Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raze

J K Rowling accused of transphobia

15 posts in this topic

There are different ways of looking at the same thing. This binary / non binary gender identity debates, I honestly think both visions can be valid in their own way, even if they contradict each other.

I don't think Rowling or anybody is necesarilly transphobic just for having a strict binary gender view, in fact many trans people do as well, and I agree with her that firing someone for expressing that is not right.

Edited by Hatfort

I both agree and disagree with her. 

I agree with her that a person should not be fired for their opinions because it's freedom of thought. 

But I disagree with her for having supported a anti trans activist. She could have bypassed this by saying she doesn't necessarily agree with the activist yet does not find it fair for her to be fired. But she didn't do that. 

She has previously supported another anti trans activist so I think this tweet was deliberate. More like a statement. 

Transgender people are also people who need value and respect in society and their status cannot be denied. To deny their gender is to deny them respect. 

I won't say it is transphobic  but it's definitely not supportive of transgender communities. 

11 hours ago, CreamCat said:

I don't even know what she means by "sex is real".

By saying that she means that gender is not binary which means that only 2 gender exist that is male and female and this is decided at birth by the body anatomy and that sex change is just superficial and does not mean that a real sex change has happened. In other words a transgender man who was a woman is still a woman in her eyes and a transgender woman who was a man before is still a man. She does not identify their current gender but only the gender they were born with and thus according to her gender interchange is not possible 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Complete gender swapping is not possible, yet. I don't really care either way. If they want to be seen as the opposite sex, give them that.

19 hours ago, Preety_India said:

By saying that she means that gender is not binary which means that only 2 gender exist that is male and female and this is decided at birth by the body anatomy and that sex change is just superficial and does not mean that a real sex change has happened.

Be careful not to speculate. Some, like me, view sex as unchangeable (As your biological sex) while viewing gender as an identity. "Sex is real" could mean multiple things that we cant know, so we should rather wait for Rowling to specify her message before beheading her on the block.

It's so funny. To say JKR is transphob is like Leo Videos are shallow.

It goes down to your metaphysics. I claim that we construct reality on the base of a materialistic world.
So yeah, you can make up whatever concept you want - and it becomes even public reality if enough people believe in it. If the Contradictions become ever to big, the made up on concept will be ether a. dropped or b. even stronger believed. 

Right now is trans* the pet concept of the decade, very postmodern and so on. Green people reacting versus Blue. Same old Song.

The whole debate is complicated, but not sophisticated. Maya: A Person can not change sex. Yeah, but seldom anybody claimed that, aren't they? It's the change of gender. Two different concepts in gender studies (juhu, my 1 gender studies course finally good for a conversation)

6 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

It's so funny. To say JKR is transphob is like Leo Videos are shallow.

Its kind of ridiculous that in western world our media can take something like 1 phrase and then use their imagination to create a whole backstory to that phrase just to create some ad revenue, and then people actually take that story and think its true.

If Trump tweeted something like "Hitlers funding to the medicine is still saving lifes today" the media would somehow twist that into "Trump believes in third reich and that the germanic people is the superior race". I wonder if everything was viewed through such a black and white lens 20 years ago

Gender and sex tend to get mixed up quite often nowadays.

In a clumsy way:
-Sex is the bunch of organs, hormones, bones you were born with.
-Gender is, where, or with what you want to poke some of those organs in.

And, no, she is not trans-phobic.

Edited by Yog

19 hours ago, Yog said:

Gender is, where, or with what you want to poke some of those organs in.

That is sexual attraction, which does not define gender. 

A lot of guys are highly contracted into views of sexual penetration and are missing a lot about human sexuality and gender. It goes way beyond penile penetration. 

@Serotoninluv Yes it does, ofc, It is a deeper and quite nuanced topic, that's for sure.

Tried to create some simple surface level contrast that can can easily be related to, than things can go deeper later.

28 minutes ago, Yog said:

@Serotoninluv Tried to create some simple surface level contrast that can can easily be related to

It’s not the simplicity of the description, it is the accuracy. Gender isn’t defined as where one wants to stick their sexual organs. That is a simplified description of sexual orientation, not gender.

It would be like defining an athlete by their diet. Simple, yet inaccurate. 

20 hours ago, Yog said:

-Sex is the bunch of organs, hormones, bones you were born with.
-Gender is, where, or with what you want to poke some of those organs in.

I know this is a dualistic perspective, but the physical aspect of gender (organs, hormones, DNA etc) doesn't always align with the psychological aspect. As when some people feel from a young age that they are the 'other' gender in their mind and feelings, from their physical body. Some components of the physical body can be changed - organs, hormones, although not currently DNA.  I wonder if this issue gets resolved at SD stage green, which has less of a problem with grey areas, changing and relativity of categories such as male and female. 

@Serotoninluv
Well it was clumsy to begin with, it wasn't accuracy I was aiming for anyway.
It was more like what @silene just said here. It was probably a bad wording for what I wanted to say.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, silene said:

I know this is a dualistic perspective, but the physical aspect of gender (organs, hormones, DNA etc) doesn't always align with the psychological aspect.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, silene said:

I wonder if this issue gets resolved at SD stage green, which has less of a problem with grey areas, changing and relativity of categories such as male and female. 

It certainly gets better , spectrum gets wider, people recognize certain aspects of themselves have certain feminine/masculine gravity, in healthy cases it gets integrated. But to be fully blown into it requires some Turquoise stuff.

I do think it is a delicate subject, these things are quite intertwined. While the gender thing might be important to mine, yours and others self inner development, freedom and happiness, also leak that into other lives. This differentiation of male and female as in sex is quite a pillar for people in medicine, pharmacy, bilogy, paleontology and rows of other hard disciplines.

I think that is where this main gender/sex friction is happening. The more social/psychological based areas are colliding with more hard science based areas, With all the feelings in the world bag, it gets quite some outrage, from many sides. I guess we will resolve that in the next 10 years.

To link it back to the main thread and not go off-topic.

Edited by Yog

I love when all my the virtue signaling blows up. South park made a hilarious episode about macho man CRUSHING records in women's competitions. Its ridiculous but the points are telling. 

This is a with example of dog  eats dog.