Ampresus

Should I temporarily quit the gym because of the holidays?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I have this dilemma during every type of break. Be it summer break or christmas holiday.

Like any other, I have some free time on my hands because of christmas. I don't even celebrate christmas. Now during vacations it is somehow harder for me to go to the gym, because I feel like I am giving up my free time. My time to calm down from the stress from school.

I go three times a week and am a teen. My break only lasts 2 weeks. Don't know if that matters, but thought I'd put that out there.

Do you have any advice for me?

(Just because I want to quit gym temporarily, doesn't mean I'll go back to eating unhealthy stuff like candy. I will still eat fruit almost everyday and avoid sweets, sodas etc.)

Reframe that mindset. You are doing active recovery for 2 weeks, to avoid burn out and letting your muscles heal. 

To 'quit the gym' will do you a great disservice to your identity as a gym goer. It will be so much harder to get the momentum going again when you have that mindset, as you are breaking the habit. 

Yes you need and deserve a break, but don't feel like you can't do other physical activities for the enjoyment. I also like the re-frame from obligatory workouts to self discipline (love), pleasure seeking is in our nature so turning work into pleasure is a real secret weapon for success.   

Keep going. Two weeks seems like a long break but, i am the sort of character that goes on vacation. Potentially, look at doing 45min to an hour session 3-4 times a week. Its manageable and gives enough time for recovery. I'd highly recommend getting your 8 hrs of sleep down. You will maximise gains and recovery. Furthermore, its impossible to lose weight with crummy sleep. There's certain things released in the body to spark cravings and hunger associated with sleep. The Walker podcast 1109 with rogan is a superb one to watch. Everyone wants to quit the gym lol. Keep it routine.