Nickyy

"Raw Vegan" Parents Face Death Penalty for Starving Their 18 mo Child to Death

5 posts in this topic

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vegan-couple-florida-charged-murder-toddler-s-starvation-death-n1104816

A Florida couple who told police that they fed their children only raw fruits and vegetables was charged on Wednesday in the starvation death of their 18-month-old son, authorities said.

Ryan Patrick O'Leary, 30, and Sheila O'Leary, 35, of Cape Coral, were indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two counts of child neglect, State Attorney Amira Fox said at a press conference Wednesday.

The O'Learys called police on Sept. 27 when they noticed that their toddler had gone cold, and despite their attempts to resuscitate the child, he was pronounced dead when paramedics arrived at their home, according to Fort Myers News-Press

Cape Coral police said that early on in the investigation it was apparent the boy was a victim of neglect.

The 18-month-old only weighed 17 pounds, according to a Cape Coral police report obtained by The Associated Press, which is about the amount a 7-month-old should weigh.

The couple told police they were vegan and fed their children only raw fruits and vegetables.

"The evidence in this case is horrendous," Fox said, who accused the parents of "torture" at the presser and said the child died due to "starvation and extreme lack of care."

The couple's three other children, ages 3, 5, and 11, were also victims of child abuse and extreme neglect, authorities said.

The 3- and 5-year-olds are now in state custody, and the 11-year-old is in the care of her biological father, according to NBC Fort Myers affiliate WBBH.

In November, the parents were charged with aggravated manslaughter, but the charges were upgraded after the grand jury indictment. They will be arraigned on Monday, Dec. 23, and WBBH reports they could face the death penalty.

If anyone claims that the vegan diet is a species specific diet then show them this article, because they are clearly deluded.

Edited by Nickyy

Oh yeahhhh goood to have in the arsenal fosho! Not that this speculative article has any actual evidence without obvious agenda. I’ve never been a raw vegan but I’m curious what the purpose of this post is exactly? 

Are you a victim of the diet? Are you speaking against all diets in general or simply fighting against the many beliefs endangering your own?

Anyone claiming to know a species specific diet other than what is currently happening on earth (loads of fads) is simply stating an opinion. Someone threatened by opinions is unsure what to believe 

if you’re interested I can hook you up with some real deal vegan advocates that take the discipline beyond the beliefs, but then again I have a feeling I know exactly why you’re posting such news ?

Edited by DrewNows

Many claims can be made that what this article says and what you take from it are both highly diverse. 

In fact there are many details left out that imply your direct interpretation of the facts.

I. E. The death of the child might not have been due to a conscious raw vegan diet but rather because the parents left out neccesary ingredients which could have also been included into a raw vegan diet.

Please reflect more consciously on threads you create since this one does not indicate the actual fact that a raw vegan diet is wrong but rather one comes to.the conclusion that the parents left out neccesary parts for the newborn which could have been substituted in a raw vegan diet. 

On 12/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, Nickyy said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vegan-couple-florida-charged-murder-toddler-s-starvation-death-n1104816

A Florida couple who told police that they fed their children only raw fruits and vegetables was charged on Wednesday in the starvation death of their 18-month-old son, authorities said.

Ryan Patrick O'Leary, 30, and Sheila O'Leary, 35, of Cape Coral, were indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two counts of child neglect, State Attorney Amira Fox said at a press conference Wednesday.

The O'Learys called police on Sept. 27 when they noticed that their toddler had gone cold, and despite their attempts to resuscitate the child, he was pronounced dead when paramedics arrived at their home, according to Fort Myers News-Press

Cape Coral police said that early on in the investigation it was apparent the boy was a victim of neglect.

The 18-month-old only weighed 17 pounds, according to a Cape Coral police report obtained by The Associated Press, which is about the amount a 7-month-old should weigh.

The couple told police they were vegan and fed their children only raw fruits and vegetables.

"The evidence in this case is horrendous," Fox said, who accused the parents of "torture" at the presser and said the child died due to "starvation and extreme lack of care."

The couple's three other children, ages 3, 5, and 11, were also victims of child abuse and extreme neglect, authorities said.

The 3- and 5-year-olds are now in state custody, and the 11-year-old is in the care of her biological father, according to NBC Fort Myers affiliate WBBH.

In November, the parents were charged with aggravated manslaughter, but the charges were upgraded after the grand jury indictment. They will be arraigned on Monday, Dec. 23, and WBBH reports they could face the death penalty.

If anyone claims that the vegan diet is a species specific diet then show them this article, because they are clearly deluded.

First off, my heart goes out to the 17-month-old baby that died, the other three children that survived, the two that are in state custody, the one that lives with his biological father, to the parents that are involved in their child's death. May the children feel love, joy, and be free of suffering and be able to move on from this incident one day. Hard for me to say this, but may the parents feel love and be free of suffering, for however their actions were taken, intentionally or ignorantly, that culminated in this baby's death. May the authorities be lenient in passing their sentence, and I hope that the death penalty is overturned, and if not, may their death be painless.

For the OP, I don't know you or this entire situation fully, and this is but one article on one media site. There might be other factors besides this diet causing this baby's death, or other cases where this diet does work (because of ancestry, genetics, other bodily factors, environment...). Like most horrible situations, it all seems to always come from ignorance.

"Forgive them father, for they do not know what they did.", Jesus Christ.