Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trenton

I don't know anything

12 posts in this topic

Recently, I had two insights.  The first was that all models are absurd because they are representations of reality and therefore not true except for the model itself.  The second was that in order to be fully open minded, I am open to the possibility that everything i believe is wrong.  This entails that I know nothing and true open mindedness comes from the stance of not knowing.

In exploring the full implications and entire slippery slope of not knowing anything, I struggle to grasp the full significance of not knowing.  It means I don't know what to do about knowing.  I don't know if actualized.org is delusional or not and same with me.  How can I tell if I am delusional or not with this glimpse, and if I am not what are the full ramifications of not knowing?

35 minutes ago, trenton said:

Recently, I had two insights.  The first was that all models are absurd because they are representations of reality and therefore not true except for the model itself.  The second was that in order to be fully open minded, I am open to the possibility that everything i believe is wrong.  This entails that I know nothing and true open mindedness comes from the stance of not knowing.

In exploring the full implications and entire slippery slope of not knowing anything, I struggle to grasp the full significance of not knowing.  It means I don't know what to do about knowing.  I don't know if actualized.org is delusional or not and same with me.  How can I tell if I am delusional or not with this glimpse, and if I am not what are the full ramifications of not knowing?

It is all matter of perspective and model, you are neither wrong or right is how I go about it, implying that it means that you are wrong and right  to think that you can be wrong  or right.

Not knowing is just tool to observe without interfering, or to get huge glimpses it new areas you could never think for being possible. 

To make it simple, you do not have to do anything about it as long as you do not interfere, it will come to you itself. 

@trenton there is a state of not knowing which brings an internal joy. Also you became aware of the problem of beliefs which means you are walking first steps in the realizing self-deception, after some time you will notice using your awareness that your own mind is lying to itself. You will understand that you are literally lying to yourself all the time.

Mahadev

That makes a lot more sense.  I keep assuming a right and wrong, but I don't know if there is such a thing.  In fact this assumption causes a lot of suffering because there is always doubt when I assume that there is a right.  Even if I could convince everybody I was right in the back of my mind I still have doubt about it, and I feel like I'm never right.  This makes it pointless for me to debate people because I am only suppressing my own self doubt the whole time.

@trenton You are not delusional. The only thing you can know is that you don't know.

2 hours ago, trenton said:

I struggle to grasp the full significance of not knowing. 

The mind wants to hold on to anything. It is scared to not know. Just see that energetic movement that tries to know, holds on, grasps at things. Let it fall away.

4 hours ago, trenton said:

The second was that in order to be fully open minded, I am open to the possibility that everything i believe is wrong.  This entails that I know nothing and true open mindedness comes from the stance of not knowing.

3 hours ago, purerogue said:

To make it simple, you do not have to do anything about it as long as you do not interfere, it will come to you itself. 

3 hours ago, inFlow said:

@trenton there is a state of not knowing which brings an internal joy. Also you became aware of the problem of beliefs which means you are walking first steps in the realizing self-deception, after some time you will notice using your awareness that your own mind is lying to itself. You will understand that you are literally lying to yourself all the time.

@Nak Khid

All of you! Thanks for this. Powerful feeling swept over me reading the above (honestly, not even kidding), and I will watch that video too. For me personally, to try to stay in "not-knowing" mind can keep my ego and/or monkey mind from getting carried away. 

9 hours ago, trenton said:

all models are absurd because they are representations of reality and therefore not true except for the model itself.

Interesting model, indeed ?

I don't know about others, but for me, these inquiries have become irrelevant. To know or not to know, it doesn't matter at all.

"Non dualism points to the unknowing emptiness, appearing as what is, which is beyond experience and knowing.

The individual is real only in reference to knowing. Knowing is the currency of the individual. Experience is the currency of knowing.
This sharing undermines the veracity of the claim, that the individual is what it experiences itself to be. It explores the possibility, that what is beyond experience and beyond knowing, is what is longed for".

- Jim Newman

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

9 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

@trenton You are not delusional. The only thing you can know is that you don't know.

The mind wants to hold on to anything. It is scared to not know. Just see that energetic movement that tries to know, holds on, grasps at things. Let it fall away.

I wanted to mention the fear I constantly feel.  When not knowing, I become very uncomfortable.  This leads my mind to darting off in a million directions.  When I find any one thing, my mind then runs on a loop repeatedly about the one point.  After laughing for a bit, I realize that nothing is coming from this thought loop, and then I become threatened again causing the whole situation to reset.  Good observation.

3 hours ago, trenton said:

I wanted to mention the fear I constantly feel.  When not knowing, I become very uncomfortable.  This leads my mind to darting off in a million directions.  When I find any one thing, my mind then runs on a loop repeatedly about the one point.  After laughing for a bit, I realize that nothing is coming from this thought loop, and then I become threatened again causing the whole situation to reset.  Good observation.

Laughing is good. That means you can see the emptiness in it. Are you afraid of this fear?

@WelcometoReality if you mean emptiness  that comes from not knowing, there is a mixture initially.  Some crying and fear that is hard to explain followed by laughter.  Otherwise, I can laugh at whatever comes to mind after darting off in many directions until I find something to laugh at.  I don't need to be afraid of emptiness if my fears are not really justified.