however, ways to read scriptures and partake in rituals that give you genuine relationship with God but they are not available at Blue/Orange transition. In my case, they were discovered in scientific wonder and the amazement of the Universe from that POV.

To answer your question in this context: you may want to avoid joining a religion because you're a freshly baked skeptic that does not trust his own judgement and fears brainwashing.

The true heresy is hearsay.

30 minutes ago, Derek White said:

I don’t believe that, I know that. Not interested in word games. 

Ok you know. But can you feel it is what it is. Not a word game just helping you out.

Truth is found in your ❤️. That is shortcut.

You never left it or you ever will. 

I think one thing a lot of people want out of religion, if not the dogma and absolutism, is the sense of devotion or Bhakti. I would say Bhakti is a completely legitimately tool towards awakening, so long as it’s done with the recognition that the thing you’re devoting yourself to is ultimately Yourself, and that the imagery, icons, teachings etc are just your own ego’s preferences for tricking itself out of itself.

In my own spiritual life I have many icons, statues, necklaces, and so on that help keep me grounded and act as reminders of the sort of life I’m trying to aspire too. Sometimes if I’m mulling over a life decision and my ego is getting in the way, my statue of the Buddha will remind me to make the more conscious, loving choice over the more unconscious, egoic one. Did that mean that the Buddha himself gave me that insight? You could say that, but that’s only because I am the Buddha, giving myself that insight :P 

But the point remains, in my unconscious state, that statue acted as a limited tool to help me to get out of my unconsciousness, because I personally have love for the idea and figure of the Buddha and having it there was the trigger I needed to make the better choice. The statue itself is ultimately just dust and air, and doesn’t actually represent anything that I don’t give it meaning to. Perhaps I am too attached to it at this point, but I must use the wisdom that I can use this attachment to create the conditions to ultimately let go of it, as I recognise that no teaching, symbol or statue can give me what I already am. With that statue, due to the personal makeup of my psychology that is drawn to the “religious” and the “sacred”, my mind feels calmer and I can then focus on deeper issues of insight, that I may not have otherwise been able to do.

I suppose it sounds like I’m advocating a pragmatic approach to religiousity/devotion/etc. Use it as a tool for awakening, a very beautiful tool, but a tool nonetheless. Follow your heart and always keep the intention of liberation and Love (and not ego or pleasant-but-ultimately-futile-mind-games) in mind and I can’t find much to fault in. 

EDIT: I say all this as someone with only limited experience with the absolute, so I am only speaking from my personal understanding of how to use these things. I concede that there may be issues with getting too attached to devotion. But for me, in the way I’ve described, these things have helped me to create a more calm and conscious space for myself and to delve deeper into self-development work, if not ultimate transcendence.

Edited by Apparition of Jack

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

I believe christians worship the same god as do muslims, it's the same thing buddhists think of, and it's the same god Leo and the others are talking about. Sure, the average christian has misunderstood what is god, but so have many "spiritual" people because it's a difficult topic.

What is the difference between an "SD turquoise" enlightened person and an "SD blue" enlightened person?

Edited by crab12